Queen of the Fairies
|Queen of the Fairies|
Artwork of the Queen of the Fairies from The Wind Waker HD
|Era||Era of the Great Sea|
Era of Light and Dark
The Queen of the Fairies,(TWW) also known as the Queen Fairy,(OoA) the Fairy Queen,(TWW | FSA) and the Queen of Fairies,(TWW) is the Fairy that rules over all of the Fairies and Great Fairies in The Legend of Zelda series. They are known to be much more powerful than the Great Fairies, and as such, they can empower Link with abilities that no Great Fairy can bestow upon the young hero. Various Fairy Queens have appeared throughout the series with their appearances changing drastically between each game.
A Link to the Past
- Main article: Venus
Link's Awakening DX
In Link's Awakening DX, a Great Fairy who is proclaimed as the Fairy Queen can be found within the Link's Awakening DX-exclusive dungeon, the Color Dungeon. She is residing in the last room in a pool, and as thanks for visiting her, she will offer to grant Link the 'power of color' by changing his green tunic into either a Red Clothes or a Blue Clothes. The Red Tunic will increase the offense of Link's weapons, whereas the Blue Tunic will increase his defense against attacks. Link can revisit the Fairy Queen to change between the two tunics, but he can never change back into his green tunic.
Oracle of Ages
The Fairy Queen in Oracle of Ages is known as the guardian of the sea and lives near the Eyeglass Island Library, protecting the waters of the Zora Seas. When Link first meets her, she has been transfigured by Veran into an Octorok, and informs the young hero that only by sprinkling the Fairy Powder on her can she return to her normal appearance. Link finds the powder and uses it on her, restoring her as the Fairy Queen and cleansing the sea of Veran's evil influence.
Curiously, the Fairy Queen from Oracle of Ages has the same appearance as the Great Fairies from this and other portable Zelda games. The only difference between them is their color: the Fairy Queen is red while other Great Fairies are orange.
The Wind Waker
|Queen of Fairies (Figurine from The Wind Waker)|
|Birthplace: Fairy Island.|
Talent: Empowering arrows with fire and ice.
She appears to be but a child, but she is much greater and much more powerful than the Great Fairies. She will grant Link the power to add fire and ice to his arrows.
The Queen of the Fairies in The Wind Waker is located in the Mother and Child Isles, which can be accessed only by using the Ballad of Gales and after rescuing Aryll from the Forsaken Fortress. She rewards Link with the ability to wield Fire Arrows and Ice Arrows.
Unlike previous Fairy Queens, she has the voice, appearance, and mannerisms of a child, although it is unknown if this is her true form: the mechanical sounds in her variation of the Great Fairy music, her puppetry of a Great Fairy doll, and a 'cut puppet strings' motion when she disappears lends credence to this. She also holds a doll resembling a Great Fairy, which is what she uses to grant the young hero the Fire and Ice Arrows. After the Queen of the Fairies hands over the powerful Arrows, she flirts with Link by saying that he is just her type, which embarrasses him.
Four Swords Adventures
The Queen of Fairies also makes a small cameo in Four Swords Adventures during the Hyrule Castle level. She had heard the Shrine Maidens' cries from afar and came to the castle in an attempt to help them, but found that the castle was overtaken by fiends who captured her and split her into two Zoras. She asks the four Links to find her other half, and when he does, they reunite and reveal themselves to be the Fairy Queen, who easily obliterates the barrier and soldiers guarding the entrance to the castle. As thanks for helping her, the Queen of Fairies promises the four Links to tell the other Great Fairies to help them whenever needed.
Even though the Fairy Queen has a similar appearance as the one from The Wind Waker, she curiously refers to herself as a Great Fairy after she recovers her true form. The power used by the Fairy Queen during the Hyrule Castle level is the first and only time thus far that allows the audience to catch a glimpse of the tremendous power that Fairy Queens possess.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||女神 (Megami) (ALttP)
妖精の女王 (Yōsei no Joō)
超妖精 (Chō Yōsei) (FSA)
Queen of Fairies
|FrenchEU||Reine des Fées||Queen of Fairies|
|German||Feen-Königin||Same as English.|
|Italian||Fata Regina||Same as English.|
|SpanishEU||Reina de las Hadas||Queen of the Fairies|
- "She appears to be but a child, but she is much greater and much more powerful than the Great Fairies. She will grant Link the power to add fire and ice to his arrows." — Queen of Fairies Figurine (The Wind Waker)
- "The Wind Waker
The Great Fairy (left) and the Queen of the Fairies (right), the latter of which takes a childlike form." (Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 23 (TWWHD))
- "Please listen, young one! You may not believe this, but I am the Queen Fairy, guardian of this sea! The curse of an evil one named Veran has made me appear so!" — Queen Fairy (Oracle of Ages)
- "Fairy Queen" (Art & Artifacts (Dark Horse Books), pg. 233 (TWWHD))
- "Four Swords Adventures
If Link saves the Fairy Queen (right), who was split in two by monsters, the Great Fairies (left) will also lend their aid." (Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 23 (FSA))
- "Today I have prepared a pictograph of the Queen of Fairies." — Lenzo (The Wind Waker)
- "The fairy queen is waiting for you." — Skeletal Guard (Link's Awakening DX)
- "Welcome, Link . I admire you for coming this far. I will give you the power of color. If you want offense, choose red. If you want defense choose blue. Which power do you want? RED BLUE" — Great Fairy (Link's Awakening DX)
- "The magic of Fairy Powder can turn me back to normal. Veran has poisoned the sea. Soon all living things in it will perish! Please go find some Fairy Powder!" — Fairy Queen (Oracle of Ages)
- "You brought me Fairy Powder! Now I can return to normal! Sprinkle the powder on me! Thank you, young one! Now I can cleanse the seas of evil!" — Fairy Queen (Oracle of Ages)
- "I like you. And so, I shall give new power to the bow that you wield." — Queen of the Fairies (The Wind Waker HD)
- "Child... I must tell you... You are just my type. Tee hee hee!" — Queen of the Fairies (The Wind Waker HD)
- "I heard the maidens' cries and came running to find the castle a nest of fiends. They captured me and split me in two. That's why I look so horrible right now. Please, I beg of you. Reunite my two halves! Make me whole again!" — Fairy Queen (Four Swords Adventures)
- "I didn't think I would ever be allowed to reclaim my true form as a Great Fairy again! Thank you so much, brave ones!" — Fairy Queen (Four Swords Adventures)
- "Uh-oh! It looks like those soldiers have noticed us. I'll take care of this!" — Fairy Queen (Four Swords Adventures)
- "So this is the magical barrier that barred your way? Allow me to take care of this." — Fairy Queen (Four Swords Adventures)
- "I'll let all of my friends throughout Hyrule know... "If you run into four travelers with one face, tend to their weariness and ease the burden of their travels!"" — Fairy Queen (Four Swords Adventures)