We are currently performing an upgrade to our software. This upgrade will bring MediaWiki from version 1.31 to 1.33. While the upgrade is being performed on your wiki it will be in read-only mode. For more information check here.
Eagus is an instructor who runs the Sparring Hall near the Knight Academy on Skyloft. After Link learns that Groose, Cawlin and Strich have kidnapped his Crimson Loftwing, Eagus allows Link to train with the Practice Sword. During this training session, Eagus covers the control basics for Link, such as how to swing his sword, how to thrust, how to execute a Spin Attack, and how to target an enemy. After teaching Link the controls, he recommends that the young hero practices using sword techniques on the various logs placed throughout the room. Once Link has destroyed all but one of the logs in the room, Eagus will ask him to perform a Spin Attack. If Link accepts, he is moved to the center of the room and Eagus surrounds him with logs. If Link fails to properly execute the Spin Attack, Eagus will voice his concern, but if Link succeeds, Eagus congratulates him and teaches Link the Fatal Blow as the final maneuver, instructing the young hero to strike a log once it has been knocked over.
If Link attempts to leave the Sparring Hall with the Practice Sword, Eagus will scold him; however, Eagus makes an exception upon hearing that the young hero's Loftwing is missing and allows him to carry the Sword outside on the condition that Link uses it sparingly.
After Zelda falls beneath the Cloud Barrier, Eagus will remark that Link's Sword is an ancient artifact only to be wielded by a chosen hero. He also offers to teach Link the "secrets of defense," but if Link does not already have a Shield at this point, Eagus will tell him to come back with one. In doing so, Eagus teaches Link how to ready and lower his Shield, as well as instructing the young hero of the dangers of having his Shield lowered. Eagus also teaches Link how to use a Shield Bash, and recommends that the young hero practices this technique on the log near the entrance of the Sparring Hall.
After Link breaks the chandelier at the Lumpy Pumpkin, Pumm tasks Link with multiple jobs to cover the cost of its replacement. One of these tasks is delivering a Bottle of Pumpkin Soup to Eagus, which is his favorite food. However, Link must do so in under five minutes, or the Pumpkin Soup will cool. Eagus implies that his temper worsens when he does not start his day with a Bottle of Pumpkin Soup, and becomes angry at Link if he fails to deliver it, or gives it to him when it is cold. However, he thanks Link if he properly delivers the hot Pumpkin Soup. Later, if Link brings Eagus more Pumpkin Soup, he will be rewarded with a Red Rupee.
- In the opening cinematic, Eagus can be seen flying a different Loftwing, which seems to be a lower polygon version. An even cruder red version that is not seen in the game can be found in the game's files, which was likely left in by mistake.
- The Sailcloth that Eagus wears bears the symbol of a sword on it, fitting his vocation.
Eagus is named after the eagle, a type of bird.
|Names in Other Regions|
Concept art of Eagus from Hyrule Historia
- "His name is Eagus, the direct and sincere Knight Commander. He takes great pride in teaching his knights swordsmanship and battle readiness." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 25
- "Hey! It's Link! So you still want to get in some sword practice, even though today is the Wing Ceremony? I'm impressed. The sword is in the back room. Go on back there and get it. I'll be here for a while, so if there's anything you don't understand about handling a sword, go ahead and ask." — Eagus (Skyward Sword)
- "Try getting in some good practice on those logs! If the sword doesn't respond quite the way you want it to, try some big vertical overhead practice swings in front of you, then get back to the action. Once you've sliced up those logs, I'll set it up so you can try out your big move." — Eagus (Skyward Sword)
- "That's right, Link! You really are a strong swordsman. Easy to teach, too. You make this instructor proud! Are you ready to try a spin attack?" — Eagus (Skyward Sword)
- "Great! Now I'm going to surround you with logs. You need to cut them all without moving from that spot! All you have to do is wave the Wii Remote and Nunchuk horizontally at the same time. Give it a shot!" — Eagus (Skyward Sword)
- "What's the matter, Link? You don't seem your usual self. Stand in the center of a pack of enemies and wave the Wii Remote and Nunchuk horizontally at the same time. That's how you do a real spin attack. Do you want to try again?" — Eagus (Skyward Sword)
- "That sure looked like it felt good! So... Why don't you try a fatal blow to close out our session?" — Eagus (Skyward Sword)
- "Hey! Link! You can't take swords outside of the Sparring Hall. What do you think you're doing, sneaking out with that?!" — Eagus (Skyward Sword)
- "What? Your Loftwing is missing? You want to go look for it? Well I guess I could make an exception just this once. But remember that Skyloft is a peaceful place. Only knights carry swords! So I don't want to see you swinging it around like crazy out there! I don't want to get in a ton of trouble over this, so here's the deal... Make sure you get plenty of practice on these logs first, and once you get outside with that sword, only use it when you absolutely have to, got it?" — Eagus (Skyward Sword)
- "Link... The headmaster told me about Zelda. Poor girl... I'm worried about her... Now, I don't know all the details of what's going on here... But that sword you're carrying isn't from Skyloft. It's an ancient artifact that can only be carried by the chosen one. And since you happen to be the one carrying it, I guess I can figure out a lot of the rest of this crazy story..." — Eagus (Skyward Sword)
- "You know, Link, I just wish there was more I could do for you... But I can offer this as a parting gift... Get ready to learn some new moves! It's time to learn the secrets of defense. First, we should start with the basics!" — Eagus (Skyward Sword)
- "I wish there was something else I could do for you, Link... Wait, maybe there is... Yes! Get a shield and come back here! Then I'll be able to teach you the secrets of defense! It's the least I can do for you." — Eagus (Skyward Sword)
- "In a real battle, pulling off a defensive shield maneuver requires perfect timing. Believe me, you really don't want to miss. Why don't you put what you learned to use with that defense-practice log?" — Eagus (Skyward Sword)
- "The Knight Commander is a regular here. He says he can't get his day started without a bowl of my soup!" — Pumm (Skyward Sword)
- "I know that earthy aroma! Isn't that my favorite pumpkin soup?!" — Eagus (Skyward Sword)
- "Huh... I told Pumm to bring some right away, so what is he doing? You do not want to be around me when I don't get my daily pumpkin soup." — Eagus (Skyward Sword)
- "What?! Weren't you asked to bring this to me? You think you can tease me like this? You DO NOT tease a man about pumpkin soup! If this soup isn't good anymore, you're going to have to go get me some more! And make sure it's hot this time!" — Eagus (Skyward Sword)
- "Ugh! This is disgusting... It's cold! If there are two things I can't stand in this world it's cold soup and slackers. Now bring me another one--and make it hot!" — Eagus (Skyward Sword)
- "Mmm! This is the stuff! Pumpkin soup is best piping hot! Well done! Say thanks to the owner for me! Sooo good!" — Eagus (Skyward Sword)
- "Hey...did you happen to bring more piping-hot pumpkin soup?! It looks sooo good... [...] Oh! For me?! I mean, sorry for just assuming it was for me... Well, in that case, I'll help myself! [...] Yeah! That hits the spot! I tell you, morning, noon, or night, nothing satisfies like Pumm's pumpkin soup! Thank you, Link! Here's a little token my appreciation." — Eagus (Skyward Sword)