Location and Uses
A Link to the Past
In A Link to the Past, Link obtains the Fire Rod in the Skull Woods. It can be used as a weapon to burn enemies or light unreachable Torches. The Fire Rod drains magic from the Magic Meter when used. It is especially effective against Gibdos, whose bandages can be burned away to reveal Stalfos.
Four Swords Adventures
In Four Swords Adventures, the Fire Rod can only be found in certain areas. It can be used to defeat enemies and burn grass to reveal hidden items such as Power Gems. This Fire Rod can either shoot fireballs or a continuous cascade of flames. If Link gives the Fire Rod to a Great Fairy to upgrade it, the Fire Rod will act like the Cane of Somaria, creating blocks that can be used as platforms. If Link uses the Fire Rod again, the block will explode, sending fire in four directions.
Dark Link also uses the Fire Rod in some levels.
A Link Between Worlds
In A Link Between Worlds, the Fire Rod can be rented from Ravio for 100 Rupees. Later on, it can be purchased for 1200 Rupees. It drains the Energy Gauge when used. The Fire Rod shoots a pillar of fire that moves in a straight line, which is capable of damaging even airborne enemies. Because it travels forward and most enemies flinch backward, the fire pillar is often capable of hitting the same enemy more than once. The Fire Rod can also be used to melt ice, including ice-based enemies, which can be defeated with one hit of the Rod.
By finding 10 Maiamais, Link can give the Fire Rod to Mother Maiamai in order to upgrade it to the Nice Fire Rod. This upgraded version produces a much taller and wider pillar of flames, travels a larger distance, and deals more damage.
Breath of the Wild
Hyrule Compendium Entry
Fire Rods are one-handed Weapons in Breath of the Wild. They are weaker counterparts to Meteor Rods. Fire Rods are not made of flammable materials and can safely be used around open flames or Scorching Climates. Fire Rods are also not made of magnetic materials and cannot be manipulated with Magnesis. Fire Rods do not conduct electricity, and will float in sufficiently deep bodies of water. Fire Rods are imbued with Fire elemental energy, generating a ball of Fire that bounce around when swung. However, Fire Rods are fragile and will break easily if they make direct contact with objects or enemies. Fire Rods will also break simply from extended use. If Link executes a Spin Attack while wielding a Fire Rod, he will loose five blasts at once in different directions. They also provide minor resistance to Freezing Climates. When thrown with the R button, Fire Rods will not leave Link's hand and instead produce a ball of fire that will bounce in the direction they are thrown. Fire Rods will temporarily lose their magical properties if used excessively, requiring a brief cooldown period before they can be used again.
Ancient Stone Tablets
Cadence of Hyrule
- The Fire Rod was meant to appear in The Minish Cap sometime during development, but was later scrapped. The item can still be found in the game's code.
- In Tri Force Heroes, one of the Communication Icons features an item that resembles the Fire Rod.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||ファイアロッド (Faia Roddo) (ALttP)||Fire Rod|
|Italian||Bacchetta del fuoco (BotW)||Fire wand|
|This table was generated using translation pages.|
To request an addition, please a staff member with a reference.
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 123 (ALttP | FSA | ALBW)
- "Fire Rod" — Hyrule Compendium (Breath of the Wild)
- "Fire Rod -- Assign it to
This will launch a ball of fire dealing 1 damage in the direction you're facing, at the cost of stamina." — Inventory (Cadence of Hyrule)
- "Shoot fireballs or light braziers. Hold down the A Button to shoot a continuous cascade of flames." (Four Swords Adventures manual, pg. 31)
- "The level 2 Fire Rod can create blocks. If you wave the rod one more time, the block will explode, sending flame in four directions." (Four Swords Adventures manual, pg. 31)
- Zelda Minish Cap: HACKED - The Leveleditor
- Nintendo Official Guidebook—The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past & Four Swords (Shogakukan) pg. 14