- This article refers to the location in Twilight Princess and Breath of the Wild. For the desert containing Gerudos in Ocarina of Time, see Haunted Wasteland and Desert Colossus.
The Gerudo Desert from Breath of the Wild
- 1 Features and Overview
- 1.1 Twilight Princess
- 1.2 Breath of the Wild
- 1.2.1 Gerudo Desert Gateway
- 1.2.2 East Barrens
- 1.2.3 Kara Kara Bazaar
- 1.2.4 Gerudo Town
- 1.2.5 Sand-Seal Rally
- 1.2.6 Karusa Valley
- 1.2.7 East Gerudo Ruins
- 1.2.8 Palu Wasteland
- 1.2.9 Great Cliffs
- 1.2.10 Northern Icehouse
- 1.2.11 Southern Oasis
- 1.2.12 Arbiter's Grounds
- 1.2.13 Dragon's Exile
- 1.2.14 West Barrens
- 1.2.15 West Gerudo Ruins
- 1.2.16 Toruma Dunes
- 1.2.17 Gerudo Great Skeleton
- 1.2.18 Lookout Post
- 1.2.19 Ancient Shrines
- 2 Other Appearances
- 3 Trivia
- 4 Nomenclature
- 5 Gallery
- 6 References
Features and Overview
The Gerudo Desert is found in the Desert Province in Twilight Princess, located in the southwest corner of Hyrule. Although called Gerudo Desert, the Gerudo themselves do not appear in Twilight Princess. The Gerudo Desert is completely cut off from the rest of Hyrule after being abandoned years ago. At first, Link can only reach it by being shot out of Fyer's cannon and can only leave by Warping out. According to Auru, the Desert once held a prison to hold Hyrule's worst criminals. The Gerudo Desert covers a vast territory, but most of its surface is a barren wasteland with no signs of life other than enemies like Moldorms, Shadow Beasts, Bulblins and Leevers.
The Gerudo Desert holds the Arbiter's Grounds Dungeon, the aforementioned prison. On top of it lies the Mirror Chamber, a large circular temple where the Sages reside. It houses the Mirror of Twilight, which is the only way to access the Twilight Realm. The Mirror of Twilight can create a portal inside a gigantic rock that leads to the Palace of Twilight. The mirror was shattered into four pieces by Zant, but the three missing pieces are recovered by Link and Midna. After the defeat of Ganondorf, Midna departs to the Twilight Palace and shatters the mirror completely. The Gerudo Mesa can also be found in the Gerudo Desert. It holds the Cave of Ordeals, an optional 50-floor dungeon.
Breath of the Wild
In Breath of the Wild, the Gerudo Desert is a vast desert wasteland located in the southwest section of Hyrule in the Gerudo Region. The Desert is plagued by sandstorms that disrupt Link's Sheikah Slate Map, rendering it unusable. Four Moldugas can be found throughout the Desert. Stalizalfos appear all over the Desert during the night.
Gerudo Desert Gateway
- Main article: Gerudo Desert Gateway
The Gerudo Desert Gateway is a large, stone gate which marks the main entrance to Gerudo Desert.
- Main article: East Barrens
The East Barrens make up the entire southeast section of the Gerudo Desert. The Misae Suma Shrine resides within it. This area is where the Divine Beast Vah Naboris can be found before it is calmed by Link.
Kara Kara Bazaar
- Main article: Kara Kara Bazaar
Kara Kara Bazaar is a small oasis in Gerudo Desert, found in the middle of the path to Gerudo Town. It contains a Memory, two Quests, several characters, an Inn and three General Stores.
- Main article: Gerudo Town
Gerudo Town is the main town of Gerudo Desert and the Gerudo people. Only women are allowed to enter the town. The Daqo Chisay Shrine resides right outside. Gerudo Town is a crucial area to progress in the "Divine Beast Vah Naboris" Main Quest. Gerudo Town contains several Quests, a Korok, a Goddess Statue and an Inn called Hotel Oasis that offers a spa treatment. It also has many Shops, including five General Stores, The Noble Canteen, Starlight Memories, Fashion Passion and the Gerudo Secret Club.
- Main article: Sand-Seal Rally
The Sand-Seal Rally is a Sand Seal racing spot south of Gerudo Town. The Gerudo Shabonne and Tali can be found here. By completing "The Undefeated Champ" Shrine Quest, Link can reveal the Raqa Zunzo Shrine that resides here.
- Main article: Karusa Valley
Karusa Valley is a long valley that leads to the Yiga Clan Hideout in Gerudo Highlands. Link must pass through here to reach the Yiga Clan Hideout during the "Divine Beast Vah Naboris" Main Quest.
East Gerudo Ruins
- Main article: East Gerudo Ruins
The East Gerudo Ruins are the ruins of a temple near the entrance to the Gerudo Desert. The temple is a circle of giant statues of the seven heroines who once protected the region of Gerudo. Link must solve a puzzle here in the Shrine Quest, "The Seven Heroines", given by Rotana.
