Gamepedia was upgraded to MediaWiki version 1.31 on Wednesday November 14th. To learn more about the upgrade and its effects click here.
Farore from Ocarina of Time
|Title||Goddess of Courage|
Goddess of Wind
|Game(s)||A Link to the Past|
Ocarina of Time
The Wind Waker
Farore is one of the three Golden Goddesses who created the realm of Hyrule (along with parallel realms, such as the Sacred Realm). She is the source of all life that exists within the Hyrulean realm. Farore's essence, as well as the essence of her two sisters Din and Nayru, is the source of the Golden Power within the omnipotent sacred relic, the Triforce. Her crest is the Mark of Farore.
At the dawn of time, Farore, along with her sisters, Din and Nayru, descended upon the chaos that was to become the land of Hyrule, each of them creating a different facet of the realm. According to Ocarina of Time, Farore, "with her rich soul, produced all life forms who would uphold the law." Upon departure, they created the Triforce, the essence of their power, and left it within the Sacred Realm.
Farore's divine essence is what constitutes the Triforce of Courage, which affords Link his great courage and mystical abilities. To a much smaller extent, Farore's essence can also be invoked by a powerful sorcerer. Farore's essence is often represented by wind as exemplified in the spell Farore's Wind.
Farore is the creator of all life that exists within the Hyrulean realm. Because of her role in creating all life, Farore is associated with regions that flourish with life, namely forests, such as the Lost Woods and the Faron Woods. She also is worshiped as the Goddess of the Winds as referred to in The Wind Waker, and her essence is represented by the winds. Through her association with the forest, symbols and talismans meant to evoke Farore are often colored green.
Although Farore is the creator of all of the races in the Hyrulean realm, Farore is most closely associated with forest-dwellers such as the Kokiri and the Deku due to the fact that she has a "rich soul"; children are said to be innocent caring beings with high inner awareness. Fittingly for the Goddess of the Wind, Farore is commonly associated with wind instruments, such as the ocarina or flute.
A Link to the Past
Although never mentioned in-game, the A Link to the Past manual describes how the three Golden Goddesses descended to the world and created life and order. Farore, referred to by the manual as the "God of Courage", created the life that would inhabit the world. Despite Farore being referred to as a "god" instead of a "goddess" like in later Zelda games, the A Link to the Past/Four Swords manual changed it to a more ambiguous word: "deity." As such, it can be safely assumed that the God of Courage described in the manual is Farore, the Goddess of Courage.
Ocarina of Time
In her first in-game appearance in Ocarina of Time, Farore is depicted as a golden figure surrounded by a greenish aura, and it is also in this game that she is first referred to as the Goddess, not God, of Courage. She is first seen when the Great Deku Tree explains to Link the history of Hyrule's creation, which includes a cut-scene of Farore soaring along with the other two Golden Goddesses: Nayru and Din. She is last seen as the three goddesses depart to the heavens and leave the Triforce hidden in the Sacred Realm.
The Wind Waker
In The Wind Waker, Din, Nayru, and Farore are mentioned during the introduction of the game as well as when King Daphnes Nohansen Hyrule explains the tale of the Great Flood to both Link and Tetra. The three goddesses, after hearing the pleas of the people of Hyrule who were faced by Ganon's onslaught of evil, instructed them to flee to Hyrule's mountaintops in order to escape the apocalypse they were about to unleash upon the land to halt Ganondorf's invasion. It was then that the Golden Goddesses chose to seal away the kingdom of Hyrule by bringing a "torrential downpour of rains from the heavens," leaving the land forgotten beneath the waves.
There is also a statue depicting Farore's characteristics, which can be found in one Eastern Triangle Island. The statue of Farore appears similar to Farore, the Oracle of Secrets who is named after her from Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons.
During the Light Spirit Lanayru's tale of the Sacred Realm, the history of how the three goddesses created the land of Hyrule is retold, albeit in a more compressed manner. Lanayru goes on to explain how word of the Sacred Realm soon spread throughout Hyrule, causing a great battle and marking the appearance of the Dark Interlopers who excelled at magic. These sorcerers tried to establish dominion over the Sacred Realm, but it was then that the goddesses, Farore included, commanded the three Light Spirits to intervene and seal away the great magic the interlopers had mastered.
