DethI consists of a large pulsating mass with a single, usually closed eye from which two dark, shadowy arms with huge spiked tips extend outwards. Using the Roc's Feather, Link can jump over the arms to avoid being hurt once they begin to swing and avoid the movement of the central body. Occasionally, the eye will open during the battle, upon which Link must strike it using the Bow or the Boomerang. After depleting half of its health, the swinging arms speed up and start moving in an erratic pattern, with one arm moving faster than the other. 16 (10 in the Nintendo Switch version) direct shots in the eye with the Bow or a single one with the Boomerang will defeat it. Once it is defeated, the Wind Fish will awaken.
- DethI resembles Vaati's final form in Four Swords and The Minish Cap, and may have been an inspiration for its design.
- In versions prior to Link's Awakening for Nintendo Switch, DethI's musical theme was the same as the other Sub-Bosses. This was changed in Link's Awakening for Nintendo Switch, where it was given its own musical theme.
- DethI was also referred to as Death Eye in The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening — Nintendo Player's Guide by Nintendo of America Inc.. However, because it contradicts the name given in Encyclopedia, this term is not considered Canon.
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 202
- The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening — Nintendo Player's Guide (Nintendo Co., Ltd.) pg. 112