|Gender||Genderless [note 1]|
|Voice Actor(s)||Ayumi Fujimura|
The goddess Hylia created the Goddess Sword and Fi, an intelligent humanoid spirit who resides in the Sword, and gave them the purpose of assisting Hylia's Chosen Hero in fulfilling his destiny of defeating Demise. She then enshrined the Sword inside the Statue of the Goddess before raising it into The Sky as part of Skyloft. Preceding the Wing Ceremony, Fi appears to Link in his dreams, foretelling him of his destiny. After Link and Zelda are attacked by a black tornado, Link wakes up in his room, where he hears Fi speaking to him. Fi guides him to the Statue of the Goddess, further explaining his fate as the chosen hero and encouraging him to draw the Goddess Sword from its pedestal so that Fi can formally acknowledge him as her Master. Fi gives Link the Emerald Tablet and tells him that he must go beneath the Cloud Barrier in order to find Zelda and fulfill his destiny, with the Tablet activating a Column of Light illuminating the path through the Cloud Barrier.
Once Link seals away Demise within the Master Sword, Fi requests that Link end their relationship by returning the Master Sword, as her purpose in aiding the chosen hero in his mission is complete. Link thrusts the Sword into its pedestal in the Temple of Hylia, but Fi calls him back to give a true goodbye, showing emotions for the first time and claiming that their time together was the most precious, for she has experienced happiness before falling into an endless sleep. She then thanks Link and hopes that they may meet again in another life as her consciousness fades away into the Master Sword.
Breath of the Wild
Although Fi does not appear in person in Breath of the Wild, she is referred to several times and speaks to Zelda on one occasion.
When Zelda questions Link's skill with the Master Sword, she refers to Fi indirectly, saying that legends tell of a voice within the sword and asking if Link can hear it. After Link is nearly killed fighting off the Guardians controlled by Calamity Ganon, Fi speaks from within the Master Sword - signaled by the Master Sword glowing and her sound effect playing - and tells Zelda to take Link to the Shrine of Resurrection.
In the end, Zelda mentions that she can no longer hear the voice inside the Master Sword, assuming it is because her power has dwindled over the past 100 years, yet she accepts that.
After completing the Trial of the Sword, while Link is observing the new power unlocked within the Master Sword, Fi's sound effect plays and the Sword glows once more.
Like her fellow Sword Spirit, Ghirahim, Fi possesses psychic abilities, specifically telepathy. Throughout Link's journey, she aids the hero by providing him with information about the area he is in, the enemies he is facing, and even messages directly from Hylia to Link. Fi can be talked to when Link is traveling on foot by pressing down on the D-Pad of the Wii Remote. When this is done, Fi will give Link various options to choose from, providing the play time of the current session, the current objective, and advice as to what he should do next, which include a summary of the past few events as well as hints and rumors. In addition, Fi will give Link a basic description of a targeted enemy and its weaknesses. Fi will also tell the hero how many times he has defeated any type of enemy and gives an indication of Link's proficiency in fighting a specific type of enemy. When this is used on Bosses, Fi will usually give a limited supply of information about the enemy's weaknesses. If Link is defeated in the battle, and Fi is once again asked to give advice, more information will be available. Other than enemies and bosses, Fi can also scan people, Bugs and locations. Fi can telepathically talk to people and robots and sense people's auras.
Fi also has a treasure-seeking ability called Dowsing. It can sense important people and items and help Link to locate them, acting as a sort of compass. When Link needs to locate a certain person or item, Fi will add a Dowsing option accordingly. He can then choose in the Dowsing menu which specific object or person he wishes to track down. In Dowsing mode, pointing the Sword in the general of the target will cause it to beep, which becomes faster as Link approaches the target.
Fi also informs Link when his Hearts have nearly depleted, and will eventually add them as Dowsing targets. If Link's Shield is about to break, she will warn him of this and caution him to take care of its remaining durability. If the Wii Remote's batteries are nearly depleted, Fi will call attention to them.
Fi follows in the tradition of past Link companions by translating messages for Link; in her case, these messages are from the gods of old. Whenever Link hits certain Goddess Crests with a Skyward Strike, a message intended for Hylia's Chosen Hero will awaken deep within Fi's memory. Fi will translate the message for Link while dancing and skating around the room until fully delivering the statement. She will also dance along as Link learns the three songs inside the Isle of Songs. Similarly, playing the Goddess's Harp at points needed to advance in the game will cause Fi to sing along the melody.
