Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
The Green Clothes,(ALttP | LA) also known as the Green Tunic,(ALBW) are the default type of clothing worn by Link throughout the majority of each of his adventures. Because of this, it has become a symbol of the hero who saved Hyrule from evil. Unlike the other types of clothes, it does not grant the young hero any abilities. In some games, such as Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword, Link wears a chain mail underneath it to further protect himself.
Due to this garb transcending generations, the Green Clothes are known by different names, including Green Jerkin, Kokiri Tunic, Hero's Clothes, Recruit Uniform, Knight Uniform, and Hero's Tunic.
Types of Green Clothes
The Kokiri Tunic, the set of clothes that the Kokiri children wear, is the clothing worn by Link at the start of Ocarina of Time. It is a simple leaf-green tunic that enables no special abilities, unlike its Goron and Zora counterparts. However, its one strength is that Like Likes will not steal Link's tunic if he is wearing this. As such, if a Like Like manages to swallow Link with another tunic, it is best to quickly swap out a special tunic for this one until the attack finishes, or Link will have to kill the Like Like to get it back, or else have to buy another one.
Link receives this set of clothes very early on in his adventure in The Wind Waker. It was customary for the young boys of Outset Island to don a green tunic in honor of the Hero of Time upon reaching a certain age. They were especially made for Link by his Grandmother for his birthday and were designed and suited to look like the Hero of Time. As Link wears these, some characters will come to realize a feeling of nostalgia and mistake him for the Hero of Time, while others will think the outfit is old-fashioned.
In Twilight Princess, once Link returns the light to the Faron Province after collecting the Ordon Shield and Ordon Sword for Midna, he is given the Hero's Clothes by Faron. Faron notes that the Legendary Hero once wore these clothes, a treasure kept by the Spirits of Light, and that it was only fitting that Link don the clothes as well, as his successor. The Hero's Clothes also possess some visual differences from past incarnations; they are similar to what is worn in Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, but with some add-ons. Underneath the green is a chainmail shirt, and the garb also possesses two small pouches attached to the belt. The fabric of the tunic and hat has stitches and seams, unlike the seamless formation of all previous tunics, and the boots and undergarments of the tunic have things such as buckles, small holes, and other indications of wear-and-tear and hurried craftwork.
The Hero's Clothes appear in Breath of the Wild as amiibo exclusive Armor Sets. By scanning either the Super Smash Bros. series Toon Link amiibo or the Legend of Zelda 30th Anniversary series Toon Link amiibo, Link has a chance of obtaining the Wind Set from a Treasure Chest. Also by scanning the Super Smash Bros. series Link amiibo, Link has a chance of obtaining the Twilight Set from a Treasure Chest.
In Spirit Tracks, Link's green tunic is known as the Recruit Uniform, which is the same uniform that guards wear. Though it is called Recruit's Uniform upon obtaining, it is referred to as the Hero's Clothes on the Status Screen. It is given to Link by Princess Zelda so that he can disguise himself and be able to pass by the guards unnoticed as the two escape from Hyrule Castle. It serves as a replacement to the Engineer's Clothes, which Link can reobtain later in the game when he obtains 15 of the 20 stamps in Niko's Stamp Book. There is no functional difference between Link's outfits in this game, and switching between the two can be done at any time by talking to Niko.
A Uniform is given to those graduated from the Knight Academy and then worthy the title of a Knight. The design of the uniform is changed every year. Pipit, a knight graduated from the Academy previous year than Link wears a yellow uniform. One way to graduate from the Academy is to win the race in the Wing Ceremony, an annual event taking place at Skyloft. Link wins the race and a uniform is made for him.
Before Link can set out on his journey to find and rescue Zelda after she is kidnapped by Ghirahim, Gaepora is not quite satisfied with Link's clothing. He then mentions that the uniform Link was to receive for winning the race should have been finished by then, and the two return to the Knight Academy to bestow upon Link the tunic that the young hero wears throughout the game.
The Green Tunic is the default clothing worn by Link from the start of A Link Between Worlds. It is similar to the clothes that Gulley and both of his parents wear, and was in fact fashioned by Gulley's mother. This could imply that the set of clothes the blacksmiths wear in their trade is green in color and includes a long cap.
- Main article: Hero's Tunic
The Hero's Tunic is an Outfit available for purchase in Tri Force Heroes that looks identical to the Hero's Clothes from The Wind Waker. At the beginning of his adventure, Link meets Sir Combsly, commander of the Witch-Hunting Brigade of Hytopia, who supplies him with the Material needed to tailor the Hero's Tunic. Though it is optional up to a certain point in the adventure, the Hero's Tunic provides better protection than Link's default Outfit.
