Desert of Mystery
|Desert of Mystery|
Features and Overview
A Link to the Past
The Desert of Mystery is a wide open area filled with cactus. It is the location of the second dungeon in the game, the Desert Palace, which contains the Pendant of Wisdom. The only other features are a few cliffs and caves, one which is the home of Aginah.
On a cliff only reachable with the Flute, there is a Portal to the Dark World hidden under a rock. This is the only way to enter the Dark World equivalent of the Desert of Mystery, the Swamp of Evil. On another cliff is a tablet where Link can get the Bombos Medallion.
A Link Between Worlds
In A Link Between Worlds, the desert is sealed off during Link's search for the Pendants of Virtue, making him completely incapable to reach it. It is not until Link has access to Lorule that he can enter the desert via a fissure located in the Misery Mire. Traversing the desert requires the Sand Rod to raise platforms to walk across so that Link can access different fissures between the Misery Mire and the desert. The Desert Palace also appears in the area. However, its boss is fought in Lorule.
- According to The Great Hyrule Encyclopedia on the official Zelda website, the Haunted Wasteland become known as the Desert of Mystery.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||あやしの砂漠 (Ayashi no Sabaku)||Same as English.|
|FrenchEU||Désert du Mystère||Same as English.|
|Italian||Deserto Mistero||Mystery Desert|
- "I should warn you that traveling in the desert is no simple matter! The fierce winds and shifting sands have buried more able adventurers than you!" (A Link to the Past comic (Nintendo Power), pg. 7)
- "Hey, buddy! I just remembered! I have something that may help! Sahasrahla showed it to me! It's a bird that you can ride on!" (A Link to the Past comic (Nintendo Power), pg. 8)
- "The desert ruins! And this must be ancient Hylian script! The book, the script, the desert... it's just like in the legend!" (A Link to the Past comic (Nintendo Power), pg. 11)
- "Maybe I am the legendary hero after all! I suppose if I look it up in the book, the writing should make sense..." (A Link to the Past comic (Nintendo Power), pg. 11)
- "Hanging on that strange statue! It's the pendant!" (A Link to the Past comic (Nintendo Power), pg. 12)
- "This is hopeless! Its skin is like armor!" (A Link to the Past comic (Nintendo Power), pg. 15)
- "Nice move, ugly! But now you're playing with the Pendant of Power!" (A Link to the Past comic (Nintendo Power), pg. 16)
- "Known as the Haunted Wasteland when Link was a boy, this vast arid expanse in southeastern Hyrule has slowly become known more commonly as the Desert of Mystery." — The Great Hyrule Encyclopedia, Zelda.com (Archive).
|Locations in A Link to the Past|
|Locations in the Light World||Locations in the Dark World|
Click on a location
Click on a location