|Game(s)||Oracle of Ages|
Oracle of Seasons
|Location(s)||Room of Rites|
|Resolution(s)||Resurrection of Ganon|
|The Flames of Sorrow and Destruction burn brightly! Only the Flame of Despair remains! Eee hee hee hee! When the three flames are lit, we will offer the sacrifice and complete the Dark Rites. Then the Evil King shall return!|
The Dark Rites is an evil method of reincarnation featured in the Oracle Series. When the three sinister Flames of Sorrow, Destruction, and Despair are lit, and the blood of the holy sacrifice is sprinkled over the ashes of one who is deceased, the deceased one will be revived. Koume and Kotake use this method to revive Ganon in the Room of Rites.
Flame of Sorrow
The Flame of Sorrow is lit in Oracle of Ages by Veran, Sorceress of Shadows, when she used Nayru's powers to travel back in time 400 years and create an "Age of Darkness", making the citizens of Lynna Village suffer by working endlessly on Queen Ambi's Black Tower. Although Veran is defeated by Link and Nayru is saved, the sorrow of the people of Queen Ambi's age reaches Twinrova, igniting the Flame of Sorrow.
Flame of Destruction
The Flame of Destruction is lit in Oracle of Seasons when General Onox throws the seasons of Holodrum into chaos by kidnapping Din and sinking the Temple of Seasons into Subrosia. Despite the fact that Onox is defeated by Link, the damage caused to the land of Holodrum and Subrosia is enough to accomplish Twinrova's plan to light up the Flame of Destruction.
Flame of Despair
The final flame, the Flame of Despair, is lit when Twinrova capture Princess Zelda. At the loss of the princess, the voice of hope of the land, the people of Labrynna and Holodrum are stricken with despair, causing the Flame of Despair to light. However, Link is able to rescue the princess before she is sacrificed, foiling Twinrova's plan. After the evil witches are defeated by Link, Koume and Kotake sacrifice themselves instead to revive Ganon, but since they were the sacrifice instead of Princess Zelda, a mindless form of the King of Evil is revived, allowing the young hero to easily defeat him.
- "Queen Ambi... Now, with my powers, the flow of time is yours to command. For you, I shall create a day that never ends, so the people will never sleep, and work on the tower can continue. And when the tower reaches the heavens, you shall go down in history as the greatest queen to ever live! Heh heh heh heh! We are closer to the Age of Shadow! But it's still premature. The true shadow will fall when the Black Tower reaches the heavens and I climb to its highest turret! Then it will come..." — Veran (Oracle of Ages)
- "As we guessed, saving Nayru was for naught! Ambi's age is filled with cries of sorrow! Veran has extended the Dark Realm's reach, giving us what we seek--echoing cries of sorrow! Spread, darkness! Spread, sorrow!" — Twinrova (Oracle of Ages)
- "Eee hee hee!!! Veran, Sorceress of Shadows! Twinrova will not let your deeds be wasted! Look, Veran! The troubles you caused now burn as the Flame of Sorrow!" — Twinrova (Oracle of Seasons)
- "Down, Temple of Seasons!!! Spring, summer, fall, winter... Fall into chaos! Then the Flame of Destruction shall burn with the Flame of Sorrow, and the Evil King shall return!" — Twinrova (Oracle of Seasons)
- "Onox has fallen, but the damage he has done to this land burns on in the Flame of Destruction! When this flame lights the dark, our wish shall be granted! Hya, ha, ha, ha!" — Twinrova (Oracle of Seasons)
- "I rue this day! Zelda has been taken and the villagers have been beaten into despair!" — N/A (Oracle of Seasons)
- "Thanks to Veran and Onox, the Flames of Sorrow and Destruction already flicker! And when we captured Zelda, the foolish humans gave us despair!" — Oracle Series
- "Our sacrifice will revive the Evil King and guide him to the light of the three flames!" — Twinrova (Oracle series)
- "Since they could not sacrifice me in their final rite, the powers of darkness could only revive a mindless, raging Ganon." — Princess Zelda (Oracle series)