- Main article: Wild Set
The Green Clothes in Breath of the Wild appear as the Wild Set. It is comprised of the Tunic of the Wild, Trousers of the Wild and Cap of the Wild. This Set is a reward for completing all 120 Ancient Shrines. The Tunic retains the stitching from the original design of Link. These Green Clothes are unique in that they are not obtained near the beginning of Link's adventure.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Kokiri Tunic||Hero's Clothes||Recruit Uniform||Knight Uniform||Green Tunic|
|Japanese||いつもの服 (Itsumo no Fuku)||勇者の服 (Yūsha no Fuku)||見習い兵士の服 (Minarai Heishi no Fuku)||緑の服 (Midori no Fuku)|
|FrenchCA||Tunique Kokiri (OoT3D)||Habit d'apprenti soldat||Tunique verte|
|FrenchEU||Tunique Kokiri||Tenue du Héros||Habit d'apprenti soldat||Tenue des chevaliers||Tunique verte|
|German||Kokiri-Rüstung||Helden-Gewand||Rekrutenuniform||Gewand der Ritter||Grünes Gewand|
|Italian||Veste dei Kokiri||Tunica dell'Eroe||Uniforme da Recluta||Divisa della scuola d'armi||Tunica verde|
|SpanishEU||Túnica Kokiri||Ropas del héroe||Uniforme de aprendiz||Uniforme de los caballeros||Ropas verdes|
|SpanishLA||Sayo kokiri (OoT3D)||Uniforme de aprendiz||Sayo verde|
Link wearing the Tunic of the Wild from Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 126(ALttP | LA | ALBW)
- "Look at your awakened form... The green tunic that is your garb once belonged to the ancient hero chosen by the gods... His power is yours. His is the true power that slept within you. Your name is [Link]. You are the hero chosen by the gods." — Faron (Twilight Princess)
- "On a certain island, it became customary to garb boys in green when they came of age. Clothed in the green of fields, they aspired to find heroic blades and cast down evil. The elders wished only for the youths to know courage like the hero of legend..." — Introduction (The Wind Waker)
- "Kokiri Tunic
A humble but comfortable green garment. Everyone in the Kokiri Forest wears one." — N/A (Ocarina of Time 3D)
- "Time certainly flies... I can't believe you're already old enough to wear these clothes. Don't look so disappointed, dear one! Just try them on. Today is a day to celebrate! It is the day that you become the same age as the young hero spoken of in all the legends. You only have to wear them for one day, so don't look so down. Be proud, child!" — Grandma (The Wind Waker)
- "I must apologize. I was in error. I saw your clothing, and suddenly I felt a longing for an age gone by... That longing caused the ancient tongue to pass my lips." — Great Deku Tree (The Wind Waker)
- "Wow. What's with that get-up?" — Tetra (The Wind Waker)
- "Look at your awakened form... The green tunic that is your garb once belonged to the ancient hero chosen by the gods... His power is yours. His is the true power that slept within you." — Faron (Twilight Princess)
- "You got a recruit uniform! Wearing this, you can pose as a soldier and move freely about the castle!" — N/A (Spirit Tracks)
- "All right, please put this on right away. It's a recruit uniform. The guards are starting their patrols, so getting past them won't be easy. But if you wear this, they'll think you're one of them!" — Princess Zelda (Spirit Tracks)
- "That green uniform is what our knights will be wearing this year. To be honest, I've had my doubts about the color. But oddly enough, seeing you wearing this uniform, I can't imagine a more fitting color for you. It's as though you were born to wear it." — Gaepora (Skyward Sword)
- "The Wing Ceremony's about to begin, right? Remember when Pipit won the last one right at the last second? It was soooo close. Now, that was a race..." — Karane (Skyward Sword)
- "As you well know, today's champion will graduate to the next class, bringing him one step closer to knighthood. He will also receive a gift from the young woman chosen to play the role of the goddess in this year's ritual. Today is a special day for many reasons, but it is also the 25th anniversary of our fine institution. To celebrate the occasion, today's champion shall also receive his gift high atop the Statue of the Goddess. I hear the young woman performing the role of the goddess this year has crafted the gift herself. And as you all well know, the role of the goddess this year will be performed by..." — Owlan (Skyward Sword)
- "You have a great journey before you, Link, and those clothes... They don't look up to the task." — Gaepora (Skyward Sword)
- "The uniform you were to receive for winning the race should be ready by now. A sturdy uniform like that will prove much more suitable for a long journey. You'd better change before you go." — Gaepora (Skyward Sword)
- "Clothing made by the blacksmith's wife. It's a perfect fit for you!" — Description (A Link Between Worlds)
- "Consider yourself enlisted. As a token of welcome, I will supply you with one firm handshake and one Hero's Tunic.
Here are the necessary materials. Take them to Madame Couture at once, and she'll make you the outfit!" — Sir Combsly (Tri Force Heroes)
- "What are you thinking, boy? You can't see the king without your Hero's Tunic!
I won't allow you to keep His Royal High-Tops waiting. Now hurry over to Madame's shop and make that outfit!" — Sir Combsly (Tri Force Heroes)
- "A tunic with no special abilities. May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce!" — Description (Tri Force Heroes)
- "Lose a Heart Container and take double damage. But if a true hero wears it..." — Description (Bear Minimum) (Tri Force Heroes)