See here for the complete list
Outset Island is a location in The Wind Waker. It is located at the southern end of the Great Sea. It is home to only a few families, including that of Link, which consists of his sister Aryll and their beloved Grandma. On this island, it is customary to garb boys in green when they reach the age of the fabled "legendary hero."
Features and Overview
Outset Island consists of two main islands connected by a wooden bridge. Of the four houses on Outset Island, three of them are situated on the western island. The eastern island has a winding pathway to the summit, where there is a suspension bridge that connects the two areas. Across the bridge is the Forest of Fairies, where Link rescues Tetra after she is dropped there by the Helmaroc King at the beginning of the game. Later, the water spirit Jabun makes his home in the cave at the back of the island after his original residence, Greatfish Isle, is destroyed by Ganondorf. However, the cave is blocked by a large stone that can only be removed by bombs via cannon. Upon destroying the large stone, Link can go in and talk to Jabun to receive Nayru's Pearl from him.
Also hidden on the island is the entrance to the Savage Labyrinth. This area can only be reached by gliding with the Deku Leaf to a small ledge near the entrance to the Forest of Fairies. With the use of the Power Bracelets, Link can lift the large stone head covering the entrance to the labyrinth. It is the location of Triforce Chart #7 and a Piece of Heart.
- Aryll's Lookout
- Mesa's house
- Wooden bridge connecting beaches
- Rope bridge connecting clifftops
- Abe, Joel, Zill, and Rose's house
- Sturgeon and Orca's house
- Aryll, Grandma and Link's house
- The Pier
- Beedle's Shop Ship
Aryll's Lookout, also called the Watchtower, is a tall, stationary crow's nest that was most likely built to spot oncoming ships. Because of Outset's distant location from many other inhabited islands, however, it is mainly used by Link's little sister to play with the gulls. She often uses her telescope from the Lookout to watch over the island.
The Fairy Woods, also called the Forest of Fairies, are situated at the top of Outset Island. According to legend, an ancient hero would come to these woods to heal after battle. Link first visits the Fairy Woods after Helmaroc King drops Tetra into the forest. After obtaining Bombs, the young hero can find a pink-colored Great Fairy called the Fortune Goddess, in the Fairy Woods who gives him a Wallet upgrade.
A cave can be found at the rear of the island's left side, which becomes occupied by Jabun after the destruction of Greatfish Isle and is sealed by a large stone slab and guarded by a strong whirlpool, both of which Link must overcome to meet with the Sea Spirit and obtain Nayru's Pearl from him. The cave appears empty for the remainder of the game, should Link choose to visit it later, due to Jabun only residing beneath the water's surface.
- "Outset" is a word meaning "start," or "beginning," and Outset Island is the first location explored in the game.
- A bird's eye view of Outset resembles a silhouette of Makar holding his violin.
- Outset is the only island whose music track changes throughout the game - in the beginning, it is a constant loop of Aryll's theme. After she is kidnapped from the island by the Helmaroc King, the song changes to indicate her absence, instead consisting of a rendition of the Kokiri Forest theme from Ocarina of Time.
- In the PAL version of Spirit Tracks, Aboda Village is named Outset Village, possibly implying that Link from The Wind Waker and Phantom Hourglass founded the village, his home being Outset Island. This is unlikely to be true because the original name of Outset Island was Puroro Island in the Japanese version of The Wind Waker and the original name of Aboda Village is Moyori Village.
Minor Enemies and Traps
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||プロロ島 (Puroro Tō)||Prologue Island|
|FrenchEU||Ile de l'Aurore||Isle of the Dawn|
|Italian||Isola Primula||Primrose Island|
|Korean||프롤로 섬||Puroro Island|
|SpanishEU||Isla Initia||Starting Island|
- "Outset Island
Located in the southwest and boasting beautiful beaches, Outset Island is a sparsely populated paradise where Link lives with his grandmother and his younger sister, Aryll. Inland, a forest grows above the island's high cliffs where a Great Fairy is said to reside, while a watchtower on the beach looks out over the sea for any trouble that may sail in." (Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 111 (TWW))
- "Time certainly flies... I can't believe you're already old enough to wear these clothes. Don't look so disappointed, dear one! Just try them on. Today is a day to celebrate! It is the day that you become the same age as the young hero spoken of in all the legends. You only have to wear them for one day, so don't look so down. Be proud, child!" — Grandma (The Wind Waker)
- "Hee hee hee! This is my FAVORITE spot to gaze out at the sea. When I play with the gulls, I call it "Aryll's Lookout."" — Aryll (The Wind Waker)
- " Watchtower
Forest of Fairies " — Sign (The Wind Waker HD)
- "In fact, I saw something really odd just a little while ago. Of course, this was back before the bridge was destroyed... It was up in the Fairy Woods, near the old dried-up fountain. I saw this tall girl who glowed like a fairy, which was odd enough, but then she vanished into that rock... Really! I saw it with my own eyes!" — Mesa (The Wind Waker)
- "This spot marks the remains of an ancient fairy fountain. The legendary hero was said to come here after battle so the fairies could ease his weariness." — Sign (The Wind Waker)
- "It was also said that whoever met with the Great Fairy who lived here was blessed with great fortune, so it came to be known as the Fountain of the Fortune Goddess." — Sign (The Wind Waker)
|Islands in The Wind Waker|
Click on an island