The whistle as seen in the book
Teleports Link back in time
Ocarina of Time
The Golden Whistle is an item featured in the book The Shadow Prince. It is first introduced after Impa advises Link to travel to the Water Town of Saria and retrieve the Mirror of Truth. To help him on his travels, she hands him the Golden Whistle, although she doesn't explain its use.
During his journey to Saria Town, if Link decides to go through the Midoro Swamp instead of taking the detour through Ruto Town, he will promptly get surrounded by a pack of Moblins. If Link has the Golden Whistle with him, he can use it to create a high-pitched, piercing sound that weakens the Moblin. However, after blowing on it one last time, the whistle shatters in his hands, but allows him to safely escape the Moblin ambush. If, however, the young hero does not possess the Golden Whistle, he will die at the hands of the Moblins.
By choosing not to go to Saria Town and thus not obtaining the Mirror of Truth, the young hero will eventually end up in a jail cell inside the Tower as punishment for claiming Charles is evil without having proof of his claims. If Link did not use the whistle in Midoro Swamp and uses it in the prison cell, a black vortex will close in on him and make him travel back in time to when the king dubbed Charles a king of the Triforce, giving him another chance to decide to go to Saria Town and obtain the Mirror of Truth.
- "She pulls a golden whistle on a chain out of her apron pocket and hands it to Link. 'Here. This may help in a tight spot.'" (The Shadow Prince (Mammoth), pg. 89)
- "Cloud skids to a halt, just as Link sees the flash of red moblin eyes in the forest. In second, he is surrounded by a pack of the hideous beasts. Their wet tongues hang out of their mouths." (The Shadow Prince (Mammoth), pg. 54)
- "Blinke-link! The force of the blast shatters the golden whistle like glass. Link gazes at the shards in his hands. 'Woops! I think it's time for a fast exit now,' he says. He urges Cloud to a gallop and they race out of the swamp, leaving the howling moblin behind." (The Shadow Prince (Mammoth), pg. 41)
- "'Well, well,' the big one says, lapping his tongue hungrily over his lips. 'Look who dropped in for dinner.'" (The Shadow Prince (Mammoth), pg. 15)
- "'Just as I suspected!' the king bellows. 'Link, I've heard enough. Your petty envy has become more than a nuisance. [...] I hereby banish you to the Tower for three days, effective immediately!'" (The Shadow Prince (Mammoth), pg. 62)
- "The sound is piercing. Link's ears start to ring, and he has the dizzy feeling that the room is spinning around him. Dimly he notices that the whistle has burst to pieces in his hands. Then a black vortext closes in on him. When Link comes to, he's standing in the Triforce room with the king, Charles and Zelda.[...] '...I hereby dub you a knight of the Triforce,' the king tells Charles, beaming. 'Oh, deja vu,' groans Link. 'I could swear this has happened before.'" (The Shadow Prince (Mammoth), pg. 109)