The Down Thrust, also known as the Downward Thrust, is a recurring ability in the The Legend of Zelda series, first appearing in The Adventure of Link. It is performed by Link by jumping into the air, positioning his Sword underneath him pointing downwards, and landing on enemies sword-first to stab them from above.
The Adventure of Link
In The Adventure of Link, the Downward Thrust is taught to Link by a Hyrulean Knight living in the Harbor Town of Mido. However, since the main door is locked from the inside, Link must use the Jump Spell to reach the second story of the house and thus enter through its open door. The knight at the end of the basement will on Link's new skill upon talking to him. This technique proves to be useful when fighting enemies such as Daira, Fokka, Moas, or enemies that are too small to attack normally, such as Myu. When used with the Power Glove, the Downward Thrust allows Link to crush rocks inside the many Temples of Hyrule.
Four Swords Adventures
In Four Swords Adventures, while the Links are jumping with the Roc's Feather or falling from ledges, they can perform this technique by pressing down on the Control Stick and the attack button at the same time. Upon landing, the attack will send out shockwaves, although they will not cause any damage to the enemies nearby. Like in The Adventure of Link, the Down Thrust can be used to break Rocks.
The Minish Cap
Breath of the Wild
In Breath of the Wild, Link can perform the Down Thrust while using the Paraglider. When Link lands on the ground, he will send out a shockwave that will damage nearby enemies and knock them of their feet, disarming them. If Link lands on an enemy first, he will damage and disarm them before landing on the ground and creating the shockwave.
- The Ending Blow taught by the Ancient Hero in Twilight Princess works similarly to the Down Thrust, but is only used on enemies that are knocked down.
- In A Link to the Past, Link performs a similar move when using the Quake Medallion.
|Names in Other Regions|
|FrenchEU||Attaque Plongeante (TMC)||Plunging attack|
|Italian||Attacco in Volo (TMC)||Flyby Attack|
|SpanishEU||Estocada Inferior (TMC)||Down Thrust|
|SpanishLA||Tajo hacia abajo (TAoL)|
- "Those thorny little horn monsters! Your sword doesn't hurt 'em at all! But if you bump 'em with your shield up, they'll totally flip! There are other ways, though. Flip 'em with a bomb! Or your Cane of Pacci! Or with a well-placed Down Thrust!" — Swordsman Newsletter #4 (The Minish Cap)
- Art & Artifacts (Dark Horse Books), pg. 386
- "WHEN YOU JUMP PRESS DOWNWARD TO STAB." — Hylian Knight (The Adventure of Link)