Executing Skyward Strikes
|Comparable Item(s)||Master Sword|
The Goddess Sword is a recurring item in The Legend of Zelda series. It is a legendary blade that was crafted by the Goddess, Hylia, to aid her Chosen Hero. To this end, it is inhabited by a spirit known as Fi. In order to defeat the Demons which threaten The Surface, it is eventually tempered into the Master Sword by Link. The Goddess Sword undergoes several stages to reach this ability: first by transforming into the Goddess Longsword with Farore's Flame, the Goddess White Sword by Nayru's Flame, the Master Sword with Din's Flame and ultimately, the True Master Sword with Hylia's blessing.
Location and Uses
The Goddess Hylia created the Goddess Sword and Fi, an intelligent humanoid spirit who resides in the Sword, and gave it the purpose of assisting Hylia's chosen hero. She then enshrined the Sword inside the Statue of the Goddess before raising it into The Sky as part of Skyloft.
Preceding the Wing Ceremony, Fi appears to Link in his dreams, foretelling him of his destiny. After Link and Zelda are attacked by a black tornado, Fi appears again to Link in his sleep, calling for him to realize his destiny. After he awakens, Fi appears in the Knight Academy outside of Link's room to guide him Inside the Statue of the Goddess. Inside, Fi explains his fate as the Chosen Hero and encourages him to draw the Goddess Sword from its pedestal so that Fi can formally acknowledge him as her Master.
After Link receives the Goddess's Harp from Zelda, the young hero must temper the Goddess Sword using the three Sacred Flames in order for it to hold the necessary power to open the Gate of Time at the Sealed Grounds. Each time Link bathes the Goddess Sword in one of the Sacred Flames, the Sword is both empowered and physically altered. First, Farore's Flame converts it to the Goddess Longsword, which has doubled attacking power and greater reach. Then, Nayru's Flame converts it to the Goddess White Sword, which adds the ability to dowse for Rupees, Treasures, Gratitude Crystals and Goddess Cubes. Finally, Din's Flame converts it to the Master Sword, with four times the attacking power of original Goddess Sword, an even greater reach, and the Power to Repel Evil. However, this Master Sword is not fully capable of defeating Demise, and requires its true power to be unlocked by Hylia's blessing.
The final change to the Goddess Sword takes place in the distant past, before Zelda enters into a deep sleep to keep the seal placed upon Demise intact. Her blessing converts it to the True Master Sword, extending the cross-guard outward as well as restoring the gem and the Triforce symbol upon it. With this final transformation, the True Master Sword is capable of defeating Demise. Additionally, the time it takes to charge a Skyward Strike is reduced. In Hero Mode, the Skyward Strike is already at its maximum power and charging speed from the previous playthrough, so upon acquiring the True Master Sword its charge time is upgraded again to become nearly instantaneous.
The Goddess Sword houses a spirit, Fi, who guides Link in many ways, such as giving him helpful advice or actually pointing him in the direction he needs to go. When Fi has something to say, the Sword begins to glow, and Link can speak to Fi at any time by pressing down on the D-Pad. Moreover, the Sword has a treasure-seeking ability called Dowsing. With this ability, it can sense important people, items and objects to help Link locate them, acting as a sort of compass. Link can choose in the Dowsing menu which specific object or person he wishes to track down. While Dowsing, the Goddess Sword periodically beeps as it searches for the target, beeping with greater frequency the closer Link is to the target.
If Link holds the Goddess Sword up to the sky, it will be charged up by "energy from the heavens" and be able to release a Skyward Strike once it's swung. This beam can activate the various objects that the Goddess specifically left for the hero, such as Goddess Cubes, Goddess Walls and Goddess Crests.
Breath of the Wild
The Goddess Sword is a Weapon that may be obtained at random within a Treasure Chest that appears after tapping "The Legend of Zelda" series Skyward Sword Link amiibo with the amiibo Rune. It has 28 attack power and a durability of 45. The Goddess Sword houses the fire of the Goddess Hylia. It is said that a "heavenly breeze" kicks up around the wielder.
- When Link first obtains the True Master Sword, it is stated that he is the only one capable of wielding it. Despite this, Ghirahim is able to disarm Link and wield it himself the Thunder Dragon's Lightning Round.
