We are currently performing an upgrade to our software. This upgrade will bring MediaWiki from version 1.31 to 1.33. While the upgrade is being performed on your wiki it will be in read-only mode. For more information check here.
The episode's title card
|Original airdate||October 20, 1989|
|Country of origin||United States|
Doppelganger is the seventh episode of The Legend of Zelda TV series. It first aired in the United States and Canada on October 20, 1989.
- See also: Episode transcript
A Moblin tries to steal the Triforce of Wisdom, but Link easily defeats it with his sword and sends it back to the Evil Jar, with it dropping a Force Field Ring that Link picks up. Ganon, tired of always failing, decides to use a new magic spell which plants a Mirror in Princess Zelda's room. Later on, when Zelda is brushing her hair in front of the Mirror, nightlight strikes it and copies her reflection in an evil clone of her. The clone orders the Moblins that accompany her to tie her up and take her into the Underworld via the Mirror. Link, hearing Zelda's screams, rushes up to her room and defeats several of the Moblins, but one of the foes accidentally throws a vase at the Mirror, breaking it and impeding Zelda's clone from taking the Triforce of Wisdom to Ganon via the Mirror. After Link zaps all of the Moblins, the clone kisses him unexpectedly and tells the young hero that they, along with the Triforce, are going to attack Ganon. However, as the duo are making their way to an Underworld entrance, Link realizes the truth about the evil clone as she has no reflection but decides to follow her anyway to rescue the real Zelda.
In the Underworld, Ganon leaves Zelda unattended as he summons monsters to welcome Link, and the princess uses this time to break herself free from the ropes tying her by using a boomerang. Meanwhile, Link is now also in the Underworld following Zelda's clone when suddenly Moblins and Stalfos attack them. The young hero easily disposes of them, and when the clone rewards Link with a kiss, the real Zelda appears. The evil clone takes the Triforce of Wisdom and runs to deliver it to Ganon, with the princess and Link in pursuit. Eventually, they catch up to the clone, but not before defeating three Octoroks while using the Force Field Ring that Link found earlier. During the struggle, Princess Zelda and her clone fall into muddy water, which makes both their clothes the same color and leaving Link unable to tell who is the real Zelda. The young hero decides to determine who the real one is by a "kissing content," and when one Zelda slaps him and refuses to kiss him, he knows that she is the real one because the evil clone had willingly kissed him several times before. Quickly, Zelda picks up Link's sword and zaps her clone, but before they can escape, Ganon appears. Link fires a sword beam towards Ganon but it hits the ceiling, causing rocks to collapse on top of the evil wizard and falling into the mud. Taking this opportunity, the duo exit to the surface using the Triforce's power.
- Link whistles the Super Mario Bros. theme song at the beginning of the episode.
- When Link and the evil clone are carrying the Triforce of Wisdom inside Ganon's castle, after the evil clone kisses Link, his mouth moves when she is speaking.
- In one scene, Zelda's outfit is miscolored and she appears to be the evil clone.
- "Huh, left a souvenir. A force field ring! Just what I always wanted for Christmas." — Link (The Legend of Zelda TV Series, Episode 7 )
- "That dreaded Link is seriously starting to annoy me. But he does have a weakness. He'll do anything for Zelda! I do believe it's time to try this special bit of magic I've been saving. Off to the chambers of Princess Zelda you go! And maybe a bad reflection on her..." — Ganon (The Legend of Zelda TV Series, Episode 7 )
- "Get her out of here." — Zelda Clone (The Legend of Zelda TV Series, Episode 7 )
- "Drat. I'll need to find another way to get the Triforce back to Ganon. And I think I know just the way..." — Zelda Clone (The Legend of Zelda TV Series, Episode 7 )
- "Hm, good. Because you, me and the Triforce are going to go uh...um...attack Ganon. Right now!" — Zelda Clone (The Legend of Zelda TV Series, Episode 7 )
- "She doesn't have a reflection... I knew that smooch was too good to be true. That's NOT Zelda...! So, you're not really Zelda, eh? That means she's been captured, and this is all a trick. [...] Sure, I'll follow you...right to Zelda! Actually, this could be fun!" — Link (The Legend of Zelda TV Series, Episode 7 )
- "I must choose some of my pets to welcome him." — Ganon (The Legend of Zelda TV Series, Episode 7 )
- "We'll see about that. Good thing I kept this." — Princess Zelda (The Legend of Zelda TV Series, Episode 7 )
- "Oh, boy, here we go. Time for me to deliver this to Ganon." — Zelda Clone (The Legend of Zelda TV Series, Episode 7 )
- "Uh-oh, Octoroks! Time for a force field. Hang on, princess!" — Link (The Legend of Zelda TV Series, Episode 7 )
- "I'm afraid there's only one way to tell you two apart. A kissing contest!" — Link (The Legend of Zelda TV Series, Episode 7 )
- "Ow! That's my Zelda alright." — Link (The Legend of Zelda TV Series, Episode 7 )
- "Here's your sword. Now let's get out of here before--" — Princess Zelda (The Legend of Zelda TV Series, Episode 7 )
- "Before I show up? Prepare to meet your doom you pitiful creatures!" — Ganon (The Legend of Zelda TV Series, Episode 7 )
- "There's our exit. Quick, grab the Triforce!" — Zelda (The Legend of Zelda TV Series, Episode 7 )