We have begun migration of most wikis to our new host, Amazon Web Services. All but the top 100 wikis are in read-only mode until the migration is complete. Estimated completion: End of Week.
|Other Media||Ocarina of Time (Himekawa)|
|Era||Era of the Hero of Time|
Darunia (pronounced /dɑːˈɹuːniə/ dah-ROO-nee-ə) is a Goron introduced in Ocarina of Time. He is the leader of the Hyrulean Gorons and the Sworn Brother of the King of Hyrule. Despite his stern appearance, he loves music and dance and cares deeply about his people. His known relatives are a distant ancestor who became a legendary hero by defeating Volvagia and his son Link who was born sometime in the seven year absence of the Hero of Time. Darunia eventually becomes the new Sage of Fire when Link cleanses the Fire Temple.
Ocarina of Time
Darunia is the patriarch of the Gorons in Ocarina of Time. He is a strict leader who sees the greater cause behind initial problems and solutions. Ganondorf visited the Gorons shortly before Link did and demanded they give him the Spiritual Stone of Fire, also known as the Goron's Ruby. If the Gorons would not hand over the rock, he would keep the entrance to Dodongo's Cavern, their main source of food, closed. Despite that this would mean that the Gorons would starve to death, Darunia did not give the stone to Ganondorf, knowing that it was too important. However, the Goron's Ruby also became more and more delicious-looking to the hungry Gorons. To protect the gem entrusted to the Goron race, Darunia locked himself up in his room with the ruby, stating that he would wait there for the messenger of the Royal Family of Hyrule. When Link arrived, he was informed of this by the other Gorons. He then went to Darunia's room and played Zelda's Lullaby. Darunia recognized this sign and opened the door, only to be enraged by the fact that the Royal Family's messenger was a mere boy and refused to talk with him about the Goron's Ruby. Link was tipped by another Goron that the way to Darunia's good side was through music and dance. From the words of several Gorons, Link understood that the song most likely to get Darunia in a good mood was none other than Saria's Song. Link played the song for Darunia, causing the latter to lose his depression and start dancing like mad. Darunia still was not going to give up the Goron's Ruby just like that and challenged Link to prove his worth by destroying the monsters inside of Dodongo's Cavern. As a small bit of help, he gave Link the Goron Bracelet.
Link passed the test and defeated King Dodongo. When he left the cavern, Darunia was waiting for him. He thanked and congratulated Link for what he had done. He then asked Link to become his Sworn Brother, symbolized by giving him the Spiritual Stone of Fire.
Some time in Link's seven year absence, Darunia had a son, who he named after his friend and the Gorons' hero: Link. Darunia made sure to tell his son as much as possible about the "legendary Dodongo Buster" who had helped them so much. Shortly before Link returned, Ganondorf returned to Goron City, freed Volvagia, and imprisoned the Gorons in the Fire Temple with the intention of having them eaten by Volvagia, as an example to the other races. Both Darunia and his son managed to escape this fate, but Darunia left for the Fire Temple anyway in an attempt to save his people. Before he left, he instructed his son, who stayed in Goron City, to let no one follow him. However, when the latter met with the hero he had heard so much about from his father, he was convinced that he should let him help and told Link about the secret entrance to Death Mountain.
Link met up with Darunia in the Fire Temple. Darunia was very happy to see his friend again but also realized this was not the time for talk. He asked Link for his help again. While he would take care of Volvagia, Link had to free his people. After fulfilling Darunia's request, Link encountered and defeated Volvagia. He was then teleported to the Chamber of Sages to meet the new Sage of Fire, who turned out to be none other than Darunia. Darunia thanked Link for helping him save his people and gave him the Fire Medallion, reminding him that they were true brothers.
When Link defeated Ganon, Darunia and the other Sages bundled their powers to seal away Ganon. During the ending, he could be seen overlooking a celebrating Hyrule on Death Mountain with the other Sages.
The Wind Waker
While Darunia did not appear in The Wind Waker, like the other Sages who helped the Hero of Time seal Ganondorf within the Sacred Realm, he is memorialized within one of the stained glass windows in Hyrule Castle's basement, where the Master Sword rests in the Pedestal of Time. The Goron Emblem is depicted directly above him. His likelihood in the stained glass window is one of several examples of how famous the events of Ocarina of Time became in the history of Hyrule.
Breath of the Wild
- Darunia, like the other Sages from Ocarina of Time, shares his name with a town from The Adventure of Link.
- Darunia is the only character in Hyrule Warriors to have his own music theme played on his victory sequence. The theme is a remixed version of "Saria's Song" with him dancing in the same way as in Ocarina of Time.
