|Use(s)||Fulfills the role of two Links in a single-player game|
Doppels are animate dolls that appear in Tri Force Heroes. They are used to fulfill the role of the other two Links in a single-player game. Doppels can be switched between by tapping the Doppel Panel on the bottom screen.
Doppels are wooden dolls that resemble the Links, but differ in that they appear to wear masks that resemble the Spooky Mask. Doppels act as vessels for a hero's soul, allowing Link to vacate his body and enter their's. They are used to accompany Link to the Drablands in a single-player game, wherein two Doppels are provided in place of the Links in multiplayer modes. The Doppels are kept in the Hall of the Doppels in Hytopia Castle, a room separate from the multiplayer communications lobby. The Doppel Master keeps watch of the hall. As three heroes are required to activate the Triforce Gateway to enter the Drablands, Link must use these dolls to venture into the Drablands during single-player mode. Whenever Link wishes to venture into the Drablands, the Doppel Master will awaken the Doppels and bind them to his will.
Only one Doppel can be possessed by Link at a time. When in a Totem formation, the top Doppel can be commanded to use an item by the Link at the bottom. Doppels cannot normally be damaged by external influences unless they are presently being possessed by Link. However, if a Doppel is thrown into a pit, Link will lose a Heart. Doppels cannot be dressed in any Outfits, and default to the Hero Tunic. As the Doppels are commanded by one being, Link and the Doppels also share the same Energy Gauge despite it normally being separate during multiplayer. Doppels in the Hall of the Doppels cannot exit the lobby, unless the current Doppel is the green-garbed one.
During single-player while using the Doppels, the option to skip a Level's Stage is given. This will use up one of the three Fairies Link is provided with, which will bypass all obstacles and transport Link and the Doppels to the next Stage. Doing this has consequences, however, as skipping Stages will empty all of the Rupees Link has collected thus far. It will also decrease his bonus Rupees at the end of the Level, and a Material chest will be replaced by 20 Rupees for every Fairy used. Also, Levels that are cleared but have had Stages skipped will not be marked as completed on the Drablands Challenge Completion List in the castle lobbies.
- In Hytopia, there is a broken, forgotten Doppel resembling Link in the north-east corner of town.
Doppel is likely derived from Doppelgänger, a look-alike or a double of a living person.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||まねビト (Manebito)||Literally "copy person". Can be read as copycat|
The "broken, forgotten" Doppel in Hytopia
- "You can also play the game solo, using two doll-like Doppels to fill in for the other Links. You'll control each hero at a time to go through dungeons." — North American Tri Force Heroes site, , retrieved October 11, 2015.
- "Your player name will be displayed on the panel corresponding to the character you are in control of. Tap a Doppel Panel to switch to that Doppel." — Manual (Tri Force Heroes)
- "Do you see those wooden dolls? Those are no ordinary wooden dolls. They are Doppels. Those sacred dolls serve as a vessel for a hero's soul. This allows you to vacate your body and take over theirs." — Doppel Master (Tri Force Heroes)
- "This is the Hall of the Doppels... It is a place beyond the constraints of the known world. A sacred place for heroes to train in solitude." — Doppel Master (Tri Force Heroes)
- "This is a Triforce gateway. Using its power is the only way to travel to the Drablands. Only when three heroes gather will the Triforce's power awaken and allow for travel between the worlds. The way will not open for one hero alone." — Match Master (Tri Force Heroes)
- "To depart for the Drablands in the company of Doppels, speak with me and I will bind them to your will." — Doppel Master (Tri Force Heroes)
- "Doppels cannot move on their own, but they cannot be damaged by enemies either. Your hearts will decrease, however, if they fall into a pit." — Manual (Tri Force Heroes)
- "You cannot exit the lobby as a Doppel. Switch to the green-garbed hero if you want to leave." — Manual (Tri Force Heroes)
- "There is a broken, forgotten doll. Hmm... It kinda looks like YOU! You gently wipe away the dust." — N/A (Tri Force Heroes)