Grog in Majora's Mask
|Era||Era of the Hero of Time|
|Family||Ocarina of Time:|
Master Craftsman (father)
Cucco Lady (sister)
Ocarina of Time
Grog goes unnamed in Ocarina of Time, where he appears as a depressed deadbeat. While Link is a child, Grog can be found underneath the tree near the entrance to Kakariko Village at night. He is the Master Craftsman's son and the Cucco Lady's brother. He also appears to be the Granny's grandson, but it is also possible that she is his mother. When Link speaks to Grog, he will comment on how he finds everyone, including his own mother and father, to be disgusting.
Grog is part of the Trading Sequence. When Link is an adult, and talks to the Cucco Lady after waking Talon with the Pocket Cucco, she will give Link a blue Cucco named Cojiro. She mentions that the Cucco used to belong to her brother, and ever since he disappeared, Cojiro has stopped crowing. Link can then find Grog in the Lost Woods sleeping beside a tree stump where a Skull Kid would play his flute. When Link shows him Cojiro, he will wake up and be surprised that someone else has been able to tame the Cucco. Taking this as a sign that Link is a "nice guy," he asks the hero to deliver an Odd Mushroom to the old lady in the Potion Shop.
Upon showing the Odd Mushroom to the Potion Shop Lady, she calls Grog a "bum" for going into the Lost Woods, and asks Link that if he sees "that fool", to give him the Odd Potion. However, when Link returns to the forest to give Grog the medicine, Fado is there instead. She explains that due to the fabled curse of the woods, he is gone and has become a Stalfos.
In Majora's Mask, Grog is the owner of the Cucco Shack in Romani Ranch. He loves his Cucco chicks, but when he hears the rumor that the Moon will crash into Termina in three days, he is filled with sorrow as he understands he will not see his chicks develop into roosters.
Link can help Grog fulfill his wish by parading around the Shack with the Bremen Mask and getting the Cucco chicks to follow him. Once all 10 of them are following Link, they will immediately begin to transform into full-grown Cuccos. Link in turn receives the Bunny Hood from Grog as thanks for helping him out, saying he does not have any more regrets and is completely satisfied.
In common day usage, grog is slang for an alcoholic drink, originally composed of rum and water, known for being a popular beverage among pirates. It could also be a play off of "groggy", as Grog is commonly found sleeping in both games that he appears in.
|Names in Other Regions|
|EnglishUK||Grog (MM, MM3D)|
|German||Grog (MM, MM3D)|
- "Even my own son doesn't have a job, and he just wanders around all day!" — Master Craftsman (Ocarina of Time)
- "Its name is Cojiro, and it used to be my brother's Cucco. Its blue body is quite charming. It's so cute! Since my brother has gone, it's strange, but Cojiro has stopped crowing." — Cucco Lady (Ocarina of Time)
- "It seemed the cucco girl's brother had run off to the Lost Woods, never to be seen again. [...] Seeing his beloved Cojiro lifted the man's spirits, and he asked Link to deliver an Odd Mushroom to his grandmother back in Kakariko Village." (Ocarina of Time Player's Guide (Nintendo Power), pg. 114)
- "Link took the Odd Mushroom to the woman in the potion shop in Kakariko Village. She seemed less than pleased to hear news of her son, but she perhaps was just hiding her feelings behind a gruff exterior. In return for the Odd Mushroom, she gave Link an Odd Potion to take back to her son. Link didn't know if the concoction would help the ailing man, but he had to try." (Ocarina of Time Player's Guide (Nintendo Power), pg. 114)
- "People are disgusting. My own father and mother are disgusting. You must be disgusting, too!" — Grog (Ocarina of Time)
- "Cojiro? Why? Normally only a nice guy like me can tame you... Which means... You... You must be a nice guy! Must be! You must be!! Please Mr. Nice Guy! Please! Deliver this stuff to the old hag in the potion shop in Kakariko Village!" — Grog (Ocarina of Time)
- "That bum! He had to go into the forest... [...] If you see that fool, give this to him. It is the strongest medicine I have ever produced. However, this potion will not work on a monster... They say that there is no medicine that can cure a fool... I guess that's true..." — Old Lady in the Potion Shop (Ocarina of Time)
- "That guy isn't here anymore. Anybody who comes into the forest will be lost. Everybody will become a Stalfos. Everybody, Stalfos." — Fado (Ocarina of Time)
- "I heard it from my gramps. Says the moon's gonna fall... With somethin' that big, it's sure to take this ranch down with it... Hahhh...Oh, well. My only regret is that I won't get to see these guys in their prime as roosters." — Grog (Majora's Mask)
- "I don't really get it, but just seein' these guys with a crest and all... I don't have regrets about anythin' anymore. I'm perfectly satisfied. Here...You can have this from me..." — Grog (Majora's Mask)
- "They're all grown up now...How did you do that? Just seein' these guys with a crest and all... I don't have regrets about anythin' anymore. I'm pretty satisfied. Here...You can have this from me...Yeahhhh...These guys are all roosters. Heh, heh." — Grog (Majora's Mask 3D)