- At the end of Skyward Sword, because of the time travel involved, the Goddess Sword and Master Sword exist simultaneously inside the Statue of the Goddess and the Temple of Hylia, respectively.
- Despite being called the Goddess Longsword, it is in fact, an arming sword.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||女神の剣 (Megami no Tsurugi)||Same as English.|
|FrenchEU||Épée divine||Divine sword|
|Italian||Spada della Dea||Same as English.|
Icon of the Master Sword from Skyward Sword
- "You got the Goddess Sword! This mysterious sword is bathed in divine light." — N/A (Skyward Sword)
- "I was created for a single purpose, long before the recorded memory of your people. I must aid you in fulfilling the great destiny that is your burden to carry." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "Valiant hero, you have endured many hardships and journeyed far in your quest to reach this place. Along your travels you have found wisdom, power, and courage, and for this I shall bless your sword with the goddess's power. May it give you and your sword the strength to drive back the abomination that threatens this land!" — Zelda (Skyward Sword)
- "The flames of Farore have improved your sword, making it longer and sharp enough to do twice as much damage!" — N/A (Skyward Sword)
- "The flames of Nayru have transformed your blade, expanding Fi's powers. She can now help you use your dowsing ability to search for more objects!" — N/A (Skyward Sword)
- "The flames of Din have imbued your blade with a sacred white light that demons revile." — N/A (Skyward Sword)
- "Link, the goddess created Fi and the great blade she's a part of for very specific reasons." — Zelda (Skyward Sword)
- "First, she created Fi. She made the spirit that resides in your sword to serve a single purpose: to assist her chosen hero on his mission." — Zelda (Skyward Sword)
- "Link...? I am waiting for you. The time has come for you to awaken. You are vital to a mission of great importance. Link..." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "I was created for a single purpose, long before the recorded memory of your people. I must aid you in fulfilling the great destiny that is your burden to carry. Come, Link. You must take up this sword. As the one chosen by my creator, it is your destiny." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "The youth who draws forth the guiding sword shall be known as the goddess's chosen hero, and it is he who possesses an unbreakable spirit. He shall be burdened with the task of abolishing the shadow of apocalypse from the land. Such is his destiny. With the spirit of the blade at his side, he shall soar over the clouds and plummet below... ...And united with the spirit maiden, shall bring forth a piercing light that resurrects the land." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "In the name of my creator, draw the sword and raise it skyward. Recognition complete, Master..." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "Ah, sorry to disappoint you, boy, but for now your sword lacks the power necessary to awaken the gate. Faron Woods...Eldin Volcano...and Lanayru Desert... A sacred flame is hidden somewhere in each of these lands. Seek them out, and purify your sword in their heat. Only after your blade has been tempered by these three fires will it be fully imbued with the great power for which you search." — Impa (Skyward Sword)
- "The goddess has blessed your blade, and the Master Sword has at last achieved its ultimate form! The sword is now imbued with the mythical power to drive back demons, and only Link may wield it!" — N/A (Skyward Sword)
- "Taking this into account, I calculate an 85% probability that your quest will be aided if you find the lost Kikwis for the elder. To expedite your search for these forest-dwelling creatures, I have added Kikwis as a dowsing option." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "Master Link, I suggest you imbue that crest with the power of your Skyward Strike and then insert the tablet I gave you a moment ago. To gather energy from the heavens and charge up a Skyward Strike, point your sword skyward." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "If I remember right... Yup, this is one of the things the goddess was said to have left behind for the hero of legend. Pretty amazing, right? I even thought up a name for these things. I have been calling them Goddess Cubes! Makes sense, right?" — Gorko (Skyward Sword)
- "When you struck the crest with a Skyward Strike from your sword, a message from the goddess awakened deep within my memory. The goddess intended this message for you, Master. These are her words." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "Its blade houses the fire of the Goddess." — Hyrule Compendium (Breath of the Wild)
- "When wielded, a strange yet heavenly breeze kicks up around you." — Hyrule Compendium (Breath of the Wild)
- "This sword, blessed by the goddess herself, can only be wielded by the hero of legend." — Description (Skyward Sword)