Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
|Comparable Item(s)||Wooden Shield|
The Deku Shield is a simple wooden shield crafted from the bark of the Great Deku Tree. The Kokiri Symbol painted on its surface resembles the Kokiri's Spiritual Stone, the Kokiri's Emerald. Link must first purchase the shield in the Kokiri Shop found in the Kokiri Forest for 40 Rupees to convince Mido that he is worthy of his council with the Great Deku Tree. After passing Mido, Link can purchase another shield from Business Scrubs in either the Lost Woods, Inside the Deku Tree, or within Dodongo's Cavern for 50 Rupees. It is fairly functional, but its durability may be compromised by certain flame attacks, as it instantly burns up if a Fire Keese touches Link or a Dodongo's breath harms him. The Deku Shield can only be equipped while Link is in child form. Although the Hylian Shield is available to child Link, it is far too heavy and it hinders his movement into a sort of "turtle shield" technique. However, the Deku Shield provides a more mobile defense and is well utilized by the Z-Targeting system.
- The doors inside the Forbidden Woods in The Wind Waker are similar to the Deku Shield, as the red Kokiri symbol appears on the brown doors, forming a Deku Shield-like shape and look. This characteristic is also shared with the doors of the Forest Temple from Twilight Princess.
- During development of Ocarina of Time, the Deku Shield would use Link's family crest. This could mean that the Kokiri symbol was meant to be Link's family crest, or that the Shield used a different symbol originally.
- The Deku Shield can be seen in very early screenshots of Majora's Mask, as the game used Link's model from Ocarina of Time as a placeholder.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||デクの盾 (Deku no Tate)||Deku Shield|
|ChineseSI||德库木盾 (Dékù Mùdǔn)||Deku Wood Shield|
|FrenchEU||Bouclier Mojo||Mojo Shield|
|Italian||Scudo Deku||Deku Shield|
|Spanish||Escudo Deku||Deku Shield|
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 121 (OoT)
- "Crafted from the wood of the mighty Deku Tree, the Deku Shield would protect Link from the fury of many foes. He found this sturdy shield in the Kokiri Shop and believed forty Rupees to be a fair price." (Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Official Nintendo Player's Guide (Nintendo Power), pg. )
- "Deku Shield: 40 Rupees
Once equipped, you can defend with . If set on fire, it will burn!" — N/A (Ocarina of Time 3D)
- "Eh, what's that?! Oh, you have a Deku Shield… And what's THAT?! Is that the Kokiri Sword?! GOOD GRIEF!" — Mido (Ocarina of Time 3D)
- "I give up! If you let me go,I will sell you a Deku Shield! It's 50 Rupees!" — Business Scrub (Ocarina of Time)
- "Fire Keese-Destroy it before it flies into you! If you don't, its flames will burn up your Deku Shield!" — Navi (Ocarina of Time)
- "Hi, mister! You can't use a Deku Shield! It's only for kids!" — Kokiri (Ocarina of Time)
- "First of all, it's made of wood. In the center is Link's family crest." —Shigeru Miyamoto (The Z-Files)