Dragon Roost Cavern
|Dragon Roost Cavern|
|Location(s)||Dragon Roost Island|
|Game(s)||The Wind Waker|
|Main Item||Grappling Hook|
Treasure Chart ×2
|Quest Reward(s)||Din's Pearl|
Dragon Roost Cavern is the second dungeon Link visits in The Wind Waker. Located on Dragon Roost Island, it is a volcanic cavern that is traversed regularly by members of the Rito tribe in order to meet with the Sky Spirit Valoo and obtain one of his scales, which allow them to grow their wings once they are of age.
Entrance to the Cavern
Link first learns of the cavern from Medli, a Rito and Valoo's attendant. In light of the dragon's recent outbursts, she requests Link's help in reaching the dungeon's entrance on a high ledge, so that she can journey to the peak in order to appease him. After tossing her up to the ledge, the hero must use the bottle she gives him to revitalize a cluster of withered Bomb Flowers in the area. These can then be used to destroy the boulder plugging the spring, filling the pond and allowing Link to swim across to the entrance.
The dungeon is reminiscent of Dodongo's Cavern from Ocarina of Time, in that Link must use Bomb Flowers to clear away boulders and clear a path. The lighting of Torches is required in certain rooms, as is the use of enemy weapons to smash or burn through wooden barricades. At some points, Link is required to use Water Pots to cool and solidify lava, allowing him to safely pass over it or ride volcanic geysers and reach higher floors. Brief portions of the dungeon are also set outside, where great care must be taken to avoid falling down from the cliffs in the mountainside.
The main item of the dungeon, the Grappling Hook, is obtained from Medli after defeating two Bokoblins and a Moblin at the mountain's peak, where Valoo roosts. After using this item to obtain the Big Key, Link encounters the boss of the dungeon, Gohma, in the chamber beneath Valoo; it was this creature that had been agitating the Sky Spirit by attacking his tail, leaving the Rito unable to approach him. Defeating Gohma calms Valoo and helps restore the confidence of the Rito Prince Komali, who bequeaths Din's Pearl to Link in gratitude before departing to receive his own scale from the dragon.
Minor Enemies and Traps
- Portions of Dodongo's Cavern and Death Mountain Crater's theme were remixed as the music for Dragon Roost Cavern.
- At the entrance of Dragon Roost Cavern there is a mural on the wall of two green dragons that look like Volvagia.
- Along the wall of the volcano crater is a statue-like structure that resembles the giant Dodongo skull found in Dodongo's Cavern.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||竜の山のほこら (Ryū no Yama no Hokora)||Dragon Mountain Shrine|
|FrenchEU||Caverne du Dragon||Dragon's Cave|
|Italian||Caverna del Drago||Dragon's Cave|
|Korean||용의 산 제단 (Yong-ui San Jedan)||Dragon's Mountain Shrine|
|SpanishLA||Cueva del Dragón||Dragon's Cave|
- "I want to go to the small shrine that's near the peak of Dragon Roost, but that ledge over there is so high..." — Medli (The Wind Waker)
- "I have to tell you what I found out! This is terrible!...Some creature is doing awful things to the great Valoo's tail! That's why he's so angry! The great Valoo's tail hangs down into the room right below here." — Medli (The Wind Waker)