General of Darkness
Onox, also known as General Onox, is one of two main antagonists in Oracle of Seasons. He calls himself the "General of Darkness", and wishes to ruin the land of Holodrum in accordance with the wishes of his master, Twinrova. To do this, Onox is tasked with the burden of capturing the Oracle of Seasons and submerging the Temple of Seasons. Although Onox appears to be a giant in armor reminiscent of an Iron Knuckle, his true form is that of a dragon, summoned from the Dark Realm.
By capturing Din, the Oracle of Seasons, and encasing her in a crystal, Onox is able to submerge the Temple of Seasons into Subrosia and throw the flow of the seasons into chaos, resulting in the damage of the land and the weakening of the Maku Tree. To counter these events, Link sets out on a quest to obtain the Essences of Nature, which allow him to enter Onox's Castle on the Northern Peak to face him and revert his deeds.
After obtaining every Essence of Nature, Link goes the Northern Peak, where he uses their power to bust into Onox's Castle, breaking the protective barrier he had placed upon its entrance to bar intruders. Link faces Onox in two segments, the first in his natural form, using the comatose Din within a crystal to shield himself from Link's attacks. Before Link can defeat Onox, however, he reveals his second, true form to him. After defeating Onox, rather than cursing his own fate, he mocks Link as he dies, revealing that the Flame of Destruction has been lit, and Twinrova's grand scheme is one step closer to fruition.
If Link has already saved Nayru from Veran in Oracle of Ages, when Link reaches Onox at the top of the Onox's Castle, he will reveal to Link that Princess Zelda is already being prepared for sacrifice, so that Ganon can return.
Onox deals out massive physical damage with his attacks. His armor also blocks normal attacks with the Sword, so Link must use Spin Attacks to get through. Onox is capable of bringing down a barrage of rocks from the ceiling, and summoning multiple tornadoes. Partway into the battle, Onox will summon Din still trapped in a crystal as his shield. The Rod of Seasons must be used to knock Din away, or Link will be electrocuted whenever he attacks Onox. Despite this, Din, will always drift back to Onox eventually. After Onox is defeated again, he will transform into his dragon form. From here, Link must jump onto Onox's hands, then attack the gem on his head.
- Like Veran's shoulder dress, Onox's brazen armor is also emblazoned with the Crest of the Gerudo, reflecting his allegiance with Twinrova.
- Onox's reaction upon first meeting Link in the beginning of the game will vary depending on whether the player started a new game or a linked save. In the former, he merely tells Link to move aside before breezing past him. In the latter, he'll recognize Link as being the one who took down Veran, while boasting that he's stronger than her.
- In concept artwork, Onox is depicted with a two handed battleaxe, similar to those used by Iron Knuckles in Ocarina of Time, with a flail attached.
- In the initial Nintendo Power coverage for Oracle of Seasons, Onox was referred to by his Japanese name of Gorgon.
Onox's name may be a phonic reference to the gem onyx, a hard mineral known for its black variety. His Japanese name, Golgon or, more likely, Gorgon, refers to a same name race of creatures from the Greek myths, a notable member being Medusa who also inspired the boss of Sword & Shield Maze.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||ゴルゴン (Gorugon)||Golgon, Gorgon|
|German||Onox, General der Finsternis||Onox, General of Darkness|
|Italian||Onox, Generale delle Tenebre||Onox, General of Darkness|
|SpanishLA||Onox, General de las Tinieblas||Onox, General of Darkness|
- "Hya, ha ha ha! You hid yourself well, Din, Oracle of Seasons! But you cannot escape Onox, General of Darkness!" — Onox (Oracle of Seasons)
- "Gwah hah hah! I was summoned from the Dark Realm by Twinrova! See my true form! Feel the might of a dark dragon!" — Onox (Oracle of Seasons)
- "I sense evil on the Northern Peak, where the Temple of Seasons rested! Onox has cast a shadow on the Northern Peak. I think you will find him there. You'll need the eight Essences of Nature that lie sleeping in Holodrum. Gathering all eight is the only option. The essences possess the sacred power of nature, with which you can break the shadow barrier and save Din." — Maku Tree (Oracle of Seasons)
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 196
- Art & Artifacts (Dark Horse Books), pg. 215
- "As you know, if I imprison the Oracle of Seasons and bury the temple that houses the Season Spirits, the seasons of Holodrum will be cast into chaos, the bountiful gifts of nature will rot, and all living this will perish!!! That is the world of darkness that I long for!" — Onox (Oracle of Seasons)
- "Down, Temple of Seasons!!! Spring, summer, fall, winter... Fall into chaos!" — Onox (Oracle of Seasons)
- "What's to be done, Link? With the seasons in chaos, the land is robbed of the very essence of nature, draining all of might!" — Maku Tree (Oracle of Seasons)
- "Gurrrgh...no... It's too late. My orders were to capture Din and deliver the destructive power of a seasonless land to Twinrova. Now, as the Flame of Destruction, that power is set to devour this land! Gah, hah, hah..." — Onox (Oracle of Seasons)
- "It's too late, Link. Zelda--our sacrifice--is in our grasp Soon no one will be able to stop the return of Ganon . Even you shall be destroyed--by Onox!" — Onox (Oracle of Seasons)