- Main article: Palu Wasteland
Palu Wasteland is a large, barren section in the eastern part of the Gerudo Desert.
- Main article: Great Cliffs
The Great Cliffs are large cliffs in the northern section of the Gerudo Desert, north of Kara Kara Bazaar. Here Link can complete the Shrine Quest, "The Eye of the Sandstorm", by finding the Dako Tah Shrine. There is usually a large sandstorm plaguing the area, but it clears up for a few hours during the night.
- Main article: Northern Icehouse
The Northern Icehouse is an underground Icehouse north of Gerudo Town that is managed by the Gerudo Anche. It is used to store the ice brought down from the nearby mountains. Link must retrieve ice from the Icehouse in the Shrine Quest, "The Perfect Drink".
- Main article: Southern Oasis
The Southern Oasis is a mesa-like oasis south of Gerudo Town. It houses a Treasure Chest containing 10 Bomb Arrows. A Molduga can be found nearby in the Gerudo Desert sands.
- Main article: Arbiter's Grounds
Arbiter's Grounds is a sparse group of ruins in the southern Gerudo Desert. A Molduga can be found here.
- Main article: Dragon's Exile
Dragon's Exile is located in the southwest section of Gerudo Desert. A Molduga can be found in North Dragon's Exile.
- Main article: West Barrens
The West Barrens make up the entire northwest section of the Gerudo Desert. In the Shrine Quest, "The Silent Swordswomen", Link must follow a series of the swordswomen statues through the sandstorm in the West Barrens. This will point Link to the hidden Kema Zoos Shrine. The West Barrens contains the West Gerudo Ruins.
West Gerudo Ruins
- Main article: West Gerudo Ruins
The West Gerudo Ruins are ruins in the west side of the Gerudo Desert. They are located within the West Barrens and house one of the silent swordswomen statues that Link must follow in the Shrine Quest, "The Silent Swordswomen".
- Main article: Toruma Dunes
The Toruma Dunes are a flat, nearly empty area of the Gerudo Desert. The Tho Kayu Shrine resides hidden within it. Toruma Dunes also contains a Molduga.
Gerudo Great Skeleton
- Main article: Gerudo Great Skeleton
The Gerudo Great Skeleton is the Skeleton of one of the three Great Skeletons in Hyrule. Link must take a picture of these remains for the "Leviathan Bones" Side Quest. These bones contain the Hawa Koth Shrine and the Great Fairy Fountain belonging to the great earth fairy Tera.
- Main article: Lookout Post
The Lookout Post is a small post south of Gerudo Town where the Gerudo soldier Sudrey monitors the Divine Beast Vah Naboris. Naboris is always near the Post, walking around and kicking up a massive sandstorm.
|Dako Tah Shrine||Electric Path||Great Cliffs||Moonlight Scimitar|
|Daqo Chisay Shrine||The Whole Picture||Gerudo Town||Thunderblade|
|Hawa Koth Shrine||The Current Solution||Gerudo Great Skeleton||Ancient Core|
|Keive Tala Shrine[EX 2]||Big or Small||East Barrens||Radiant Shield|
|Kema Zoos Shrine||A Delayed Puzzle||West Barrens||Moonlight Scimitar|
|Korsh O'hu Shrine||Korsh O'hu's Blessing||East Gerudo Ruins||Flamespear|
|Misae Suma Shrine||Misae Suma's Blessing||East Barrens||Diamond|
|Raqa Zunzo Shrine||Raqa Zunzo's Blessing||Sand-Seal Rally||Radiant Shield|
|Takama Shiri Shrine[EX 2]||Dual Purpose||West Barrens||Royal Bow|
|Tho Kayu Shrine||Tho Kayu's Blessing||Toruma Dunes||Golden Bow|
- In Twilight Princess, the Hylian Typography on the map of Hyrule lists the Gerudo Desert under the name "Great Desert".
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||ゲルド砂漠 (Gerudo Sabaku)||Gerudo Desert|
|FrenchEU||Désert Gerudo||Gerudo Desert|
Deserto Geld (TP)
|SpanishEU||Desierto Gerudo||Gerudo Desert|
|SpanishLA||Desierto de Gerudo|
- "Actually, there's one more of us...but there's been a disturbing turn of events in the western desert, so he's gone to check it out." — Telma (Twilight Princess HD)
- The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess — The Official Nintendo Player's Guide (Nintendo Co., Ltd.) pg. 178
- "The Gerudo Desert once held a prison built to hold the worst criminals this land has ever known... The criminals who were sentenced to death were sent directly to the underworld by a cursed mirror that was kept in the prison...Now that prison is condemned, and even the road leading to the Desert is impassable." — Auru (Twilight Princess)
- "There's a temple east of here near the entrance to the Gerudo Desert." — Rotana (Breath of the Wild)
- "It's dedicated to the seven giant statues of the heroines, said to be the divine protectors of the Gerudo." — Rotana (Breath of the Wild)
- "This is an icehouse used for storing the ice brought down from the mountains." — Anche (Breath of the Wild)
|Hyrule in Twilight Princess|
|Click on a location|