Eldin Volcano as seen in-game
Eldin Volcano is a location in Skyward Sword. It is the main feature of the Eldin Province, which is located on the surface world below Skyloft. It is home to the great protector of the Eldin Province, Eldin, the Fire Dragon. Deep within the volcano itself lies two of the game's dungeons: the Earth Temple near the top of the volcano and Fire Sanctuary within the Summit.
At some point in the past, Eldin Volcano was a peaceful and prosperous place where people both above ground and below lived together in harmony by the blessing of the great mountain. In the present, it has become an unfortunately dangerous and unforgiving place full of desolation and chaos.
It is the second location on the Surface that Link visits on his quest to find Zelda. When Link arrives, he learns from the local Mogmas that Bokoblins have begun to appear all over Eldin Volcano, setting up camps and scaring off the Mogmas from the area. Link ascends the Volcano and eventually reaches the entrance to the Earth Temple, where he sees Ledd and Cobal discussing how to get into the Temple. Overhearing their conversation, Link learns that Zelda has been captured and taken into the Temple by Bokoblins and that they broke the key that unlocks the door into five shards. Cobal suggests to Ledd that they dig their way into the Temple instead of finding the Pieces of the Key. The two Mogmas proceed to dig their way under the Temple to enter it, leaving Link to seek the hidden Pieces of the Key. After finding all five Pieces, Link assembles the Key and unlocks the door to the Earth Temple, which he enters to search for Zelda.
Later, Link returns to Eldin Volcano to complete Din's Silent Realm Trial. After completing the trial, Link acquires the Fireshield Earrings, which he uses to withstand the extreme heat near the peak of the mountain and safely travel to the Volcano Summit. Link ventures through the scorching cave and finds Gorko near the entrance to the Fire Sanctuary. He explains that pillars of flames are blocking the path leading to the entrance. Link reads a riddle on a stone slab that suggests that using an Empty Bottle to pour Water on the tongue of a nearby frog statue will open the way. Link pours water on the tongues of two frog statues to put out the flames obscuring their path and reach the Fire Sanctuary. However, there is a larger frog statue at the entrance that requires much more water than the other statues. Link returns to Lake Floria to ask Faron the Water Dragon permission to use the Water Basin she was recuperating in to extinguish the pillar of flames blocking the entrance to the sanctuary. After Faron grants Link permission to use the basin, Fi summons the Ancient Robot Scrapper and requests him to carry the basin to the Volcano Summit. Link has to protect Scrapper from any enemies on the way up to the Summit. Once they reach the Sanctuary, Scrapper dumps the Water Basin onto the large frog statue, and the entrance to the dungeon opens.
Link visits the Volcano a third time to learn a part of the Song of the Hero from Eldin the Fire Dragon, but the Volcano erupts and Link is knocked unconscious while descending to the area. He is captured by Bokoblins, who have taken advantage of the eruption and annexed the entire Volcano. They steal Link's weapons and items and imprison him in a cell. Plats digs his way into the cell and gives Link his Mogma Mitts, which he stole back from the Bokoblins, to help him escape. After he escapes his cell, Link has to infiltrate the camp that the Bokoblins have set up and retrieve his items one by one. In the following order, Link retrieves his Gust Bellows, Clawshots, Whip, Slingshot and Bombs. During this time, Link cannot return to the sky because of the clouds of ash created by the eruption. After arriving at the Volcano Summit, Link locates the Master Sword, and reunites with Fi. The rest of Link's gear is inside his Adventure Pouch, which is located in a Treasure Chest deeper inside the Volcano Summit. After Link meets Eldin and learns his part of the Song of the Hero, the Fire Dragon reveals that the volcano's eruption was an explosion of his power, and apologizes to Link for getting him caught up in it. The volcano finally calms down, the skies clear up, and the Bokoblins disappear from the area.
