|Other media||Hyrule Warriors|
|Comparable Item(s)||Biggoron's Sword|
Location and Uses
In order to obtain the Giant's Knife in Ocarina of Time, Link must open Medigoron's shop with his Bombs as a child. When spoken to as a child, Medigoron tells the young hero that he is working on "something really cool," but that it will take five to six years to complete. When Link returns as an adult, the Giant's Knife will be finished, and it may be purchased for 200 Rupees.
The Giant's Knife greatly resembles the Biggoron's Sword, however the blade will entirely break off after 8 hits or if Link strikes a wall, turning it into the "Broken Giant's Knife." The Broken Sword can still be used but will only have 1/4 the power of the fixed version. While wielding the Broken Sword, the Spin Attack cannot be used.
The Giant's Knife can only be used by Link as an adult and must be held with two hands, thereby precluding the use of a Shield.
- Strangely, if Link were to avoid ever obtaining a Giant's Knife and then were to instead skip to getting the Biggoron's Sword, Medigoron will still talk to Link as if he has a working, non-broken Giant's Knife even though it is in fact a Biggoron's Sword.
- Ocarina of Time contains unused text for the Giant's Knife, meant to be displayed when it is exchanged for the Biggoron's Sword, provided that Link possesses the Giant's Knife. The final version makes no mention of the replacement, and instead the Giant's Knife is simply discarded. This text is used in Ocarina of Time 3D, however.
- The Giant's Knife, alongside with the Deku Stick, are the first items in the series that will break or wear down after regular use. It is succeeded by the Razor Sword and the items Link can obtain in Breath of the Wild.
The Giant's Knife Badge from Hyrule Warriors
- "I'm working on something really cool right now! But I think it's going to take a while... If you can wait five or six years, it should be ready. OK?" — Medigoron (Ocarina of Time)
- "I just completed a small weapon. How about it..." — Medigoron (Ocarina of Time)
- "How about buying this knife for 200 Rupees?" — Medigoron (Ocarina of Time)
- "It looks like there is a problem with its durability... But still..." — Medigoron (Ocarina of Time)
- "A sword created by the finest Goron smithy who ever lived. It slices deep but requires immense strength to wield." — N/A (Hyrule Warriors)
- "Press the Strong Attack button to quickly dash into enemies!" — N/A (Hyrule Warriors)
- "You traded the Giant's Knife for the Biggoron's Sword! This blade was forged by a master smith and won't break!" — Unused Text (Ocarina of Time)