Eastern Palace (A Link to the Past)
|Game(s)||A Link to the Past|
|Other media||A Link to the Past (Ishinomori)|
|Quest Reward(s)||Pendant of Courage|
The Eastern Palace, also known as the East Palace, is the second dungeon in A Link to the Past. Link enters the palace as part of Sahasrahla's test to see if he can overcome it and obtain the Pendant of Courage.
Entrance to the Palace
The Eastern Palace is found in the eastern side of Hyrule, inside a rocky canyon.
The dungeon's puzzles and obstacles are not too complex, but can appear daunting at first. The first major obstacle in particular involves huge rolling Balls sent down a main corridor, with some of them being bigger than others; Link must walk very carefully and get out of the way when a ball is approaching. This trap appears in a slightly different form deeper inside the dungeon, with balls appearing from all sides of the room. Eyegore, originally known here as Rocklops make their first appearance and provide a stiff challenge for an inexperienced player. The main treasure item is the Bow, which is located near the center of the dungeon in a large room filled with Stalfos, and Link will need it to defeat the Red Rocklops to reach the Dungeon Master. At the end of the dungeon, Link must fight six Armos Knights for the Pendant of Courage and a Heart Container.
Upon besting the palace, Sahasrahla will explain more about the Master Sword and the Knights of Hyrule, and will encourage Link to find the remaining pendants so that the Blade of the Evil's Bane can be claimed (the pendants' locations will be marked on the map as well). He also gives Link the Pegasus Boots.
Minor Enemies and Traps
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||東の神殿 (Higashi no Shinden)||East Temple|
|FrenchEU||Temple de l'Est||East Temple|
|Italian||Palazzo dell'Est||Eastern Palace|
|SpanishEU||Templo del Este||Eastern Temple|
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 146
- "Good. As a test, can you retrieve the Pendant Of Courage from the East Palace?" — Sahasrahla (A Link to the Past & Four Swords)
- "Yes... I am INDEED Sahasrahla! But you... You are just a BOY... I cannot believe a youngster like you is looking for the Master Sword! Not just anyone can use that mighty blade!" (A Link to the Past comic (Nintendo Power), pg. 12, 13)
- "The symbols are the legendary Pendants of Virtue. I can help you with the Pendant of Courage...but finding the remaining two pendants is not a quest to be taken lightly... Do you really believe you can accomplish this task, young man?" (A Link to the Past comic (Nintendo Power), pg. 13)
- "Of course! Besides, I promised Zelda! And...I have to bring Agahnim to justice for what he did to my uncle!" (A Link to the Past comic (Nintendo Power), pg. 13, 14)
- "So, THIS is the power of the pendant... Excellent! I will rise to the challenge of the pendants, and with their power, I will destroy you, Agahnim!!" (A Link to the Past comic (Nintendo Power), pg. 16)