Features and Overview
Eldin Volcano is an active volcano that consists of lava and magma. It is an area so hot that entering its Summit without the protection of the Fireshield Earrings will result in Link taking damage. Prominent throughout the mountainous area are ancient ruins resembling the architecture of the Earth Temple and the Fire Sanctuary located nearby. Bomb Flowers are an essential item to exploration of the Volcano and can be found blooming throughout the area. Link can use them to destroy pathways and caves blocked by large rocks.
According to Fi, 65% of the Volcano is covered by lava, and a large number of creatures manage to thrive in the extreme heat. Eldin Volcano contains many steep hills that Link must climb, and Bokoblins use ledges on these hills as vantage points from which to throw boulders at Link as he attempts to scale the mountain. The Volcano area also has caves, an underground section, and a small number of scattered Mogma and Bokoblin villages.
The treasure-hunting Mogma race can be found scattered throughout the area, giving information on the Volcano's hidden treasures, which include green, blue and red Rupees, the rarer silver and gold Rupees, as well as frequent Amber Relics and Eldin Ore. The Digging Mitts are also obtained here after Link helps a Mogma clear out a group of red Bokoblins while exploring the Volcano. These Mitts can be used to dig into mounds of dirt where Eldin Ore and Rupees can be commonly found.
There is a mini-game, Thrill Digger, that involves the use of the Digging Mitts and is run by a Mogma named Tubert. It involves digging up holes for Rupees in an attempt to earn more than the amount initially spent on it. If Link digs up a bomb, he loses.
In some Norwegian dialects and Swedish, Eld means fire, which is convenient for the Volcano's theme.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||オルディン火山 (Orudin Kazan)||Oldin Volcano|
|FrenchEU||Volcan d'Ordinn||Ordinn Volcano|
|SpanishLA||Volcán de Eldin||Eldin Volcano|
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 296
- "Yes... This mountain was not always such a dangerous and unforgiving place. There was a time when those above-ground and those below lived together in harmony by the blessing of the great mountain. The desolation that you see now is all that remains to remind us of those glorious days...." — Eldin (Skyward Sword)
- "Gyaah! Sneak attack! Wait... You ain't one of those red guys. Don't creep up on me like that! Almost had to tackle ya there. Didn't mean to yell at ya, but those red jerks moved in and have been stinking up our turf, ya know. They came up through that hole back there, so I sunk the road leading to it in lava. That'll stop more of 'em from moving in, I'd say. Of course we can tunnel underneath it, so it's no sweat for us. Pretty clever, right? So stay away from the plug that's holding back the lava. It'll do more than singe your brows off. Bye now!" — Mogma (Skyward Sword)
- "Grr... Those creeps just shimmied on in and took over our territory. Yeow! What're you doing? Don't be sneakin' up on me like that! Huh? You're looking for your friend? Can't help you there. Nobody's come through here, so... Maybe they went up the mountain from over thataway. Ahh... Wish someone would chase these clowns outta here." — Mogma (Skyward Sword)
- "A key! K-E-Y, KEY! They busted up the key to that door and hid the pieces all over the place. I'm telling you, one of the five pieces is buried right around here." — Ledd (Skyward Sword)
- "Hey, that reminds me... That strange blonde girl in the weird clothes got taken away too." — Cobal (Skyward Sword)
- "Hey... Why are we so worried about a key when we can just dig our way in?" — Cobal (Skyward Sword)
- "I wish there was something we could do to put out these flames..." — Gorko (Skyward Sword)
- "All I can say is that is a big frog with a big thirst. I do not think the amount of water one of your little bottles can hold is going to cut it this time. Hmmm... You will have to have a big container to hold the water needed for this job. Got anything like that? And speaking of which, where are you going to get all the water? I gotta say, I am pretty much stumped." — Gorko (Skyward Sword)
- "Oh? You wish to borrow my water basin? Hmm... Very well. I have recovered, and I have no intention of having to soak in it again soon!" — Faron (Skyward Sword)
