Eldin Volcano is a location in Skyward Sword. It is the main feature of the Eldin Province, which is located on the surface world below Skyloft. It is home to the great protector of the Eldin Province, Eldin, the Fire Dragon. Deep within the volcano itself lies two of the game's dungeons: the Earth Temple near the tip of the volcano and Fire Sanctuary within the summit.
At some point in the past, Eldin Volcano was a peaceful and prosperous place where people both above ground and below lived together in harmony by the blessing of the great mountain. In the present, it has become an unfortunately dangerous and unforgiving place full of desolation and chaos.
It is the second location on the Surface that Link visits on his quest to find Zelda. When Link arrives, he learns from the local Mogmas that Bokoblins have begun to appear all over Eldin Volcano, setting up camps and scaring off the Mogmas from the area. According to Fi, 65% of the volcano is covered by lava, and a large number of creatures manage to thrive in the extreme heat. Eldin Volcano contains many steep hills that Link must climb while dodging boulders thrown by the Bokoblins, caves, and an underground section, besides a small number of scattered Mogma and Bokoblin villages.
Later, Link ventures back to the Eldin Volcano to complete Din's Silent Realm Trial. After completing the trial, the way to the Volcano Summit is unlocked. Link finds Gorko there who explains that pillars of flames are blocking the path to the Fire Sanctuary and that using an Empty Bottle to deliver Water to the tongue of a nearby frog statue may open the way. However, one frog statue requires much more water than the other statues. So Link goes to Lake Floria to Faron the Water Dragon to receive the Water Basin to extinguish the pillar of flames blocking the entrance to the sanctuary. Link has to protect the Ancient Robot, Scrapper, who is carrying the Basin, from any enemies along the way. These mostly consist of Bokoblins and Moblins. Once they reach the Sanctuary, the entrance to the dungeon opens.
Link visits the volcano for the third time to locate and learn a part of the Song of the Hero from Eldin, the Fire Dragon, but the Volcano erupts and Link is captured by Bokoblins who have taken advantage of the eruption and annex the entire volcano, jailing him, and stealing his weapons and all of his items. Due to this, Link has to infiltrate through the camp and retrieve one by one several of his items. A fellow Mogma gives him the Mogma Mitts when he is imprisoned, which helps him to escape. In the following order, the Gust Bellows, the Clawshots, the Whip, the Slingshot and the Bombs are retrieved. On arriving at the Volcano Summit, Link locates the Master Sword, and reunites with Fi. The rest of the gear is inside the Adventure Pouch, which is taken back inside the Volcano Summit. After meeting the Fire Dragon and learning the Song of the Hero the volcano finally calms down, and the Bokoblins disappear from the area.
Features and Overview
Eldin Volcano is an active volcano that consists of lava and magma. It is an area so hot that entering its summit without the protection of the Fireshield Earrings will result in Link taking damage. Prominent throughout the mountainous area are ancient ruins resembling the architecture of the Earth Temple and the Fire Sanctuary located nearby. Bomb Flowers are an essential key item to exploration of the volcano and can be found blooming throughout the area, helping to destroy pathways and caves blocked by large rocks.
The treasure-hunting Mogma race can be found scattered about the volcano, giving information on the volcano's hidden treasures, which include green, blue and red Rupees, the rarer silver and gold Rupees, as well as frequent Amber Relics and Eldin Ore. The Mogma Mitts are also gained here after helping a Mogma clear out a group of red Bokoblins while exploring the volcano, which can be used to dig up mounds of dirt where Eldin Ore and Rupees can be commonly found.
There is one mini-game, Thrill Digger, that involves the use of the Mogma Mitts and is run by a Mogma named Tubert. It involves digging up holes for Rupees to earn more from the game than spent on it. If Link digs up a bomb, he loses.
