Anju's Grandmother in Majora's Mask 3D
Old Hag in the Potion Shop
|Era||Era of the Hero of Time|
|Family||Ocarina of Time:|
Carpenters' Boss (son / husband)
Cucco Lady (granddaughter / daughter)
Young Punk Guy (grandson / son)
Gampy (deceased husband)
Tortus (deceased son)
Anju's Mother (daughter in law)
Ocarina of Time
In Ocarina of Time, Granny owns the Potion Shop that is located in the back of Kakariko Village. Although it is never directly stated, Granny is either the mother or wife of the Carpenters' Boss. This would make her either the grandmother or mother of the Cucco Lady and the Young Punk Guy.
When Link is a child, Granny's Potion Shop is only accessible by flying into its yard with a Cucco. The shop, however, is closed and a message is on the door letting passers-by know that Granny is out in the field collecting herbs for her Potions. Seven years in the future, Link is able to gain access to her shop (either using the Hookshot from the windmill, or the back door of the Medicine Shop).
After Link delivers Cojiro to the Young Punk Guy in the Lost Woods, he asks the young hero to deliver an Odd Mushroom to Granny. Upon showing the Odd Mushroom to Granny, she calls him a "bum" for going into the forest, and asks Link that if he sees "that fool", to give him the Odd Potion. However, she says the Potion will not work on a monster, possibly hinting at her grandson's fate as a Stalfos.
In Majora's Mask, Anju's Grandmother is Granny's Terminan counterpart. Anju's Grandmother lives in the lower bedroom of the Stock Pot Inn in Clock Town. While confined to her wheelchair, she serves as a storyteller. Unfortunately, her stories are unbearably long and the listener will often fall asleep in the middle of them. Granny will ask questions related to the story read. These can be answered correctly by wearing the All-Night Mask, allowing Link to stay awake and to answer her questions. If he answers the questions correctly, he will receive a Piece of Heart for each story told. She will not read any stories on the Final Day.
Anju's Grandmother also appears to be losing her memory, as she often refers to her granddaughter Anju and Link by the name of Tortus, her deceased son and Anju's father. Her diary seems to indicate, however, that she feigns senility to get out of eating Anju's poorly cooked meals. She writes about a plan to get by without eating, and can be seen enacting that plan when Anju brings her lunch on the first day.
The first story that Anju's Grandmother reads, about the Carnival of Time, is the shorter of the two and takes two hours to tell. At the end, Anju's Grandmother will ask when the Clock Tower opens. Link must answer "On the eve of the carnival" to receive a Piece of Heart.
The second story, about the Four Giants, will take all of the time between when the story begins and the next morning. Thus, if the story begins at 6 AM, it will not end until 6 AM the next day. After listening to the story with the All-Night Mask, Anju's Grandmother will ask what the people do to call the Four Giants. Link must answer "I dunno" to receive another Piece of Heart.
- An image of a tiger can be seen on the backside of the wheelchair of Anju's Grandmother, possibly a reference to the pet tiger cub belonging to her Ocarina of Time counterpart.
- Speaking to Anju's Grandmother with Kafei's Mask implies that she was a schoolteacher when Mayor Dotour was in school.
|Names in Other Regions|
|FrenchEU||Grand-mère d'Anju||Same as English.|
Anjus Großmutter (MM)
Same as English.
|Italian||Nonna di anju|
|SpanishEU||Abuela de Anju||Anju's Grandmother|
- "Deliver this to the old hag in the potion shop in Kakariko Village!" — Grog (Ocarina of Time 3D)
- "Granny" (Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 239(OoT) & 245(MM))
- "Potion Shop" — N/A (Ocarina of Time 3D)
- "Take it to the Kakariko Potion Shop." — N/A (Ocarina of Time 3D)
- "Hey, that saw! It's mine! But... I thought I left that saw with my old lady... Oh well..." — Carpenters' Boss (Ocarina of Time)
- "It seemed the cucco girl's brother had run off to the Lost Woods, never to be seen again. [...] Seeing his beloved Cojiro lifted the man's spirits, and he asked Link to deliver an Odd Mushroom to his grandmother back in Kakariko Village." (Ocarina of Time Player's Guide (Nintendo Power), pg. 114)
- "Link took the Odd Mushroom to the woman in the potion shop in Kakariko Village. She seemed less than pleased to hear news of her son, but she perhaps was just hiding her feelings behind a gruff exterior. In return for the Odd Mushroom, she gave Link an Odd Potion to take back to her son. Link didn't know if the concoction would help the ailing man, but he had to try." (Ocarina of Time Player's Guide (Nintendo Power), pg. 114)
- "Granny's Potion Shop
Gone for Field Study
Please come again!
—Granny" — Sign by the Potion Shop (Ocarina of Time)
- "Cojiro? Why? Normally only a nice guy like me can tame you... Which means... You... You must be a nice guy! Must be! You must be!! Please Mr. Nice Guy! Please! Deliver this stuff to the old hag in the potion shop in Kakariko Village!" — Young Punk Guy (Ocarina of Time)
- "That bum! He had to go into the forest... [...] If you see that fool, give this to him. It is the strongest medicine I have ever produced. However, this potion will not work on a monster... They say that there is no medicine that can cure a fool... I guess that's true..." — Granny (Ocarina of Time)
- "Hello there, son. I'm researching the process of making medicine by mixing Lake Hylia's water with various unusual compounds. Perhaps you've met that old lady from the potion shop...she is like a student of mine... Ho ho ho!" — Lake Scientist (Ocarina of Time)
- "Grandmother...I am Anju! Tortus was my dad..." — Anju (Majora's Mask)
- "It was my granddaughter who cooked again today. Putting that to the lips shortens the life! I thought of a way to get by without eating. I'll try it tomorrow. I just hope I'm not caught." — Granny's Diary (Majora's Mask)
- "'Oh, Tortus. I've already had lunch.' 'Grandmother...I am Anju! Tortus was my dad... And you haven't had lunch yet!' I've already had lunch. Now be quick and take that away.' 'Not eating is bad for you. Please eat...' 'Didn't I say that I already ate lunch, Tortus?!? Impossible child!' 'Then don't eat my food. I give up...' 'Whew!' '"Whew?"' 'Er... W-W-Whewwwould you like me to read you a story?'" — Anju and her Grandmother (Majora's Mask)
- "Oh, Dotour... If they pick on you, you come tell teacher, OK?" — Anju's Grandmother (Majora's Mask)