Conly is first mentioned in the book when Princess Zelda asks Aldo, the gatekeeper, if he has seen anything or anyone unusual around town, which might help her on her quest to free Link from the Crystal. Aldo then informs the princess of the beekeeper known as Conly, who townsfolk say has special bees that can make Magic Honey. Since the answer to the third part of the Fairy's Scroll riddle is Magic Honey, Zelda is anxious to go visit the beekeeper. However, Aldo suggests Zelda that she not go see Conly until she has learned how to make a deal with him since the beekeeper is known to be unfriendly. If Zelda does not follow Aldo's advice, she will decide that there is no time to waste and hurries off to see Conly despite the gatekeeper's warnings. When she arrives at his hut and calls out Conly's name, the beekeeper comes out and asks if Zelda brought him anything. Zelda tells him that she is in a hurry and did not bring him anything, and Conly, now angry, releases a swarm of Magic Bees at the princess who injure her and eventually make her fall into a pit deep in the forest, resulting in a Game Over.
However, if the princess waits to visit the beekeeper, she will eventually meet up with an old friend of hers, Estragon, who will give her a small flask containing the sap of the fairy flower tree. This, according to Estragon, is what the beekeeper uses to make his favorite drink. By taking the Fairy Flower Sap to the beekeeper, he will let her go into his hut and successfully retrieve Magic Honey.
- "'No,' he says. 'But just out of town there's a strange newcomer--a beekeeper.' [...] 'Name of Conly,' Aldo replies. 'Very strange. He lives just out of town, back along the road a bit. Folks say his bees are magic. But he won't let anyone taste their honey.'" (The Crystal Trap (Archway), pg. 56)
- "'Hmm,' Zelda says softly.' How did the riddle go? What's sweeter than sugar? I think I know the answer!'" (The Crystal Trap (Archway), pg. 56)
- "Very unfriendly old coot. Don't go near him, that's my advice. Not until you know how to make a deal with him.'" (The Crystal Trap (Archway), pg. 56)
- "'Hello, beekeeper Conly!' Zelda calls. 'Heh?' answers a deep voice. 'Who's that? Another one of them pesky townspeople? Did you bring me anything?'" (The Crystal Trap (Archway), pg. 56)
- "'No,' Zelda replies, suddenly recalling Aldo's advice. 'Sorry, I'm in a hurry.' 'Hurry?' snarls the voice. 'I'll make ya hurry!'" (The Crystal Trap (Archway), pg. 38)
- "'With this,' he replies and places a small flask on the table. 'The sap of the fairy flower tree. The beekeeper uses it to make his favorite drink.'" (The Crystal Trap (Archway), pg. 7)
- "The little man eyes the flask hungrily. 'What do yer want?' he asks. 'Honey? Take whatever you need.' And he waves to a row of honey pots along one wall." (The Crystal Trap (Archway), pg. 56)