Guld from Skyward Sword
Guld is the elderly leader of the Mogmas of the Eldin Province. He is hoping to retire soon, and is searching for a new leader to replace him. He hopes to live another in land upon retiring where he can develop new digging techniques.
Link first meets Guld early in the Fire Sanctuary. The old Mogma at first thinks that the hero is a Bokoblin. However, after seeing his Digging Mitts, Guld relaxes and tells Link that he is the Mogmas' leader as well as the inventor of the Digging Mitts. The elder then informs the hero that there has been talk about a huge treasure, and that the key to finding this treasure revolves around a "sleeping statue" located deep within the Sanctuary.
Later on, Kina, one of the owners of the Lumpy Pumpkin, remarks that plowing the field is tiresome, and that she wishes there were someone who was good at digging to help around in the field. If Link revisits the subterranean tunnels of Eldin Volcano, he will find Guld situated on top of one of the rock pillars, which can only be reached while Link is diving into the area. Guld will comment that the heat is making him unable to find any treasure, and that he would like to have a job in a cooler climate with a beautiful view. Link tells the old Mogma that he knows a place, and Fi calls down Scrapper to transport Guld to Pumpkin Landing. Upon reaching Pumpkin Landing, Guld will be disappointed at first that Link is trying to get him to work in the field. Fortunately, the Mogma becomes more content with the situation, after displaying his digging skills to Kina. As a reward, five Gratitude Crystals form because of Kina's gratitude for Guld's coming to help work in the fields. At night, Guld reveals that he believes Kina is "falling for him" and "eying him". This encourages him to work even harder.
Afterward, Link can talk to the Mogmas back in the Eldin Province about Guld's disappearance. When Link tries to explain to Silva that Guld has gone to the sky, he misinterprets the explanation as an euphemism for Guld's death. In response, Silva vows to make Guld proud, and asks Guld to watch over him from wherever the elder may be.
Guld's name is derived from the metal gold. In the Latin American Spanish, French and Italian versions, his name is derived from aurum, the Latin word for gold.
|Names in Other Regions|
Concept art of Guld from Hyrule Historia
- "He is the "boss" of the Mogmas. He is currently seeking a new leader to replace him." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 51 (SS)
- "After retiring, he would like to live in a scenic land where he can work on new and efficient burrowing techniques." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "Don't scare me like that! I thought you were one of those monster creeps!" — Guld (Skyward Sword)
- "Hmm... I getcha. Huh? Me? Oh yah, the name's Guld. I'm the big boss of the Mogmas. Those Digging Mitts you got right there... I invented 'em! Hahah!" — Guld (Skyward Sword)
- "All right, then... I'm gonna let you in on an ancient treasure-hunting legend passed down among generations of Mogmas. Every Mogma worth a handful o' dirt knows this one... Here we go... “Ye who seek the entrance to the king's treasure, look for the two statues that face one another." “Show your bravery and jump into the mouth of the sleeping statue. Do this, and the path will open before you." You remember all that, and you're golden." — Guld (Skyward Sword)
- "Thanks to you, we're ready to plant the new seeds! The only thing is, plowing the patch so that it's ready to be planted is hard work! If only there was someone who was really good at plowing the field..." — Kina (Skyward Sword)
- "How've I been? Awful nice of ya to ask. Lemme see... I've been searchin' high and low for new treasure, but I've come up empty pawed. I gotta say, I'm tired of diggin' after my fortune in this blast furnace. I'm startin' to think it's time I gave up this life of treasure hunting and settle down to enjoy my twilight years. If I'm going to retire, I want to live in a place up high with a glorious view. I've lived most of my life underground, it's true, but I still gaze up at that sky. It's so...big and blue and fluffy. If I had my way, I'd like to come back in my next life as a bird and spend my time soaring the wild blue yonder." — Guld (Skyward Sword)
- "C'mon! Are you seriously trying to get me to work on a field all day?! Is that why you hauled me all the way up here into the sky? What?! But you... Well...I suppose... I guess I could at least give it a try." — Guld (Skyward Sword)
- "Hah...Nothing like a dirty day's work to make a guy feel alive! Especially when I see that girl. Makes all the tiredness just melt away. Say...have you seen the way she's been eying me? I think that girl's fallen for me! Lemme tell you, it makes me want to work even harder tomorrow!" — Guld (Skyward Sword)
- "Beyond? Um...beyond? Whaddya mean "beyond"? Are you telling me he's "gone" gone? I mean, we all gotta go sometime...but, wow..." — Silva (Skyward Sword)
- "Elder...I'm gonna do ya proud--just wait and see. I hope ya watch over me from wherever you are now!" — Silva (Skyward Sword)