|Other media||The Crystal Trap|
|Use(s)||Open the way to the Great Palace (TAoL) and Ganon's Tower (ALttP)|
Imprisonment (ALttP | OoT | OoS | FSA)
- 1 Appearances and Quest Purpose
- 2 Non-canon Appearances
- 3 Nomenclature
- 4 Gallery
- 5 See Also
- 6 References
Appearances and Quest Purpose
The Adventure of Link
In the backstory of The Adventure of Link, Impa gives six crystals to Link when the Triforce mark appears on his left hand. These crystals must be placed in the foreheads of statues found in the six palaces scattered throughout Hyrule and, once all crystals are in place, the barrier protecting the entrance to the Great Palace will disappear, allowing Link to retrieve the Triforce of Courage and awake the slumbering Princess Zelda.
A Link to the Past
In A Link to the Past, Crystals are magical prisons that hold the seven Maidens (female descendants of the seven Sages). The crystals are separately entrusted to a boss monster in dungeons of the Dark World. The Princess Zelda of this era is contained in the seventh crystal. After defeating one of the seven bosses, a crystal is received, freeing her from the monsters' clutches. All seven crystals are needed to get into Ganon's Tower.
Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask
Crystals are also present in Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. After completing a dungeon, a Warp appears that turns Link into a crystal and warps him out of the dungeon. Princess Zelda is held captive in a pink crystal in Ganon's Castle at the end of Ocarina of Time.
Oracle of Seasons
In Oracle of Seasons, Link finds Din imprisoned within a blue crystal before he faces General Onox. During the battle, Onox uses the comatose Din to shield himself from Link's attacks. Link can repel the crystal with the Rod of Seasons.
Blue Crystals appear in Four Swords. Link must pick them up from their pedestal and carry them over to another pedestal. Upon doing so, certain devices will activate, such as a door opening to allow access to the next area. If Link drops a crystal and it shatters, he must start over again.
Four Swords Adventures
- Main article: Shadow Crystal
In Twilight Princess, Shadow Crystals are objects created by Zant to blot out the light. When many of them are present together, they create Dark Fog. Touching a shadow crystal causes Link to transform into Wolf Link. Midna exploits this and transforms Link between human and beast forms with the crystal Zant used to curse Link.
In Phantom Hourglass, shaped crystals are used as pieces necessary to solve some dungeon puzzles. These crystals come in three varieties: Square Crystals, Triangle Crystals, and Round Crystals. Each kind of jewel can fit into any pedestal with a hole the same shape as the crystal; some puzzles even require moving jewels from one pedestal to another in order to make progress.
A Link Between Worlds
Each Sage in A Link Between Worlds is briefly trapped in a crystal reminiscent of the ones in A Link to the Past once their respective painting is found, although they break free almost immediately.
|Names in Other Regions|
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 120 (TAoL | ALttP)
- "From the stand next to the altar where Princess Zelda lay in a deep sleep, Impa took six Crystals and a scroll with the same crest and handed them to Link." (The Adventure of Link manual, pg. 8)
- "When you have defeated the guardians, which I made to prevent enemies from invading the six palaces in Hyrule, set a crystal in the forehead of the statue you find. When you have set crystals in all of the statues in the six palaces, the “binding force” placed on the Valley of Death will be removed and you will be able to enter the great palace." (The Adventure of Link manual, pg. 10)
- "Press R to light the shining blue crystals. Then press it again to place them on another pedestal. Doing so will activate certain devices. If you drop a crystal and it shatters, you must do it all over again." — Stray Fairy (Four Swords)
- "'I already have the Triforce of Power, but I need all three parts of the Triforce to complete my hold on Hyrule. Since I cannot get the Triforces of Courage and Wisdom from you, then you shall not be able to use them, either,' he says. 'With this magic scroll, I have cast a spell to encase them in unbreakable crystal. Of course, since the Triforce of Courage is in Link's heart, I'm afraid the poor boy will have to be shut up in the crystal also. Sorry about that.'" (The Crystal Trap (Archway), pg. 65)
- "'Not likely,' says Ganon. 'There's only one way to break the crystal, and I don't think you'll ever figure it out, or find the three things you need. By this time tomorrow, Link will be trapped in the crystal forever!'" (The Crystal Trap (Archway), pg. 65)