Deku Stick artwork from Ocarina of Time
|Comparable Item(s)||Boko Stick|
Location and Uses
Ocarina of Time
In Ocarina of Time, Deku Sticks can be acquired by cutting the stalks of Deku Babas. They can also be bought at some shops for 10 Rupees a stick or from Business Scrubs for 15 Rupees. Link can light a Deku Stick on fire by making it touch a lit torch. The stick eventually burns down, reducing Link's supply. To prevent it from burning out, Link can quickly put it away or swing his Sword. Deku Sticks can also be used as a weapon; however, they break after just one hit. Deku Sticks deal twice as much damage as the Kokiri Sword.
Link can increase the maximum number of Deku Sticks he can hold in his inventory up to 30. The first upgrade can be bought from a Business Scrub in the Lost Woods for 40 Rupees. The second one can be obtained in the Forest Stage by wearing the Skull Mask.
In Majora's Mask, Deku Sticks can be acquired by cutting the stalks of Deku Babas or bought from the Trading Post for 10 Rupees. They can be lit by touching a torch. When doing so inside Woodfall Temple, moths will follow Link, damaging him if touched. Deku Sticks can also be used as weapons, breaking upon impact. Link can only carry 10 Deku Sticks at a time.
- Deku Sticks sold in the Kokiri Shop are long branches gathered from the Great Deku Tree.
- If a Butterfly lands on the tip of a Deku Stick, it will transform into a Fairy.
- In Majora's Mask, Zubora derogatorily calls Gabora a "Deku Stick" when he suggests melting the ice of their hearth with Hot Spring Water. This is likely a reference to the item's Japanese name pun.
- Deku Sticks, alongside the Giant's Knife, are the first items in the series that will break or wear down after regular use. It is succeeded by the Razor Sword and items Link can obtain in Breath of the Wild.
- In Hyrule Warriors, Lana can use the Deku Spear weapon, which is similar to a Deku Stick.
The Japanese name for the Deku Stick, デクの棒 (Deku no Bou), derives from the Japanese idiom 木偶の坊 (Deku no Bou). Both phrases have the same pronunciation but with different spelling and meaning. 木偶の坊 means "the wooden puppet," which is a metaphor for an incompetent person.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||デクの棒 (Deku no Bou)||Deku Stick|
|ChineseSI||德库木棒 (Dékù Mùbàng)||Deku Stick|
|French||Bâton Mojo||Deku Stick|
|FrenchCA||Bâton mojo (MM3D)||Deku Stick|
|Italian||Ramo Deku (OoT3D, MM3D)||Deku Branch|
|SpanishLA||Palo deku (OoT3D, MM3D)||Deku Stick|
- "Deku Stick (1 piece) 10 Rupees" — Kokiri Shop (Ocarina of Time)
- "Deku Stick: 10 Rupees" — Trading Post (Majora's Mask)
- "All right! You win! In return, I will sell you Deku Sticks! 1 piece, 15 Rupees they are!" — Business Scrub (Ocarina of Time)
- "Deku Sticks are switches of wood primarily used as makeshift torches." (Ocarina of Time 3D Official Game Guide (Prima Games), pg. 21)
- "Deku Sticks can also be used as weapons." (Ocarina of Time 3D Official Game Guide (Prima Games), pg. 21)
- "Deku Baba-Hit it when it lunges at you, and it will stand upright. Cut it quickly to get a Deku Stick!" — Navi (Ocarina of Time)
- "When he has one in hand, Link just needs to wave it in front of a lit torch to ignite it." (Ocarina of Time 3D Official Game Guide (Prima Games), pg. 21)
- "The Deku Stick then remains lit for several seconds. It can burn out, though, which depletes Link's supply by one." (Ocarina of Time 3D Official Game Guide (Prima Games), pg. 21)
- "If put away before it goes out, Link saves the Deku Stick for later use." (Ocarina of Time 3D Official Game Guide (Prima Games), pg. 21)
- "You can use it as a weapon, but it will break." — Kokiri Shop Owner (Ocarina of Time)
- "You can now pick up even more Deku Sticks! You can carry up to 30 of them!" — N/A (Ocarina of Time)
- "I surrender! To make your quest easier, I can enable you to pick up more Deku Sticks! But, it'll cost you 40 Rupees!" — Business Scrub (Ocarina of Time)
- "All of the young Deku Scrub brothers agree...you look exactly like our sacred forest totem! As an offering from us, please accept these Deku Sticks. We will also enhance your carrying skills! Abracadabra! Alakazaaaam!" — Deku Scrub (Ocarina of Time)
- "Don't tell me you don't know about the Deku Baba! Cut it down when it has extended its body and Deku Nuts or Sticks will come out." — Tatl (Majora's Mask)
- "This long stick can even be used as a weapon." — Trading Post (Majora's Mask)
- "You can carry only 10, so use them wisely." — N/A (Majora's Mask)
- "A long branch gathered from the Great Deku Tree." — Kokiri Shop Owner (Ocarina of Time)
- "They say that if you get close to a butterfly while holding a Deku Stick in your hands, something good will happen." — Gossip Stone (Ocarina of Time)
- "Eh? What's that? You say if we had hot water, we could melt the ice off the hearth? Don't act like you know what you're talking about, you Deku Stick!" — Zubora (Majora's Mask)