Farore is also one of the Golden Goddesses depicted in a giant monument that appears in the throne room of Hyrule Castle.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Furol, God of Courage|
Goddess of Courage: Furol
|ChineseTR||勇氣女神花柔||Courage Goddess Huāróu|
|French||Farore, déesse du Courage (OoT)|
|FrenchCA||Farore, déesse du courage (OoT3D)|
|German||Farore, die Göttin des Mutes (OoT)||Farore, the Goddess of Courage|
|Italian||Farore, la Dea del Coraggio|
|Korean||펠, 용기의 여신||Pel, Goddess of Courage|
|Spanish||Farore, la diosa del valor (OoT3D)|
- "Outset Island was said to be blessed by Farore, the Goddess of Wind." — Tingle (The Wind Waker)
- "Carved on the stake in the head of the Imprisoned are the crests of Farore and the other two goddesses." (Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 41 (SS))
- "Farore's rich soul created all life forms who would uphold the law." (Ocarina of Time manual, pg. 5)
- "Aeons ago, the Deities of Power, Courage, and Wisdom descended to the world of chaos. They created the world that we know and left behind a symbol of their strength, the golden emblem known as the Triforce, which they hid in the Golden Land." (A Link to the Past & Four Swords manual, pg. 14)
- "After the gods had finished their work, they left the world, but not before creating a symbol of their strength, a golden triangle known as the Triforce. A small but powerful portion of the essence of the gods was held in this mighty artifact, which was to guide the intelligent life on the world of Hyrule." (A Link to the Past manual, pg. 3)
- "Before time began, before spirits and life existed... Three golden goddesses descended upon the chaos that was Hyrule... Din, the goddess of power... Nayru, the goddess of wisdom... Farore, the goddess of courage... [...] Farore... With her rich soul, produced all life forms who would uphold the law." — Great Deku Tree (Ocarina of Time)
- "The three great goddesses, their labors completed, departed for the heavens. And golden sacred triangles remained at the point where the goddesses left the world. Since then, the sacred triangles have become the basis of our world's providence. And, the resting place of the triangles has become the Sacred Realm." — Great Deku Tree (Ocarina of Time)
- "You got Farore's Wind! This is warp magic you can use with (C). Warp when you are in danger! You will teleport to the Warp Point. When you first use the magic, you will create a Warp Point. When you use the magic again, you can either dispel the Warp Point you created last time or warp to that point." — N/A (Ocarina of Time)
- "According to the Hylian scrolls, the mythical gods descended from a distant nebula to the world that was and created order and life." (A Link to the Past manual, pg. 3)
- "And the God of Courage, through justice and vigor, created life: the animals that crawl in the land and the birds that soar in the sky." (A Link to the Past manual, pg. 3)
- "Faced by an onslaught of evil, the people could do nothing but appeal to the gods. In their last hour, as doom drew nigh, they left their future in the hands of fate." — Introduction (The Wind Waker)
- "When the gods heard our pleas, they chose to seal away not only Ganon, but Hyrule itself...and so, with a torrential downpour of rains from the heavens... Our fair kingdom was soon buried beneath the waves, forgotten at the bottom of the ocean. Yet all was not lost. [...] So, before the sealing of the kingdom, the gods chose those who would build a new country and commanded them to take refuge on the mountaintops." — King Daphnes Nohansen Hyrule (The Wind Waker)
- "When all was chaos, the goddesses descended and gave order and life to the world. They granted power equally to all who dwelt in the light, and then returned to the heavens. The lands where the goddesses descended came to be known as the Sacred Realm." — Lanayru (Twilight Princess)
- "For ages, the people lived at ease, content in mind and body... But soon, word of the Sacred Realm spread through Hyrule, and a great battle ensued... Among those living in the light, interlopers who excelled at magic appeared." — Lanayru (Twilight Princess)
- "Wielding powerful sorcery, they tried to establish dominion over the Sacred Realm. It was then that the goddesses ordered us three light spirits to intervene. We sealed away the great magic those individuals had mastered." — Lanayru (Twilight Princess)