After helping Gondo fix Scrapper, Fi is able to persuade the Ancient Robot to assist Link by carrying various items from the surface up to The Sky. Should Link need the assistance of Scrapper, Fi will call Scrapper using telepathic transmission and ask him to transport it above the clouds.
Fi's voice is made up of gibberish with a synthesized tone, emulating a real language. Her style of speech is also emotionless and robotic, and she has a propensity for providing statistical percentages for various conditions. Curiously, Fi has an innate inability to comprehend human emotions despite being capable of detecting them.
Fi refers to Link as her Master, having recognized him as the Chosen Hero to complete Hylia's mission. Despite her initial lack of emotion, she develops a subtle friendship with Link, learning to cherish the moments they spent together and thanking him before she enters an eternal sleep into the Master Sword.
In Hyrule Warriors, Fi's personality changes very little, although she seems to be somewhat fiercer, fighting alongside the other characters against enemy troops.
An early design for Fi drew inspiration from the Fairy Queen from The Wind Waker, and depicted her with a grayer aesthetic. This design was used as the basis for her final appearance, which also incorporates design elements of the Master Sword itself. Most of Fi's body is purple, like the Sword's hilt, though Fi's legs share the green straps adorning the hilt, and the rest is a bluish-white, like the blade. The upper part of Fi's cloak resembles the Goddess Sword's crossguard. According to Hyrule Historia, Fi is meant to appear between 13 and 14 years old.
In contrast with her final design, the base of her dress from her E3 2009 design was initially segmented and there were significantly more green lines strapping her legs. She also had a collar, which was removed in favor of a line bisecting her cloak-like wings. leading down to the diamond adorning her chest. This diamond was originally much smaller and lower, situated on her solar plexus. The golden lines flanking the diamond were also moved further apart in her final design, no longer converging at the sides of the diamond. The ends of her wings were initially pointed, ultimately becoming round and frilled in the final design.
- According to the Hyrule Historia, Fi was inspired by the personal assistants of main characters in 1980s anime.
Fi's name could possibly be a reference to the commonly-used abbreviation for fidelis, Latin for "faithful" or "loyal".
|Names in Other Regions|
|FrenchCA||Fay||Transliteration of Japanese name, also a play on the word "Fée" meaning Fairy|
|German||Phai||Transliteration of Japanese name|
|Italian||Faih||Transliteration of Japanese name|
|Russian||Фай (Fay)||From English|
Fi's Stone Mask Costume from the Termina Map from Hyrule Warriors
|Fi – Goddess Blade gameplay from Hyrule Warriors|
- "Fi fought alongside Link as the spirit living inside his Sword." — Hyrule Warriors Direct, YouTube, published August 4, 2014.
- "Your name is...Fi? Dzzt! Should I call you Mistress Fi? Are you looking for something, Mistress Fi?" — Scrapper (Skyward Sword)
- "Fi, Spirit of the Sword" — Tutorial (Hyrule Warriors)
- "When that sword is actively guiding Link it actually transforms into a feminine figure. I wouldn't say that it's female per se but it's a feminine figure." — Eiji Aonuma, Skyward Sword is not Princess Zelda - Aonuma, Official Nintendo Magazine, published August 3, 2010, retrieved February 18, 2017.
