Flat the Younger (OoT)
Ocarina of Time
In Ocarina of Time, Flat is one of the deceased Composer Brothers who, during their life, served the Royal Family of Hyrule. He and his brother were known to be great composers because of the many musical masterpieces they wrote. However, they were also on a mission to analyze the hereditary mysterious powers of the Royal Family of Hyrule. Although they could never quite understand the true power behind the Triforce, they completed a study about controlling the flow of time via the use of Ocarinas. Ganondorf then tried to steal the results of their research and threatened to kill them if they did not reveal them. The Composer Brothers, unwilling to let the King of the Gerudo reap the fruits of their research, gave up their lives in order to protect the secret they had spent years researching.
After their death, Flat and his brother kept serving the Royal Family as Poes by guarding the Graveyard. Their tombstones are located right next to the huge headstone that guards the entrance to the Royal Family's Tomb. Link can speak to the deceased brothers by checking their gravestones, which results in them attacking him. After being defeated and realising that he is not one of Ganondorf's men, they will reveal that they were each studying a song, one to summon the sun and the other to summon the moon. Their combined studies resulted in the creation of the "Sun's Song," which is the secret song they guarded and that eventually led to their deaths. Once Link enters the tomb, he can find the "Sun's Song" inscribed at the end, along with a poem written by the Composer Brothers to accompany the melody.
In Majora's Mask, Flat is locked up beneath the Ikana Graveyard by his own brother, Sharp. After defeating the Iron Knuckle guarding him, Flat's soul is freed. In return, he teaches Link the "Song of Storms," a song he had composed to cure Sharp of his curse. Flat also reveals that he and his brother were once servants and composers of the Ikana Royal Family. He requests that Link helps cleanse his brother's black soul, allowing the two of them to finally have their eternal rest.
Flat is a musical symbol which denotes a lower pitch. His German name is a reference to the composer Ludwig van Beethoven.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||フラット (Furatto) (OoT)||Same as English.|
(In the French version of both Ocarina of Time and Encyclopedia, the names of Flat and Sharp are swapped with each other.)
Corruption of Bémol (Flat).
|This table was generated using translation pages.|
To request an addition, please a staff member with a reference.
- "Royal Composer Bros.
Flat the Younger
R.I.P." — Tombstone (Ocarina of Time 3D)
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 239 (OoT) & 245 (MM)
- "We brothers also served the Royal Family, and were assigned to study the hereditary mystic powers of the family." — Composer Brothers (Ocarina of Time)
- "Back then, people called us great composers because of the many musical masterpieces we wrote. But we brothers were not just composers. We had a mission to analyze the mysterious powers of Hyrule's Royal Family." — Composer Brothers (Ocarina of Time)
- "Though we never could figure out the power of the Triforce, we had almost completed our study of controlling time with the tones of ocarinas. Uh, I mean... Actually, we did complete that study! We would have been famous, if that hateful Ganondorf had not tried to steal our results. We could never let him reap the fruits of our research! That's why we gave our lives to protect the secret." — Composer Brothers (Ocarina of Time)
- "Oh, what? You're not one of Ganondorf's men, are you?" — Composer Brothers (Ocarina of Time)
- "To tell the truth, each of us was studying a different song, one to summon the sun and another to summon the moon. If you were really sent by a member of the Royal Family, I will tell you about the results of our study. We inscribed it on the royal tombstone." — Composer Brothers (Ocarina of Time)
- "The rising sun will eventually set, A newborn's life will fade. From sun to moon, moon to sun... Give peaceful rest to the living dead." — N/A (Ocarina of Time)
- "Oh...Sharp, my dear brother. He sold his soul to the devil and was the one who locked me in here..." — Flat (Majora's Mask)
- "Here is written the song that shall cleanse his cursed, black soul." — Flat (Majora's Mask)
- "Are you the one who freed my soul? I served the Ikana Royal family. I am the composer called Flat. The songs connected to the Royal Family that remain here were all composed by my brother and I." — Flat (Majora's Mask)
- "You who do not fear the dead, learn well the song that is inscribed behind me... And if you ever meet my brother, I'd like you to inform him... The thousand years of raindrops summoned by my song are my tears. The thunder that strikes the earth is my anger! ...I have made my request." — Flat (Majora's Mask)
- Nintendo Official Guidebook—The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Shogakukan) pg. 145
- Encyclopedia (Les Éditions Soleil) pg. 239