Ezlo, also known as Cap Ezlo when transformed into a hat by Vaati, is a character and Link's main companion in The Minish Cap. He has the appearance of a green cap, like the one Link usually wears for his adventures, but with a face resembling a bird, with a huge yellow beak and cartoony eyes.
Ezlo gives Link advice and background of the current situation throughout the adventure, both spontaneously and on demand, with use of the Select button. Ezlo's main use, gameplay-wise, is to shrink Link to Minish size whenever he nears a Minish Portal. He also serves as a parachute when Link jumps into whirlwinds, similar in use to The Wind Waker's Deku Leaf.
Link finds Ezlo in the Minish Woods being attacked by two Octoroks. After the young hero saves him, Ezlo unites with Link and helps him on his quest for defeating Vaati and returning the Picori Blade to its former power.
Before meeting Link, Ezlo was a renowned Minish craftsman and sage, who was working on a cap that would grant the wishes of its wearer. The cap was supposed to be a gift for the humans, but when he finished the aforementioned Mage's Cap, his apprentice Vaati (who was also a Minish at the time) stole it from his work desk and placed it onto himself, using its power to turn himself into the "most powerful sorcerer". Ezlo attempted to stop Vaati, but was unsuccessful. Vaati used the power he had received from the Minish Cap to curse Ezlo, transforming him into a creature resembling a cross between a green hat and a bird. Ezlo pursued Vaati into Hyrule through the Minish Door, leading to his meeting with Link.
After Link defeats Vaati in Dark Hyrule Castle, Ezlo is transformed back into his original form. He tells Zelda to combine her power with the Mage's Cap in order to undo all the damage done by Vaati. Before the Minish Door closes for another hundred years, Ezlo gives Link a green hat similar to the form he took while under Vaati's curse, remarking that it's the first time he's seen him wearing one and that it suits him.
|Minish Ezlo (Figurine from The Minish Cap)|
|The Minish Ezlo, before he was cursed by Vaati. He is a famous Minish sage. Even among Minish inventors, he was renowned for his amazing creations.|
|Ezlo and Link (Figurine from The Minish Cap)|
Ezlo and Link
|A young boy on a quest with Ezlo to restore the Four Sword. With the sword's power, he hopes to remove the curse on Princess Zelda.|
|Ezlo (Cap) (Figurine from The Minish Cap)|
|A strange creature that looks at first like a cap. He speaks roughly and treats Link like a child, but he actually really likes Link.|
- The game menu normally displays several Ezlo images as a background.
- Ezlo's face is only seen when he is talking or if the player wants advice; on occasions other than these, Link's hat model is the same as in Four Swords.
- With full health Ezlo appears with his beak open and held high. After losing health, Ezlo's image has a closed beak, held low. If Link only has one Heart Container of Health left; then Ezlo's image will appear exhausted.
- Ezlo's cap form has similar properties to his sage form; namely, the swirl of hair on his head, and the appearance of his eyes. His staff also has a beak and the swirl of hair similar to his cap form.
|Names in Other Regions|
- "The Minish Ezlo, before he was cursed by Vaati. He is a famous Minish sage. Even among Minish inventors, he was renowned for his amazing creations." — Figurine (The Minish Cap)
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 270 (TMC)
- "Now, I suppose a boy like you still has much to learn about the world. If ever you need my insight, press SELECT. I'll be happy to help!" — Ezlo (The Minish Cap)
- "Look at that. At first glance, it appears to be a mere stump, yes? No! That stump is a portal used by people long ago to adjust their size! With my help, you can use it to shrink down to Minish size." — Ezlo (The Minish Cap)
- "Hmn?! Hmmmmnnnn... Ah, of course! How silly of me! Hey, my boy! Jump into that vortex over there for me! I think I've got an idea!" — Ezlo (The Minish Cap)
- "Helllllp!!! Help meeee!!! Ouch! Won't somebody stop them!? Ow! Ow! Help... Somebody! Can't anybody hear me?" — Ezlo (The Minish Cap)
- "You know, you and I have a lot in common. You see, I, too, am on a quest to break a curse of Vaati's. And you say that reforging the sacred blade can break his curse, eh? Well, then you have found yourself a companion, my boy! My name is Ezlo. It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance." — Ezlo (The Minish Cap)
- "That foul Vaati! What could he be scheming now? Link... I feel I owe you an explanation of what has happened. You see, Vaati and I are both Minish. I was once a famous sage and a renowned Minish craftsman. Vaati was only a boy when I took him on as my apprentice. But...he became enchanted by the wickedness in the hearts of men. One day, Vaati took a hat I made for the humans —-- my pride and joy. It granted the wishes of its wearer. He put it on without my permission..." — Ezlo (The Minish Cap)
- "If one with a just heart wears this cap, things can be made right again. Princess Zelda! Let your wishes be made real!" — Ezlo (The Minish Cap)
- "The Minish Door opens but once in a hundred years, and it will soon close. I must return to my homeland soon." — Ezlo (The Minish Cap)
- "Heh... You know, I've never actually seen you wearing a cap until now! It suits you, little hero." — Ezlo (The Minish Cap)