Darbus from Twilight Princess
|Era||Era of Twilight|
Darbus is the patriarch of the Goron tribe of Death Mountain, succeeding Gor Coron, the previous patriarch. As such, it is his duty, along with the four Goron Elders, to oversee and protect the Goron Mines and the Fused Shadow that rests inside. He is much larger than most other Gorons in the game, and is notable for his physical strength.
It is revealed by Gor Coron that, before Link first arrived at Death Mountain, Darbus entered the Goron Mines to investigate the mountain's odd volcanic activity, as well as to determine whether the Fused Shadow was safe. However, when Darbus touched the Fused Shadow, he transformed into a monster known as Fyrus, and began to rampage through the mines; he caused great damage and intensified the power and frequency of the eruptions. Because of this, the four Goron Elders were forced to seal him away deep inside the mines, and divided the pieces of the shattered Key that unlocked the door to his prison between themselves (with the exception Gor Coron, who remained to lead the Gorons during Darbus' absence). After Link braves the Goron Mines and defeats Fyrus, he transforms back into Darbus again, apparently having no recollection of his transformation. Since Darbus is very proud and can be easily offended, Gor Coron refrains from divulging to Darbus that Link saved him from the power of the Fused Shadow, as he would react badly to the fact that he was saved by a human.
Later, Darbus visits the Sanctuary in Kakariko Village to try and help to restore Ilia's memory, due to fact that she is an acquaintance of Link. After obtaining the Wooden Statue, Link speaks to Darbus and is offered his help; ironically, Darbus laughs at the idea that Link would be able to help him in turn. When Link shows the statue to Ilia, Gor Coron recalls that the tribe who created it lived in a Hidden Village that was now blocked off by a rockslide. He then says that the obstruction is of no trouble for a Goron, and asks Darbus to clear a path for the young hero. When Link arrives at the entrance to the Hidden Village, Darbus, having already cleared away the rockslide, warns him about the group of Bulblins that now inhabit the place, as well as giving him tips on how to defeat them all. After Darbus's work is complete, he returns to Death Mountain.
- Darbus was initially meant to be accompanied by Louise. This can be seen in early concept art where she rests on his shoulder.
|Names in Other Regions|
Darunia with a recolor Costume based on Darbus in Hyrule Warriors
- "But the moment Darbus reached out and touched the treasure...everything went wrong. He collapsed...and before our very eyes transformed into an unspeakable monster!" — Gor Coron (Twilight Princess)
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 277 (TP)
- "The patriarch of the Goron tribe is Darbus...and that is ME!" — Darbus (Twilight Princess)
- "The elder, Gor Coron, was the tribe's patriarch before Darbus, Brother." — Goron (Twilight Princess)
- "When the mountain began to rage, all four of us elders and Darbus, our patriarch, went inside to investigate its anger. We have a treasure that was entrusted to us by the spirits, and we must protect it. Do you understand?" — Gor Coron (Twilight Princess)
- "He began to rage through the mines, trailing ruin behind him...and the eruptions grew more frequent and more severe." — Gor Coron (Twilight Princess)
- "We used all of our strength to seal him deep inside the mountain... It...grieved us to do this to our patriarch...but we had no other course of action." — Gor Coron (Twilight Princess)
- "That is one of the key shards that, when merged together, form the key to the room where Darbus is being held. He is our patriarch. The key is split into three pieces. Each of us elders keeps a piece." — Gor Amoto (Twilight Princess)
- "Because of certain...circumstances, I must lead the Goron tribe in place of Darbus, our tribal patriarch." — Gor Coron (Twilight Princess)
- "Uhhgh... Urrgh... ...Hmm? What am I doing here? Unngh... My head, it aches... Urrrgh... So much pain... I cannot remember anything." — Darbus (Twilight Princess)
- "We have not told him that you were the one who saved him. He is a proud Goron, and he can be...touchy. If he knew he had been saved by a human..." — Gor Coron (Twilight Princess)
- "Darbus happened to hear that an acquaintance of one of our brothers had lost her memory and was in some trouble." — Gor Coron (Twilight Princess)
- "If there is anything I can do to help, just say so! It is in times like these that we must come to one another's aid!" — Darbus (Twilight Princess)
- "Not that you could ever do much to help ME, my tiny friend! Gah ha ha!" — Darbus (Twilight Princess)
- "But...a rockslide blocked the way to the village long ago, so you can't get there anymore." — Gor Coron (Twilight Princess)
- "Problems like these are not problems to Gorons. Our patriarch, Darbus, will be waiting for you up ahead." — Gor Coron (Twilight Princess)
- "There are 30... No... At most, 20 of them ahead... They are probably just a small band of survivors... Ragged remnants who have settled, leaderless, into this village. If that is all there are, little human, then you alone are more than enough for them. But you will have to defeat them ALL to save that girl's benefactor. Before you go, I will tell you the secret to besting them: destroy them all before they spot you!" — Darbus (Twilight Princess)
- "For some reason, this concept art depicts Telma's cat riding on Darbus's shoulder. It seems that, initially, the feline played a role in his story." (Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 189)