- "I bust up enemies like a junkyard wrecker, zzizat! Too bad I've got my mitts full with this basin, bzzz... Hey, Master Shortpants! Since we came all this way, let's play a little game called "protect the robot," bzzrt! Here's how it works--I'll follow you up the volcano, zzzrt, and you make sure nothing touches me. Got it? Good! Your job is simple, zzrrt! You make sure none of these monsters lays a claw on me. NOT...ONE...CLAW!" — LD-301S Scrapper (Skyward Sword)
- "You want me to pour the water on this? No problem, zzzbrt!" — LD-301S Scrapper (Skyward Sword)
- "Don't you gotta take care of your own business first? Haven't ya noticed? They swiped all your stuff! While you were out, they shook you down good, pal! You're gonna want to get your stuff back before ya go and try anything else." — Plats (Skyward Sword)
- "I can get you started. I stole these back for ya..." — Plats (Skyward Sword)
- "You got your Mogma Mitts back! Use them to plan an escape that even a Mogma would be proud of." — N/A (Skyward Sword)
- "You got your Gust Bellows back! The power to blast a powerful gust of air at anything you choose is yours once again!" — N/A (Skyward Sword)
- "You got your Clawshots back! Now you can reach faraway spots again." — N/A (Skyward Sword)
- "You got your Whip back! Look around to see if there's something in the area you can grab with it." — N/A (Skyward Sword)
- "You got your Slingshot back! Use it to stun enemies on patrol." — N/A (Skyward Sword)
- "You got your Bomb Bag back! Time to make something explode." — N/A (Skyward Sword)
- "You got the True Master Sword back! Now you can cut right through your troubles like before! You can also talk to Fi again." — N/A (Skyward Sword)
- "You got your Adventure Pouch back! And look! The rest of your items are here, too!" — N/A (Skyward Sword)
- "I'm afraid that eruption was caused by an explosion of my power. It looks like you were caught up in it. My apologies." — Eldin (Skyward Sword)
- "A report, Master. The volcanic activity that impeded your return to the sky earlier has ceased. It is now possible to return to the sky again." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "Bomb flowers. You're joking, right?? Those are them growing right over there.You pick one with, and the fuse lights. A few seconds later...BOOM! You don't wanna stop and sniff this flower. Dangerous plants, believe me. But once you learn to use them, they're a powerful weapon. Us Mogmas are crazy about 'em! You can toss and roll them the same way you do jars. See what you can do with those bomb flowers over there." — Mogma (Skyward Sword)
- "You're looking pretty chipper, pal. You come back to do some treasure hunting? You may already know this, but Eldin Volcano is riddled with hidden caves. You can find 'em by checking around for thin, cracked walls. You can find all kinds of things in these caves. It's mostly Rupees, sure, but ya never know. If you get the itch for loot, you should try some cave hunting." — Mogma (Skyward Sword)
- "Just curious, but...what do ya think those red guys eat, anyway?." — Mogma (Skyward Sword)
- "Us Mogmas have claimed this territory to search around for riches. We're what you'd call treasure hunters. There are loads of these red, blue, and green stones called Rupees around here. Sometimes you can even find silver and gold ones too. And while they ain't technically treasure, you can also find these tough mineral chunks. I bet you could use'em to make stuff. Since you're here and all, you might as well look around, right?" — Mogma (Skyward Sword)
- "Whoa... You took out every last one of 'em..." — Mogma (Skyward Sword)
- "You're one tough customer! Thanks for all your help! I don't blame you for not knowing this, but us Mogmas always honor our debts. Let me give you something to prove it. Any special requests? Oh, right. You're trying to find your friend, arent'tcha? In that case, take these things! They're something pretty special, if I say so myself." — Mogma (Skyward Sword)
- "Hello there! Thanks for stopping by. First time here, am I right? The name's Tubert. Nice to meet you! I run this little game I like to call Thrill Digger! Do you like money? How about explosions? Well, dig up some Rupees before you hit a bomb in a suspenseful game of Thrill Digger! Want to try it?" — Tubert (Skyward Sword)