The Calamity Ganon Tapestry depicting the first Great Calamity
|Game(s)||Breath of the Wild|
First Great Calamity
The first Great Calamity refers to the first battle between Calamity Ganon, 10,000 years before the events of Breath of the Wild. Anticipated by the then-highly advanced Hylian civilization, the conflict opposed Calamity Ganon to an unnamed knight designated by "the sword that seals the darkness" and a Princess doted with an unspecified "sacred power" (illustrated by a Triforce symbol on the Calamity Ganon Tapestry displayed at Impa's home in Kakariko Village), helped by the mechanical creations of the Sheikah tribe: the Guardians and the four Divine Beasts. The Hylian side was victorious and Calamity Ganon was succesfully sealed. It was then prophesied that Calamity Ganon shall break free of the seal, prompting King Rhoam Bosphoramus Hyrule to conduct archeological surveys and unearth the forgotten Sheikah machines, 9,900 years after the first Great Calamity.
Second Great Calamity
The second Great Calamity was a period of mass destruction in Hyrule caused by the return of Calamity Ganon after being imprisoned for 9,900 years. This event led to many deaths and almost every structure across Hyrule crumbling into ruins. Hyrule Castle itself fell under Ganon and King Rhoam's life was ended. With Hyrule Castle having fallen and the army of Hyrule with no leader, they fell back to the fortress that protected Akkala, which also fell and was later known as the Akkala Citadel Ruins. The Great Calamity caused a great split within the Sheikah tribe, as a separate tribe known as the Yiga Clan grew and fought in allegiance to Calamity Ganon. Due to the Great Calamity, Hyrule experiences an increase in monsters. It also caused Stalkoblins, Stalmoblins, and Stalizalfos to appear at night.
Calamity Ganon achieved much of the destruction by possessing the same Guardians and Divine Beasts that were used to defeat it 10,000 years before. Calamity Ganon successfully had the lives of the Champions Daruk, Urbosa, Revali, and Mipha cut short. Out of the Champions, only Link survived the Great Calamity, but was placed to slumber for 100 years within the Shrine of Resurrection after being injured while defending Princess Zelda. To prevent the destruction of the entirety of Hyrule and all its people, Zelda spends the 100 years after the Great Calamity inside Hyrule Castle with Calamity Ganon, keeping the demon in place within the castle. This sets the tone for the events of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, which take place 100 years after this event.
|Names in Other Regions|
|FrenchCA||Grand Fléau||Great Scourge|
|This table was generated using translation pages.|
To request an addition, please a staff member with a reference.
- "We also learned of a princess with a sacred power and her appointed knight, chosen by the sword that seals the darkness. It was they who sealed Ganon away using the power of these ancient relics." — King Rhoam (Breath of the Wild)
- "But there was also...a prophecy. "The signs of a resurrection of Calamity Ganon are clear. And the power to oppose it lies dormant beneath the ground." We decided to heed the prophecy and began excavating large areas of land. Is wasn't long before we discovered several ancient relics made by the hands of our distant ancestors." — King Rhoam (Breath of the Wild)
- "The Great Calamity was merciless... It devastated everything in its path, lo, a century ago." — King Rhoam (Breath of the Wild)
- "It's hard to even talk about the Great Calamity. It was a disastrous event that took place 100 years ago. Villages everywhere were burned. Many lives were lost..." — Reede (Breath of the Wild)
- "It was then that my life was taken away from me. And since that time, here I have remained, in spirit form." — King Rhoam (Breath of the Wild)
- "That's the Akkala Citadel Ruins. Long ago, at the peak of Hyrule's power, they built a fortress to protect Akkala. It was said to be unassailable, but during the Great Calamity, Hyrule Castle fell... The army had no royalty to lead them. With no other choice, they fell back to this citadel to make their last stand." — Nell (Breath of the Wild)
- "We Sheikah have long served the royal family of Hyrule in secret. During the Great Calamity of 100 years ago... the royal family was destroyed, and the members of our tribe scattered. Sadly, there were some who swore allegiance to Ganon at that time. They joined together as the Yiga Clan, seeking out all who opposed Ganon... cutting them down, one after another." — Paya (Breath of the Wild)
- "Not sure if it's Calamity Ganon's fault or what, but I hear monsters have been attacking people more than ever lately." — Daruk (Breath of the Wild)
- "Everything looks just as it always has, but the effects of the Great Calamity still linger. For example, a lot of monsters come out at night, so be careful when the sun sets..." — Rensa (Breath of the Wild)
- "Ganon was cunning, and responded with a plan beyond our imagining. He appeared from deep below Hyrule Castle, seized control of the Guardians and the Divine Beasts, and turned them against us." — King Rhoam (Breath of the Wild)
- Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity pour Nintendo Switch - Détails du jeu Nintendo, www.nintendo.com, retrieved September 8, 2020.