Fishing Rod artwork from Twilight Princess HD
The Fishing Rod is a recurring item in The Legend of Zelda series. Link can usually only rent one inside Fishing Holes, although he can obtain one as an item in Twilight Princess and Phantom Hourglass.
Location and Uses
Ocarina of Time
In Ocarina of Time, Link can rent a Fishing Rod as a child and adult in the Fishing Pond located in Lake Hylia. For 20 Rupees, he can use it for as long as he wants. However, it can only be used inside the pond, as Link must return it before leaving.
The default Lure of the Fishing Rod can only float. However, Link can find the Sinking Lure around the pond, making the lure sink to the bottom of it. Although, the use of a Sinking Lure is against the rules. Besides fishing, adult Link can use the Rod to steal the Fisherman's hat.
In Twilight Princess, two types of Fishing Rod appears: the Bobber Fishing Rod and the Lure Fishing Rod. The Bobber Fishing Rod is obtained from Uli after saving her cradle from a Monkey. Link can use it to fish almost anywhere a body of water is located. Any fish caught with the Bobber Fishing Rod are kept in the Fish Journal. Link can also add Bait, such as worms and bee larvae, to attract fishes more easily. The Rod is first needed to catch a fish for Sera's cat so Link can get the Slingshot. Afterwards, Link must use the Rod again to catch a Reekfish in Zora's Domain in order to follow Yeto's trail. However, to catch a Reekfish, Link must first obtain the Coral Earring from Prince Ralis. The earring serves as an upgrade to the Rod, as it also increases the fish bitting rate. Link can also use the Bobber Fishing Rod to catch an empty Bottle and the Sinking Lure in Hena's Fishing Hole.
The Lure Fishing Rod can be rented in Hena's Fishing Hole for 20 or 100 Rupees. The Lure Fishing Rod is controlled differently from the Bobber Fishing Rod and can only be used while riding a canoe inside the pond. It also allows Link to use a wider variety of lures. Besides fishing, Link can also use the Rod to catch a Piece of Heart in the middle of the Fishing Hole.
In Phantom Hourglass, the Fishing Rod can be obtained from the Old Wayfarer on Bannan Island by introducing Joanne to him. Link can only use the Rod while sailing the World of the Ocean King on board the S.S. Linebeck. When the ship is above a fish shadow, Link can cast the Rod and try to catch the fish by tapping the touch screen.
Majora's Mask 3D
In Majora's Mask 3D, Link can rent a Fishing Rod in either of the Fishing Ponds located next to the Swamp Shooting Gallery or in the Great Bay. Link can rent the rod for 50 Rupees or for free if he has a Fishing Hole Pass. This time, he can freely use the Sinking Lure whenever he wants.
- In Twilight Princess, it is possible to distract Ganondorf using the Fishing Rod during the final battle. Ganondorf will watch the hook of the rod, leaving him open to attacks.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||釣り竿 (Fishing Rod)||Fishing Rod|
|FrenchEU||Canne à pêche||Fishing Rod|
|Italian||Canna de pesca||Fishing Rod|
- "Well, do you want to go fishing for 20 Rupees? [...] I'm so generous, I'll let you fish for as long as you want." — Fisherman (Ocarina of Time)
- "Hey! Hey! You can't take the rod out of here! When you quit fishing, return the rod to the counter. I'm serious!" — Pond Owner (Ocarina of Time)
- "Rules and Regulations / 1. Don't use sinking lures. / 2. Don't litter. / 3. Walk quietly. / 4. Don't cast at anyone." — Sign (Ocarina of Time)
- "That sinking lure is in violation of the rules!" — Fisherman (Ocarina of Time)
- "There is something I would like to give to you, so can you carry that cradle and come with me? [...] All right... Here you go! It is a little...unpolished. My son, Colin, made this under the instruction of his father. You can use it if you like." — Uli (Twilight Princess)
- "It must be a reekfish. That is a rare specimen found only in the Zora village. It feeds on a valuable type of coral, and without that bait, even our best fishers cannot catch one. Look closely, Link... My earring is made of this coral. I would like to give it to you." — Prince Ralis (Twilight Princess)
- "Haha! I finally met the mermaid of my dreams! Never would I have dreamed the mermaid would come to ME! You had a hand in this, young man, and so I want to give you this! I had that fishing rod made so that I could hook the mythical mermaid, but… I obviously don't need it anymore…so you can have it!" — Old Wayfarer (Phantom Hourglass)
- "When you want to go fishing, direct your boat over a fish shadow on the sea chart. Select the Fish button from the Menu tab . [sic] The ship stops and you automatically cast your lure into the water. When the fish bites, you must quickly drag the stylus down the screen to hook your catch." (Phantom Hourglass Official Game Guide (Prima Games), pg. 13)
- "Why's he just sitting there fishing?" (Oracle of Ages (Himekawa) (VIZ Media), pg. 65)
- "I got a bite!" (Oracle of Ages (Himekawa) (VIZ Media), pg. 66)
- "Come with me." (Oracle of Ages (Himekawa) (VIZ Media), pg. 68)