- Darunia's name may originate from the word rune, which is a common word for a metal or rock in mining terms.
|Names in Other Regions|
|EnglishUK||Sage of Fire, Darunia|
|Japanese||炎の賢者、ダルニア (Honō no Kenja, Darunia)||Sage of the Flame, Darunia|
|French||Sage du Feu, Darunia||Sage of Fire, Darunia|
|FrenchCA||Darunia, sage du feu (OoT3D)||Darunia, Sage of Fire|
|German||Weise des Feuers,Darunia||Sage of Fire, Darunia|
|Italian||Darunia, Saggio del Fuoco||Darunia, Sage of Fire|
|SpanishLA||Darunia, Sabio del Fuego (OoT3D)|
Standard Outfit based on Darmani from the Master Quest Map in Hyrule Warriors
Standard Outfit based on Darbus from the Twilight Map from Hyrule Warriors
Standard Outfit based on the Goron Mask from the Termina Map from Hyrule Warriors
Standard Outfit based on Biggoron from the Great Sea Map from Hyrule Warriors Legends
Standard Outfit based on the Great Deku Tree from the Master Wind Waker Map from Hyrule Warriors Legends
Standard Outfit based on the Goron Elder from the Grand Travels Map from Hyrule Warriors Legends
Standard Outfit based on Rosso from the Lorule Map from Hyrule Warriors Legends
|Darunia - Hammer gameplay from Hyrule Warriors|
- "I'm so hungry that I can't think about anything but food! "Spiritual Stone?" That red stone that was lighting up our city? Big Brother Darunia took it away. Then, he shut himself up in his room and won't come out. Since then, it feels like all the lights in the city have gone out... Everyone seems so... depressed... I want you to bring fire from Big Brother's room back here." — Goron (Ocarina of Time)
- "Thank you, Brother! I really appreciate what you did. I thank you on behalf of the entire Goron race! You turned out to be a real man, just as I thought you would! By the way, I, the wild Darunia, turned out to be the great Sage of Fire... Isn't that funny, Brother? Well, this must be what they call destiny. Nothing has made me happier than helping you seal the evil here! Hey, Brother, take this! This is a Medallion that contains the power of the fire spirits--and my friendship." — Darunia (Ocarina of Time)
- "Here's Darunia, leader of the Gorons." — Hyrule Warriors Direct, YouTube, published August 4, 2014.
- "What the heck? Who are you?! When I heard the song of the Royal Family, I expected their messenger had arrived, but... you're just a little kid! Has Darunia, the big boss of the Gorons, really lost so much status to be treated like this by his Sworn Brother, the King? Now, I'm REALLY angry! Get out of my face, now! Are you asking why I'm in such a bad mood right now? Ancient creatures have infested the Dodongo's Cavern! We've had a poor harvest of our special crop, Bomb Flowers! Starvation and hunger because of the rock shortage! But... This is a Goron problem! We don't need any help from strangers!" — Darunia (Ocarina of Time)
- "I'm so hungry that I can't think about anything but food! Ask Big Brother about complicated things. If he's in a bad mood, he'll probably get mad at you... it can be pretty scary. But... I know his SECRET. He may not look like the type, but Big Brother loves to dance! If he gets in a rhythm, he'll surely..." — Goron (Ocarina of Time)
- "A long time ago there was an evil dragon named Volvagia living in this mountain. That dragon was very scary! He ate Gorons! Using a huge hammer, the hero of the Gorons... BOOOM! Destroyed it just like that. This is a myth from long ago, but it's true! I know, because my dad is a descendant of the hero!" — Link (Goron) (Ocarina of Time)
- "It's me, Darunia! Well done! Thanks to you, we can once again eat the delicious rocks from the Dodongo's Cavern until our stomachs burst! What a wild adventure! It will make an incredible story... I can't believe that the Dodongos suddenly appeared in such great numbers! And that big rock blocking the cave... All this trouble must have been caused by that Gerudo thief, Ganondorf! He said, "Give me the Spiritual Stone! Only then will I open the cave for you!" You, on the other hand, risked your life for us... Kid, I like you! How's about you and I become Sworn Brothers?! No, there's no big ceremony involved! Just take this as a token of our friendship! Brother! You'll keep brushing up on your skills as you travel, won't you? You should go see the Great Fairy on top of Death Mountain! She will power you up! Hey, everybody! Let's see off our Brother!" — Darunia (Ocarina of Time)
- "Hey! It's dangerous for a little kid like you to come out here. You might fall down! If I'm not mistaken, you came out here to eat the red stone! Well, too bad! It's not here! What? That's not why you're here? You're looking for a "Spiritual Stone?" You must mean that delicious-looking stone that was once displayed here! I was so hungry that I thought it would be OK to just give it one tiny little lick...so I snuck out here. But, it was already gone! I think Big Brother took it away. He always says that everyone is after that red stone! Big Brother has shut himself up in his room saying, "I will wait in here for the Royal Family's messenger!"" — Goron (Ocarina of Time)
