We are currently performing an upgrade to our software. This upgrade will bring MediaWiki from version 1.31 to 1.33. While the upgrade is being performed on your wiki it will be in read-only mode. For more information check here.
Absentminded Scholar (TMC)
Oracle of Seasons
Dr. Left first appears as a Cucco-studying biologist living in a southeastern residence of Horon Village in Oracle of Seasons. In return for lighting his torch with Ember Seeds, he rewards Link with a Cuccodex, the first item in the Trading Quest. Whenever Link speaks with him afterwards, the doctor will feed him seemingly random facts about characters or monsters found throughout Holodrum. All his tidbits of knowledge begin with the characteristic phrase, "My books tell me..."
The Minish Cap
Dr. Left later appears in The Minish Cap. Instead of researching Cuccos, he instead seems more interested in learning about the mysterious Picori race (better known as the "Minish"). He is the owner of the overdue Library Books, "Legend of the Picori", which Link must locate within Dr. Left's home and return to the library. Before Link has to find the overdue library book, Dr. Left will not allow him into his house, as he is absorbed in his incessant study of the Minish race. Ironically, Dr. Left is oblivious to the Minish living within his own home. On occasion, Dr. Left will part with some seemingly valuable and exclusive information on the Minish, gleaned from hours of study. This knowledge is laughingly inferior to what is already known by Link, due to his regular encounters with the Minish race on his adventures.
|Dr. Left (Figurine from The Minish Cap)|
|A gruff-talking academic type who is obsessed with studying the Picori. He doesn't seem to be aware that they are actually living in his own house.|
- The name "Dr. Left" is a pun on a nearly-identical character who appeared in a previous game, Mr. Write. Of course, the pun on the words write being pronounced as right, and right and left being opposites.
- In Oracle of Ages, Dr. Troy plays a similar role to that of Dr. Left; he will offer Link information about various characters and monsters throughout Labrynna. Dr. Troy speaks of the very same monsters as Dr. Left, with the exception of Golden Monsters, which do not appear in Oracle of Ages.
- Unlike almost all other humans in The Minish Cap, he refers to the Minish as "Minish" rather than "Picori". This is likely to demonstrate his knowledge of them compared to other humans.
- The game Super Smash Bros. Brawl states that Dr. Left is a mock-up of Sim City's Dr. Wright, not only due to the obvious link in last name, but also an uncanny likeness in hairstyle and color.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||レフト教授 (Refuto Kyōju)||Professor Left|
Dr. Left gives Link the Cuccodex in Oracle of Seasons
- "It was checked out by a somewhat absentminded scholar, I believe..." — Maggie (The Minish Cap)
- "A gruff-talking academic type who is obsessed with studying the Picori. He doesn't seem to be aware that they are actually living in his own house." — Figurine (The Minish Cap)
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 250 (OoS) & 270 (TMC)
- "Hmm... The light in here is too dim to read by. Can anyone light my fire? [...] Splendid! I can finally focus! Here! Take this Cuccodex!" — Dr. Left (Oracle of Seasons)
- "I am a researcher of Picori legend and lore. My name is Dr. Left." — Dr. Left (The Minish Cap)
- "The next overdue book is... Let's see... Ah, yes! Of course...Legend of the Picori! It's been out forever! It was checked out by a somewhat absentminded scholar, I believe..." — Maggie (The Minish Cap)
- "What is all of this!? I'm busy, don't you see that? Do not disturb my research! If you have no business, begone! You heard me!" — Dr. Left (The Minish Cap)
- "The more I study the Minish, the closer I feel to them! It's almost as if they were right here with me, all the time..." — Dr. Left (The Minish Cap)
- "You found and returned the book for me, did you? I'm very grateful. Here, let me tell you something interesting as thanks. You see, the Minish did not always live in our world. No, they came through a secret portal many ages ago from their world to ours! But don't tell anyone! It's a valuable bit of knowledge that only I know! And I gleaned it only after hours of study from an incredibly old book." — Dr. Left (The Minish Cap)