|Habitat(s)||Kakariko Village Graveyard (OoT)|
Ikana Graveyard (MM)
|Effective Weapon(s)||Sword (OoT)|
Song of Storms (MM)
Ocarina of Time
In Ocarina of Time, the Composer Brothers are deceased composers who, during their life, served the Royal Family of Hyrule. Sharp reveals that he and his brother were originally from Kakariko Village, which was founded by the Sheikah. This may imply that they were Sheikah in life. They were known to be great composers because of the many musical masterpieces they wrote. However, they were also on a mission to analyze the hereditary mysterious powers of the Royal Family. Although they could never quite understand the true power behind the Triforce, they completed a study about controlling the flow of time via the use of Ocarinas. Ganondorf then tried to steal the results of their research and threatened to kill them if they did not reveal them. The Composer Brothers, unwilling to let the King of the Gerudos reap the fruits of their research, gave up their lives in order to protect the secret they had spent years researching.
After their death, they kept serving the Royal Family as Poes by guarding Kakariko Village Graveyard. Their tombstones are located right next to the huge headstone that guards the entrance to the Royal Family's Tomb. Link can speak to the deceased brothers by checking their gravestones, which results in them attacking Link. After being defeated and realising that he is not one of Ganondorf's men, they will reveal that they were each studying a song, one to summon the sun and the other to summon the moon. Their combined studies resulted in the creation of the "Sun's Song," which is the secret song they guarded and that eventually led to their deaths. Once Link enters the tomb, he can find the "Sun's Song" inscribed at the end, along with a poem written by the Composer Brothers to accompany the melody.
Sharp is located in the Spring Water Cave at the top of Ikana Canyon. When the land of Ikana Canyon was taken over, Sharp was tricked into selling his soul to the devil. He then locked up his brother Flat beneath the Ikana Graveyard, and had him guarded by an Iron Knuckle. Due to Sharp's curse, the Ikana River has gone dry, causing the Music Box House to stop working and allowing Gibdos to roam the canyon freely.
Sharp composed a song called "Melody of Darkness," which has the ability to drain the life from all who listen to it. When Link confronts him, Sharp plays the song, stating that Link will "join the ranks of the dead". The song damages Link as long as he remains in the Spring Water Cave. However, when Link plays the "Song of Storms," the song Flat composed to get rid of his brother's curse, Sharp's soul is healed. Sharp then tells Link of the curse on Ikana, and how to gain entrance to the Ancient Castle of Ikana.
If Link plays the "Song of Healing", which cures every other spirit in the game, Sharp will react and say how soothing the song is, but quickly regain his demeanor and say it is too late for him to be healed.
Flat is locked up beneath the Ikana Graveyard by his own brother, Sharp, and is guarded by an Iron Knuckle. After defeating the Iron Knuckle, Flat's soul is freed, and in return he teaches Link the "Song of Storms," a song he had composed to cure Sharp of his curse. He also reveals that he and his brother were once servants and composers of the Ikana Royal Family. Flat requests that Link helps cleanse his brother's black soul, allowing the two of them to finally have their eternal rest.
- In Majora's Mask, Flat's moon symbol was changed to a green version of Sharp's sun symbol. The Triforce-shaped brooches were also changed into Poe-like ones.
- Sharp and Flat seem to be based on Mario and Luigi from the Super Mario Bros. series. Sharp, the older brother, is a bit smaller and chubbier than his younger brother. Also, Sharp has a red sun symbol on his cap, while Flat has a green moon one.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Composer Brothers||Sharp the Elder||Flat the Younger|
|Japanese||作曲家兄弟 (Sakkyokuka Kyōdai)||兄 シャープ (Ani Shāpu)||弟 フラット (Otōto Furatto)|
|FrenchCA||Frères musiciens (OoT3D)||Dièse l'aîné (OoT3D)
|Bémol le cadet (OoT3D)|
|FrenchEU||Frères musiciens (OoT)||Bémol l'aîné (OoT)
|Dièse le cadet (OoT)|
|German||Gebrüder Brahmstein (OoT)
Königliche Komponistenbrüder (MM)
|Johann der Ältere (OoT)
|Ludwig der Jüngere (OoT)|
|SpanishLA||Hermanos compositores (OoT3D)||Sostenido el viejo (OoT3D)
|Bemol el joven (OoT3D)|
- "We brothers also served the Royal Family, and were assigned to study the hereditary mystic powers of the family." — Composer Brothers (Ocarina of Time)
- "R.I.P. Here lie the souls of those who swore fealty to the Royal Family of Hyrule. The Sheikah, guardians of the Royal Family and founders of Kakariko, watch over these spirits in their eternal slumber." — Kakariko Tombstone (Ocarina of Time)
- "I am one of the ghostly composer brothers of Kakariko Village. All the people in this village are born to serve the Royal Family of Hyrule." — Sharp (Ocarina of Time)
- "Back then, people called us great composers because of the many musical masterpieces we wrote. But we brothers were not just composers. We had a mission to analyze the mysterious powers of Hyrule's Royal Family." — Composer Brothers (Ocarina of Time)
- "Though we never could figure out the power of the Triforce, we had almost completed our study of controlling time with the tones of ocarinas. Uh, I mean... Actually, we did complete that study! We would have been famous, if that hateful Ganondorf had not tried to steal our results. We could never let him reap the fruits of our research! That's why we gave our lives to protect the secret." — Composer Brothers (Ocarina of Time)
- "Oh, what? You're not one of Ganondorf's men, are you?" — Composer Brothers (Ocarina of Time)
- "To tell the truth, each of us was studying a different song, one to summon the sun and another to summon the moon. If you were really sent by a member of the Royal Family, I will tell you about the results of our study. We inscribed it on the royal tombstone." — Composer Brothers (Ocarina of Time)
- "The rising sun will eventually set, / A newborn's life will fade. From sun to moon, moon to sun... / Give peaceful rest to the living dead." — N/A (Ocarina of Time)
- "Oh...Sharp, my dear brother. He sold his soul to the devil and was the one who locked me in here..." — Flat (Majora's Mask)
- "We dead should not be lingering here in this land. It was all a trick of the masked one who had upset things." — Sharp (Majora's Mask)
- "If that is the case, then sleep gently to the melody of darkness that the great composer, Sharp, shall play...and join the ranks of the dead." — Sharp (Majora's Mask)
- "With my brother's song, you have broken the curse that was placed upon me. It is all thanks to you." — Sharp (Majora's Mask)
- "If you truly do not fear the dead... I wish for you to go to the temple in this land and sever the root of the evil curse that torments us. To do that... You must seek out the king, the only one who knows the way into the temple. The king is in the ruins of Ikana Castle, awaiting the coming of the one who will break the curse." — Sharp (Majora's Mask)
- "Hmm? Somehow, my heart is eased. This melody has a serenity to it... And yet... To one of the dead and darkness, like myself, a song like that no longer holds meaning for me. You shall end your futile resistance and quickly join the ranks of the dead." — Sharp (Majora's Mask)
- "Here is written the song that shall cleanse his cursed, black soul." — Flat (Majora's Mask)
- "Are you the one who freed my soul? I served the Ikana Royal family. I am the composer called Flat. The songs connected to the Royal Family that remain here were all composed by my brother and I." — Flat (Majora's Mask)
- "You who do not fear the dead, learn well the song that is inscribed behind me... And if you ever meet my brother, I'd like you to inform him... The thousand years of raindrops summoned by my song are my tears. The thunder that strikes the earth is my anger! ...I have made my request." — Flat (Majora's Mask)