The Fire Rod from Breath of the Wild
Location and Uses
A Link to the Past
In A Link to the Past, Link obtains the Fire Rod in the Skull Woods. It can be used as a weapon to burn enemies or light unreachable Torches. The Fire Rod drains magic from the Magic Meter when used. It is especially effective against Gibdos, whose bandages can be burned away to reveal Stalfos.
Four Swords Adventures
In Four Swords Adventures, the Fire Rod can only be found in certain areas. It can be used to defeat enemies and burn grass to reveal hidden items such as Power Gems. This Fire Rod can either shoot fireballs or a continuous cascade of flames. If Link gives the Fire Rod to a Great Fairy to upgrade it, the Fire Rod will act like the Cane of Somaria, creating blocks that can be used as platforms. If Link uses the Fire Rod again, the block will explode, sending fire in four directions.
Dark Link also uses the Fire Rod in some levels.
A Link Between Worlds
In A Link Between Worlds, the Fire Rod can be rented from Ravio for 100 Rupees. Later on, it can be purchased for 1200 Rupees. It drains the Energy Gauge when used. The Fire Rod shoots a pillar of fire that moves in a straight line, which is capable of damaging even airborne enemies. Because it travels forward and most enemies flinch backward, the fire pillar is often capable of hitting the same enemy more than once. The Fire Rod can also be used to melt ice, including ice-based enemies, which can be defeated with one hit of the Rod.
By finding 10 Maiamais, Link can give the Fire Rod to Mother Maiamai in order to upgrade it to the Nice Fire Rod. This upgraded version produces a much taller and wider pillar of flames, travels a larger distance, and deals more damage.
Breath of the Wild
Hyrule Compendium Entry
In Breath of the Wild, Fire Rods are expendable weapons. When swung, they fire out large fireballs that bounce around wildly, setting fire to anything the balls touch. In areas with strong gusts of wind, these fireballs can be redirected by the wind's current.[verification needed] By charging an attack, Link can launch a circular barrage of fireballs. As Fire Rods are fragile, they will be heavily damaged if they directly hit a solid object. The Meteor Rod is a stronger Fire Rod that fires three fireballs in one swing.
- The Fire Rod was meant to appear in The Minish Cap sometime during development, but was later scrapped. The item can still be found in the game's code.
- In Tri Force Heroes, one of the Communication Icons features an item that resembles the Fire Rod. The icon for the "Clear without any items!" challenges also resemble the outline of the Fire Rod.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||ファイアロッド (Faia Roddo) (ALttP)||Same as English.|
|FrenchCA|| Baguette de feu (ALBW)
Baguette de feu louée
Baguette de feu de luxe
| Fire Wand|
Rented Fire Wand
Deluxe Fire Wand
|FrenchEU|| Baguette de Feu
Great baguette de feu
| Fire Wand|
Great Fire Wand
|German||Feuerstab||Same as English.|
|Italian||Bacchetta del Fuoco||Fire Baton|
|SpanishEU||Cetro de fuego||Fire scepter|
|SpanishLA|| Cetro de Fuego (ALBW)
Cetro de Fuego alquilado
Cetro de Fuego mejorado
| Fire Sceptre|
Rented Fire Sceptre
Improved Fire Scepter
- "FIRE ROD" (Art & Artifacts (Dark Horse Books), pg. 393 (ALttP&FS))
- "Shoot fireballs or light braziers. Hold down the A Button to shoot a continuous cascade of flames." (Four Swords Adventures manual, pg. 31)
- "The level 2 Fire Rod can create blocks. If you wave the rod one more time, the block will explode, sending flame in four directions." (Four Swords Adventures manual, pg. 31)
- Zelda Minish Cap: HACKED - The Leveleditor