We are currently performing an upgrade to our software. This upgrade will bring MediaWiki from version 1.31 to 1.33. While the upgrade is being performed on your wiki it will be in read-only mode. For more information check here.
Mountain Deer in Breath of the Wild
Lanayru Great Spring
Deer are brown ruminants with cloven hooves found in the forested regions of Hyrule. They are most immediately recognized for the branching antlers that appear on males of the species. Though they will use their antlers in self-defense, Deer are more likely to run away from danger as they are notoriously skittish and timid.
Three different Deer appear in Breath of the Wild. The most populous individuals are the Mountain Bucks and Mountain Doe that can be found roaming in wooded areas and grassy plains throughout Hyrule. They can be hunted using Weapons and drop Raw Meat when killed. Deer Hunting is a popular sport where victors are awarded Rupees. If Link is stealthy enough, he can mount and ride Mountain Deer like he would a wild horse. When mounted, the Deer will try to buck him off until it is soothed, at which point the Mountain Deer will allow Link to ride it. Unlike Horses, Link is unable to spur the Mountain Deer while riding to get a speed boost and they cannot be registered at the stables. When Link dismounts from the Mountain Deer, it will flee. Riding a Deer in this way is necessary for the completion of The Crowned Beast Shrine Quest to gain access to Mezza Lo Shrine.
The third and largest Deer in Hyrule is the Tabantha Moose found in the cold regions of Tabantha, Hebra, and Gerudo. It is a hardy animal that cannot be ridden, but serves as a source of rare meats.
- "Looks like you've caught yourself a new steed! Do you want to register it? Not a problem. Let me just— Oh, for the love of Hylia... That's not a horse! We only board horses here, stranger. No exceptions." — Tasseren (Breath of the Wild)
- "The largest breed of deer in Hyrule..." — Hyrule Compendium (Breath of the Wild)
- "Go back. Go back. Go back." (Oracle of Ages (Himekawa) (VIZ Media), pg. 22)
- "In Holodrum I could speak with animals... Maybe I still can." (Oracle of Ages (Himekawa) (VIZ Media), pg. 22)
- "We mean no harm. Princess Zelda sent us here to find Nayru." (Oracle of Ages (Himekawa) (VIZ Media), pg. 23)
- "He can speak to us. His ears are pointed. He's a Hylian. A Hylian of the old blood!" (Oracle of Ages (Himekawa) (VIZ Media), pg. 23)
- "What's wrong, Nayru? Sing some more. Please?" (Oracle of Ages (Himekawa) (VIZ Media), pg. 24)
- "I'm not Impa! My name is Veran!!" (Oracle of Ages (Himekawa) (VIZ Media), pg. 27)
- "You possessed Impa then jumped to Nayru?!" (Oracle of Ages (Himekawa) (VIZ Media), pg. 29)
- "All that's left...Is this Harp." (Oracle of Ages (Himekawa) (VIZ Media), pg. 41)