The Fused Shadow in its complete form
|Other media||Hyrule Warriors|
The Fused Shadows are quest items featured in Twilight Princess. They hold the magical power used by the Dark Interlopers in the Interloper War, who sought entry to the Sacred Realm to claim the Triforce.
Locations and Quest Purpose
The enormous power of the Interlopers was sealed away within the Fused Shadow by three of the four Light Spirits, under the order of the Goddesses. Anything that comes in contact with dark power radiating from the Fused Shadow is transformed, as were the bosses of the first three dungeons. This is especially apparent in the Goron Mines, where the Patriarch of the Gorons was transformed into Fyrus by the dark power of the Fused Shadows. Midna entreats Link to recover the Fused Shadows in return for her help. There are three Fused Shadows that are to be collected during the game and are held by the dungeon bosses Diababa, Fyrus, Morpheel, and later Zant, of the Forest Temple, Goron Mines, Lakebed Temple, and Palace of Twilight, respectively. However, there are four in all - Midna's helm is the fourth Fused Shadow.
Powers and Abilities
The true power of the Fused Shadow is immense; using just a fraction of its power, Midna obliterated Zant, and when Midna dons the complete Fused Shadow, it transforms her into an enormously powerful spider-like creature, capable of piercing the otherwise impenetrable barriers created by Ganondorf. However, the power of the Fused Shadows is less than that of the power of the Goddesses, as seen when Midna challenges Ganondorf, and is soundly defeated. Ganondorf emerges from the encounter seemingly unscathed, grasping the fragment of the Fused Shadow that Midna wore as a helmet.
However, this may also be because the Fused shadow's power may have withered over time. This can be assumed based on the damaged and cracked condition of the actual relic, and Zant's reference to it as "ancient and withered." Also, though Ganondorf is unharmed physically, he is no longer in the form he was when he fought Midna; possibly because she weakened him.
Ganondorf crushes the fragment, presumably destroying the power of the Fused Shadow itself. It is unknown what ultimately became of the crushed fragment of the Fused Shadows. In the end credits, its pieces are seen lying half-buried in Hyrule Field.
- The back of Midna's helmet portion of the Fused Shadow contains an Eye Symbol.
- In an interview in Art & Artifacts, Yusuke Nakano said that the Fused Shadow piece on Midna's head was inspired by bronze pottery from the Shang Dynasty.
- The Fused Shadow appears in Breath of the Wild as a part of Midna's Helmet, which is a piece of Armor exclusive to the first DLC Pack.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||影の結晶石 (Kage no Kesshō Ishi)||Crystal Stone of Shadow|
|FrenchEU||Cristal d'ombre||Shadow Crystal|
|Italian||Cristallo oscuro||Dark Crystal|
|SpanishEU||Sombra Fundida||Fused Shadow|
- "Among those living in the light, interlopers who excelled at magic appeared. Wielding powerful sorcery, they tried to establish dominion over the Sacred Realm." — Lanayru (Twilight Princess)
- "It was then that the goddesses ordered us three light spirits to intervene. We sealed away the great magic those individuals had mastered." — Lanayru (Twilight Princess)
- "The dark power you seek lies in the sacred grounds of the proud mountain dwellers. But already those grounds have been defiled, draped in shadow and seeded with evil. You must go to those sacred grounds and cleanse them." — Eldin (Twilight Princess)
- "A dark power rests in the temple deep within these woods. It is a forbidden power. Long, long ago, I and the other spirits of light locked it away. Because of its nature, it is a power that should never be touched by any who dwell in the light." — Faron (Twilight Princess)
- "But the moment Darbus reached out and touched the treasure...everything went wrong. He collapsed...and before our very eyes transformed into an unspeakable monster!" — Gor Coron (Twilight Princess)
- "In exchange for my help, though, I need you to gather some things for me" — Midna (Twilight Princess)
- "[...] I wanted to search through some image resources not typically used in games. So I searched in various places and eventually ended up looking at bronze artifacts from the Shang dynasty. I felt like I could feel life within them, and their shape and form were really interesting." (Art and Artifacts (Dark Horse Books), pg. 420)