In life, the Garo were enemies of the Ikana Kingdom. Their nation sent several spies to investigate Ikana Canyon to gather intelligence, and even after they have died, they continue to haunt Ikana, ready to report to their superior. Their primary target in the Ikana region was the Ancient Castle of Ikana. Although they appear to be humans with cloaks, Pamela's Father claims Garo are empty shells, animated by willpower.
It can be inferred that they had an elaborate code of honor. Any spies captured or defeated on enemy ground were required by law to commit ritual suicide and die without leaving a corpse. The leader of the Garo is the Garo Master, who Link battles in the Stone Tower Temple. Unlike his underlings, the Garo Master uses a Bomb to literally explode at his defeat. The Garo's Mask, which Link acquires in a race against the Gorman Brothers, originally belonged to him.
The Garo use long, sharp Swords in battle that can be easily blocked with the Shield. Blocking their attacks will render them weaponless, as their hard Sword strikes will ricochet off of the Shield and out of the their grasp. During Link's visit to Ikana Canyon, he can summon a single Garo at a time by wearing the Garo's Mask and wandering into an area where "a thirst for blood" looms. When the Garo realizes it has mistaken Link for its master, it summons a ring of fire and attacks. If defeated, Garo will "surrender their wisdom" and subsequently dissolve in green fire.
|Names in Other Regions|
ガロ・ローブ (Garo Rōbu)
- The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D — Prima Official Game Guide (Prima Games) pg. 311
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 179
- "They are merely shells that are empty on the inside. They're the shells of spies from an enemy nation sent to investigate Ikana. They have been unable to forget their living days. Even now their spirits--emptiness cloaked in darkness--continue to spy." — Pamela's Father (Majora's Mask)
- "That is the mask of the leader of the ninjas who once spied on the hilltop castle with the blood-stained history. With that, you may be able to call out their spirits that even now are still wandering." — Poe Collector (Majora's Mask)
- "R-regrettable... Although my rival, you were spectacular. I shall take my bow by opening my heart and revealing my wisdom... Belief or disbelief rests with you. To die without leaving a corpse... That is the way of us Garo." — Garo (Majora's Mask)
- "Die I shall, leaving no corpse. That is the law of us Garo." — Garo Master (Majora's Mask)
- "Master! You called! ...!!! What are you???" — Garo (Majora's Mask)
- "I can't see it, but I sense there's a thirst for blood looming all around us... Don't you have a mask that can summon the unseen?" — Tatl (Majora's Mask)