- "The flames of Nayru have transformed your blade, expanding Fi's powers. She can now help you use your dowsing ability to search for more objects!" — N/A (Skyward Sword)
- "Fi" (Art & Artifacts (Dark Horse Books), pg. 332 (SS))
- "First, she created Fi. She made the spirit that resides in your sword to serve a single purpose: to assist her chosen hero on his mission." — Zelda (Skyward Sword)
- "I was created for a single purpose, long before the recorded memory of your people. I must aid you in fulfilling the great destiny that is your burden to carry." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "Link, the goddess created Fi and the great blade she's a part of for very specific reasons." — Zelda (Skyward Sword)
- "Rise, Link... The time has come for you to awaken... You are fated to have a hand in a great destiny, and it will soon find you... The time has come for you to awaken... Link..." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "Come, Link. You must take up this sword. As the one chosen by my creator, it is your destiny." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "The youth who draws forth the guiding sword shall be known as the goddess's chosen hero, and it is he who possesses an unbreakable spirit. He shall be burdened with the task of abolishing the shadow of apocalypse from the land. Such is his destiny. With the spirit of the blade at his side, he shall soar over the clouds and plummet below... ...And united with the spirit maiden, shall bring forth a piercing light that resurrects the land." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "In the name of my creator, draw the sword and raise it skyward. [...] Recognition complete, Master..." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "This tablet will illuminate a path through the clouds to the land below. Take it, and place it within the altar behind me." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "Master Link, it is done. Until now, a cloud barrier created by the goddess has separated the world you know from the one below. The tablet you placed in the altar has opened a small rift in the barrier. You can use it to travel through the clouds to the realm below." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "Master Link, you have successfully protected the goddess reborn and defeated Demise, fulfilling your role as the hero of legend. My purpose here is complete. My purpose here is complete. Therefore, I ask you to dissolve our arrangement as master and servant. Drive the sword into the pedestal before you, and I will return to the sword to enter a sleep without end. Master, you have achieved the purpose you were chosen to fulfill. Please, set the sword in the pedestal and bring the goddess's mission to an end. Now, Master. It is time to conclude our necessary companionship." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "Link, hear me. My purpose was to obey the command of the goddess and lead you, the chosen hero of this land, on your quest. When I first awoke and began this task, I perceived it as merely serving my function as a servant to Her Grace. However, I have come to consider the information corresponding to our time together among the most precious data I have on record. I do not have the capability to fully understand the human spirit, Link... But now, at the end of my journey with you, as I prepare to sleep within the Master Sword forever, I experience a feeling I am unable to identify. I lack sufficient data to be sure of my conclusion, but I believe this feeling correlates closest to what your people call...happiness." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "Our partnership is at an end, and even as we speak, I feel my consciousness fading away. Before I enter the sleep that calls me to the sword, I wish to relay to you words that I recorded many times over the course of our journey. Many have said them to you thus far, but I now wish to say them for myself... Thank you, Master Link. May we meet again in another life..." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "Tell me the truth... How proficient are you right now wielding that sword on your back? Legend says that an ancient voice resonates inside it. Can you hear it yet...hero?" — Zelda (Breath of the Wild)
- "The sword...? So he can... He can still be saved?" — Zelda (Breath of the Wild)
- "Take Link to the Shrine of Resurrection. If you don't get him there immediately, we are going to lose him forever!" — Zelda (Breath of the Wild)
- "The Master Sword... I heard it speak to me." — Zelda (Breath of the Wild)
- "I can no longer hear the voice inside the sword. I suppose it would make sense if my power had dwindled over the past 100 years... I'm surprised to admit it... But I can accept that." — Zelda (Breath of the Wild)
- "When you struck the crest with a Skyward Strike from your sword, a message from the goddess awakened deep within my memory. The goddess intended this message for you, Master. These are her words." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "I reside within your sword and will accompany you in your travels. Press to summon me whenever you require my assistance." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "Once I'm summoned, select Advice or Hints and I will promptly offer you information pertinent to your current circumstance." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "While targeting an enemy with , press to summon me. I will provide information on your enemy as well as your battle-performance rating." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "Master Link, I have detected Zelda's aura emanating from within this structure." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "Yes, Master. I will signal the robot with a telepathic transmission." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "Taking this into account, I calculate an 85% probability that your quest will be aided if you find the lost Kikwis for the elder. To expedite your search for these forest-dwelling creatures, I have added Kikwis as a dowsing option." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "Your hearts have decreased quite dramatically. Replenish some of your life at the earliest opportunity." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "To ensure that you are able to find more hearts when you need them, they are now available as a target for your dowsing ability. Hold and choose hearts from the circle of objects to set them as your current target. This capability should prove to be quite useful." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "The integrity of your shield has weakened. Be wary of the remaining durability of this item." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "Master, the batteries in your Wii Remote are nearly depleted." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "Master, I have a message written in the language of the gods of old. Allow me to translate for you." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "Master, I will send word to the robot using telepathic transmission." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "Analysis indicates a 90% chance that the sounds we have been hearing were the loud snores of this Kikwi." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "I sense a large disturbance in this individual's aura. There is an 85% probability that he is experiencing the emotion humans refer to as "love."" — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "The one chosen by my creator. I have been waiting for you. You will play a role in a great destiny." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "Like the Fairy Queen in Wind Waker" (Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 12)
- "Since the spirit of the Goddess Sword would eventually become the Master Sword, there were many design components taken from the Master Sword and implemented as motifs here." (Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 13)
- "Looks 13 or 14 years old" (Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 12)
- "... at the beginning, we had imagined this a la 1980s anime, in which the main character was usually accompanied by a beautiful personal assistant" (Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 13)