- "Well, that's not quite what I was looking for... I wanted to hear... a tune... something... um... from outside the mountains... something... green... natural... That's the kind of music I want to hear..." — Darunia (Ocarina of Time)
- "I remember Big Brother used to always listen to the music that comes from the forest... Ah yes, the good old days... That music makes me feel nostalgic, too..." — Goron (Ocarina of Time)
- "Heeey!! What a nice tune! Just like that, my depression is all gone! Something just came over me! I suddenly wanted to dance like crazy! I am Darunia! I'm the big boss of the Gorons! Was there something you wanted to ask me about? What? You want the Spiritual Stone of Fire, too? The Spiritual Stone of Fire, also known as the Goron's Ruby, is our race's hidden treasure... But hold on--I'm not going to give it to you that easily. If you want it so badly... Why don't you go destroy the monsters inside of the Dodongo's Cavern and prove you're a real man? That way, everybody will be happy again! If you do it, I will give you anything you want, even the Spiritual Stone! I have something for you. I'm not really giving you this in return for anything, but take it anyway. If you wear this, even a little fella like you can pick up a Bomb Flower. Destroy the monsters in the Dodongo's Cavern and become a real man! Then, we can talk about the Spiritual Stone!" — Darunia (Ocarina of Time)
- "Everybody was taken to the Fire Temple... While my dad was out... Ganondorf's followers came and took them all away! All of them will be eaten by Volvagia! Dad said that Ganondorf has revived Volvagia... As a warning to those who might oppose him, Ganondorf is going to feed them all to Volvagia! Dad went to the Fire Temple all by himself to try to save everyone... Please help, Link! I'll give you this heat-resistant tunic!" — Link (Goron) (Ocarina of Time)
- "What? Your name is also Link? Then you must be the legendary Dodongo Buster and Hero, Link! My dad is Darunia... Do you remember him? Dad named me Link after you, because you're so brave! It's a cool name! I really like it! Link, you're a hero to us Gorons! I'm so glad to meet you! Please give me your autograph! Sign it: "To my friend, Link of the Gorons" Oh... I guess it's not a good time to ask you for this... Please help everyone! My dad, Darunia, went to the Fire Temple. A dragon is inside! If we don't hurry up, even my dad will be eaten by the dragon!! B-b-b-boooo hooooo!" — Link (Goron) (Ocarina of Time)
- "Dad told me not to let anybody follow him to the temple, but... Only you, Link, can save everyone! I'm sure that the shop owner, who is hiding somewhere right now, will also help you! Now, I'll tell you about the secret passage to the Fire Temple! Try to move the statue inside Dad's room!" — Link (Goron) (Ocarina of Time)
- "Who's there? Is that you, Link...? Oh, it really is Link! You've grown so big since I last saw you! I want to have a man-to-man talk with you, but now's not the time. Ganondorf is causing trouble on Death Mountain again! He has revived the evil, ancient dragon Volvagia! On top of that, he is going to feed my people to that evil dragon as a warning to other races that might resist him... If that fire-breathing dragon escapes from the mountain, all of Hyrule will become a burning wasteland! I will go on ahead to try to seal up the evil dragon... I'm concerned, though, because I don't have the legendary hammer... But I have no choice. Link...I'm asking you to do this as my Sworn Brother... While I'm trying to deal with the dragon, please save my people! The prisoners' cells are in the opposite direction. I'm counting on you, Link!" — Darunia (Ocarina of Time)
- "You received the Fire Medallion! Darunia awakens as a Sage and adds his power to yours!" — N/A (Ocarina of Time)
- "Don't forget... Now you and I are true brothers!" — Darunia (Ocarina of Time)
- "Hey! Listen! Princess Ruto is in trouble! [...] She was abducted by the Gorons!" — Navi (Hyrule Warriors)
- "Their leader Darunia used to be such a gentle soul. Someone named Zelda showed up and... He hasn't been the same since!" — Navi (Hyrule Warriors)
- "There she subdued the Goron chieftain, Darunia, who had temporarily lost his senses." — Narrator (Hyrule Warriors)
- "Upon freeing Princess Ruto, however, Impa was shocked to learn the reason for the conflict between the Zora and Goron people. The ancient Water Temple was teeming with monsters that poured from the Gate of Souls. What's more, the monsters were apparently led by Princess Zelda herself!" — Narrator (Hyrule Warriors)