In some Norwegian dialects and Swedish, Eld means fire, which is convenient for the volcano's theme.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||オルディン火山 (Orudin Kazan)||Oldin Volcano|
|FrenchEU||Volcan d'Ordinn||Ordinn Volcano|
|SpanishLA||Volcán de Eldin||Eldin Volcano|
- "Eldin Volcano" (Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 18)
- "Yes... This mountain was not always such a dangerous and unforgiving place. There was a time when those above-ground and those below lived together in harmony by the blessing of the great mountain. The desolation that you see now is all that remains to remind us of those glorious days...." — Eldin (Skyward Sword)
- "Gyaah! Sneak attack! Wait... You ain't one of those red guys. Don't creep up on me like that! Almost had to tackle ya there. Didn't mean to yell at ya, but those red jerks moved in and have been stinking up our turf, ya know. They came up through that hole back there, so I sunk the road leading to it in lava. That'll stop more of 'em from moving in, I'd say. Of course we can tunnel underneath it, so it's no sweat for us. Pretty clever, right? So stay away from the plug that's holding back the lava. It'll do more than singe your brows off. Bye now!" — Mogma (Skyward Sword)
- "Grr... Those creeps just shimmied on in and took over our territory. Yeow! What're you doing? Don't be sneakin' up on me like that! Huh? You're looking for your friend? Can't help you there. Nobody's come through here, so... Maybe they went up the mountain from over thataway. Ahh... Wish someone would chase these clowns outta here." — Mogma (Skyward Sword)
- "Just curious, but...what do ya think those red guys eat, anyway?." — Mogma (Skyward Sword)
- "You got your Mogma Mitts back! Use them to plan an escape that even a Mogma would be proud of." — N/A (Skyward Sword)
- "You got your Gust Bellows back! The power to blast a powerful gust of air at anything you choose is yours once again!" — N/A (Skyward Sword)
- "You got your Clawshots back! Now you can reach faraway spots again." — N/A (Skyward Sword)
- "You got your Whip back! Look around to see if there's something in the area you can grab with it." — N/A (Skyward Sword)
- "You got your Slingshot back! Use it to stun enemies on patrol." — N/A (Skyward Sword)
- "You got your Bomb Bag back! Time to make something explode." — N/A (Skyward Sword)
- "You got the True Master Sword back! Now you can cut right through your troubles like before! You can also talk to Fi again." — N/A (Skyward Sword)
- "You got your Adventure Pouch back! And look! The rest of your items are here, too!" — N/A (Skyward Sword)
- "Bomb flowers. You're joking, right?? Those are them growing right over there.You pick one with, and the fuse lights. A few seconds later...BOOM! You don't wanna stop and sniff this flower. Dangerous plants, believe me. But once you learn to use them, they're a powerful weapon. Us Mogmas are crazy about 'em! You can toss and roll them the same way you do jars. See what you can do with those bomb flowers over there." — Mogma (Skyward Sword)
- "You're looking pretty chipper, pal. You come back to do some treasure hunting? You may already know this, but Eldin Volcano is riddled with hidden caves. You can find 'em by checking around for thin, cracked walls. You can find all kinds of things in these caves. It's mostly Rupees, sure, but ya never know. If you get the itch for loot, you should try some cave hunting." — Mogma (Skyward Sword)
- "Us Mogmas have claimed this territory to search around for riches. We're what you'd call treasure hunters. There are loads of these red, blue, and green stones called Rupees around here. Sometimes you can even find silver and gold ones too. And while they ain't technically treasure, you can also find these tough mineral chunks. I bet you could use'em to make stuff. Since you're here and all, you might as well look around, right?" — Mogma (Skyward Sword)
- "Whoa... You took out every last one of 'em..." — Mogma (Skyward Sword)
- "You're one tough customer! Thanks for all your help! I don't blame you for not knowing this, but us Mogmas always honor our debts. Let me give you something to prove it. Any special requests? Oh, right. You're trying to find your friend, arent'tcha? In that case, take these things! They're something pretty special, if I say so myself." — Mogma (Skyward Sword)
- "Hello there! Thanks for stopping by. First time here, am I right? The name's Tubert. Nice to meet you! I run this little game I like to call Thrill Digger! Do you like money? How about explosions? Well, dig up some Rupees before you hit a bomb in a suspenseful game of Thrill Digger! Want to try it?" — Tubert (Skyward Sword)