The Deku Shrine from Majora's Mask 3D
Features and Overview
The Deku Shrine is located on the west side of the Deku Palace. The entrance, however, is initially blocked by a Big Octo. It is not until Odolwa has been defeated in the Woodfall Temple and the Southern Swamp's waters return to their normal state that Link can enter it. The Deku Butler appears here after Link brings the Deku Princess back to the Palace and, as thanks, tells the young hero that a reward awaits him at the end of the Shrine. As the Butler guides Link, a race begins.
The inner part of the Deku Shrine is a labyrinth full of traps and dead-ends, along with a large amount of Mad Scrubs that do not attack Link. Here, Link must "race" the Deku Butler by keeping up with him until the end of the obstacle course. If Link falls too far behind, the doors connecting the Shrine's different segments will begin to close until Link is trapped within, rendering him unable to catch up. The minigame is also failed by falling into a chasm at any point along the way. Masks such as the Bunny Hood will increase Link's speed, thus making the race easier.
If Link succeeds and reaches the end of the Deku Shrine, the Deku Butler will reward him with the Mask of Scents and apologize for trying too hard to outrun him. The only way to exit the Shrine is through a magic portal that appears alongside the Butler immediately after being granted the Mask.
- The Deku Shrine can be entered without clearing the Woodfall Temple if Deku Link stands on the Lily Pad closest to the entrance, removes the Deku Mask, and shoots the Big Octo with an Arrow. The Lily Pad will sink under Link's weight, so this must be done quickly. However, the Deku Butler will not be in the Shrine to race Link, so he cannot proceed past the first room.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||デクナッツのほこら (Dekunattsu no Hokora)||Deku Nuts Shrine|
|French||Autel Mojo||Mojo Altar|
|FrenchCA||Sanctuaire mojo (MM3D)|
|SpanishEU||Santuario Deku||Deku Sanctuary|
|SpanishLA||Santuario deku (MM3D)||Deku sanctuary|
- The Deku Shrine is referred to as the Treasure Room in The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask — Official Perfect Guide by Versus Books. However, as this contradicts the name given in Majora's Mask, it is not considered Canon.
- "Deku Shrine ahead." — Sign (Majora's Mask 3D)
- The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask — Official Perfect Guide (Versus Books) pg. 26
- "I am afraid I may have tried too hard to outrun you. As old as I am, I am still a fast competitor. Just like when I raced my son... Please forgive my rudeness." — Deku Butler (Majora's Mask)
- "Well done, Link! Now, here is the item I promised. Please accept it." — Deku Butler (Majora's Mask 3D)