In the next few weeks, your wiki will be migrated to a Fandom.com domain. Learn more here.
Cukemen are recurring Enemies in The Legend of Zelda series.[note 1] They are strange enemies that are the result when Link sprinkles Magic Powder or uses a Mystery Seed on a Buzz Blob, transforming it into this creature. Cukemen are notable as being able to converse with Link, and will usually give him confusing advice about the game and various things in it.
Since neither Four Swords Adventures, A Link Between Worlds, or Tri Force Heroes have Magic Powder or Mystery Seeds, Cukemen cannot be found anywhere in these games, despite the presence of Buzz Blobs.
A Link to the Past
In A Link to the Past, a Cukeman is the result when Link sprinkles Magic Powder on a Buzz Blob. Buzz Blobs appear close to the Witch's Hut, where Link exchanges the Magic Mushroom for the Magic Powder, making them good targets to practice using the Magic Powder on and thus discover their transformation. Link can speak with the Cukeman by carefully approaching it and pressing either the A or B-buttons. It will speak mostly about Sahasrahla and recommends that Link find him. Cukemen, however, are still electrified and do not change their attack pattern, and will still shock Link if he strikes one with his Sword. Because of this, it is safer to approach and speak with a Cukeman by pressing the B-button, as Link will swing his Sword if he is not close enough.
|Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ...|
|Oh yah, you found Sahasrahla! ... ... ... Good job, la la!|
In Link's Awakening, Buzz Blobs are transformed into Cukemen after sprinkling them with Magic Powder. Their appearance is much different than the Cukemen in A Link to the Past, as they resemble Buzz Blobs with bulging eyes. One Buzz Blob also appears close to the Witch's Hut, which Link can practice using the Magic Powder on. The Cukemen in Link's Awakening talk about various things, usually nonsense.
|You know me, I like short names the best...|
|It can display millions of polygons!|
|I definitely need it, as soon as possible!|
Oracle of Seasons
In Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons, Cukemen appear after using a Mystery Seed on a Buzz Blob. They appear identical to the Cukemen of Link's Awakening. They speak of various, nonsensical things, including wanting to go to a southern tropical island for a vacation. Unlike the Cukemen of previous games, which speak phrases in a set order, the phrases that Cukemen in the Oracle games say are randomized.
|Feel my cold, steely gaze!!!|
|3 Large, 2 Regular.|
|Really? I mean, I knew that!|
|I'm so sleepy.|
|I want to ride a plane. Anywhere's fine.|
|I want a nice tropical vacation.|
|I wish I could go to a tropical southern island.|
|Huh? Did I say that?|
- In Link's Awakening, one of the phases Cukeman says mentions an unnamed thing that can display "millions of polygons," and expresses needing it. This might have been a reference to the Nintendo 64, which was in early development at the time of the game's release.
- The German translator of Link's Awakening, Claude M. Moyse, hid some controversial jokes in the Cukeman's phrases. These phrases were replaced by more neutral ones in Link's Awakening DX. The phrases are:
- Never without a condom!
- Do you have any sorrows, hardships or problems?
- !STOP THE WAR! GIVE PEACE A CHANCE!!
- Give me your juice, I'll give you mine...
|Names in Other Regions|
|This table was generated using translation pages.|
To request an addition, please a staff member with a reference.
- This enemy was referred to as Potatohead in The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past — Nintendo Player's Guide by Nintendo of America Inc.. However, because the term "Cukeman" was officially stated in Art & Artifacts, the term "Potatohead" is not considered Canon.
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 172 (ALttP | LA | OoS | OoA)
- The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past — Nintendo Player's Guide (Nintendo Co., Ltd.) pg. 110
- "Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..." — Cukeman (A Link to the Past)
- "Oh yah, you found Sahasrahla! ... ... ... Good job, la la!" — Cukeman (A Link to the Past)
- "I wish I could go to a tropical southern island." — Cukeman (Oracle of Seasons)
- "I want a nice tropical vacation." — Cukeman (Oracle of Seasons)
- "It can display millions of polygons!" — Cukeman (Link's Awakening DX)
- "I definitely need it, as soon as possible!" — Cukeman (Link's Awakening DX)
- Legend of Zelda, The - Link's Awakening, Schnittberichte.com.