Desert of Doubt (Stage)
|Desert of Doubt|
Pegasus Boots are most extensively used
The Desert of Doubt is the first stage in the Four Swords Adventures level of the same name, before the Desert Temple and Pyramid. The Gerudo tribe can be found in a village near the beginning of this stage. The village is in a bit of an uproar after Ganondorf, guardian of the Gerudo and the desert, left for the Pyramid against local laws. It is revealed that Ganondorf left in pursuit of power, and the Gerudo blocked the road to the desert to prevent others from doing so. In order to pass into the desert, the Links must ask permission from the leader of the tribe, who allows them to enter because of the crisis in Hyrule.
The desert areas affected by sand storms send the Links back to the Gerudo village, should they take the incorrect path. A tablet found early in the stage offers the answer to the seemingly difficult maze. The only way to progress is to "oppose the winds" by taking paths the wind blows from.
The Zuna tribe can be found further into the desert. One of the Zuna members offers a Sand Rub for 100 Force Gems, which serves to heal the Links' health. Another Zuna runs a Treasure Chest Game where the Links can gamble for Force Gems.
The only item found in the Desert of Doubt level is the Pegasus Boots which need to be upgraded to fully cross the desert safely.
|Items Obtained in this Area|
Minor Enemies and Traps
- The motif on the ground at the entrance of the desert share similarities to the Nazca Lines. It is seemingly also a reference to the Octorok pattern at the entrance of the Desert of Mystery.
- If the Links take the wrong path, the laughter that accompanies their return to the start of the area sounds like the laugh of Ganondorf.
- The Japanese name for the Desert of Doubt (あやしの砂漠) is the same as the Japanese name for the Desert of Mystery in A Link to the Past.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||あやしの砂漠 (Ayashi no Sabaku)||Desert of Mystery/Suspicion|
|French||Désert du Doute||Desert of Doubt|
|German||Wüste der Irrungen||Desert of Errors|
|Italian||Deserto del Dubbio||Desert of Doubt|
|Spanish||Deserito de la Duda||Desert of Doubt|
- "Once every 100 years, a special child is born unto my people. That child is destined to be the mighty guardian of the Gerudo and the desert." — Gerudo (Four Swords Adventures)
- "The village is in a bit of an uproar contending with a man who broke our laws." — Gerudo (Four Swords Adventures)
- "Curse that Ganondorf! He broke our laws and left for the pyramid... I don't know what he plans, but I am worried..." — Gerudo (Four Swords Adventures)
- "Yes, this Ganondorf you speak of is a member of the Gerudo. But his intent is unknown to me. He has flouted the law and fled for the pyramid." — Gerudo Leader (Four Swords Adventures)
- "But this child, its heart grew twisted with every passing year. The child became a man who hungered for power at any price." — Gerudo (Four Swords Adventures)
- "None who enter the pyramid or the temple have ever returned. They are tombs. Yet the man has gone there by himself. All for the sake of his own mad desire!" — Gerudo (Four Swords Adventures)
- "We've blocked the road to the desert to keep other fools from coming." — Gerudo Leader (Four Swords Adventures)
- "But considering the crisis in Hyrule, we've no reason to stop you brave lads." — Gerudo Leader (Four Swords Adventures)
- "The road to the truth will open only for those who oppose the inconstant winds." — Tablet (Four Swords Adventures)
- "I'll give you a sand rub for 100 Force Gems! It's a special massage that's good for the heart!" — Zuna (Four Swords Adventures)