|Launch Date||June 15, 2005|
Zeldapedia is a wiki hosted on Wikia that is focused on The Legend of Zelda series. Due to being hosted on Wikia, Zeldapedia is a competing wiki with Zelda Wiki. The wiki was created on June 15, 2005 by Champion Kai. In June 2007, a merger between Zeldapedia and Zelda Wiki was proposed by Wikia co-founder Angela Beesley. The proposal was rejected by staff members on both sites.
In November 2010, Wikia disabled the Monaco skin and enabled the Oasis skin. This decision prompted a discussion on Zeldapedia on whether the wiki should continue to be hosted on Wikia or not, with the majority of the users being in favor of the former.
In June 2019, another merger between Zeldapedia and Zelda Wiki was proposed by staff members from both sides. Unlike the previous proposal, all the staff members from both sides agreed to the merging to Zelda Wiki, and the topic was first brought on with the mainspace community, and later the Discussions section community, with the majority of the community agreeing to the merger. On June 15, 2019, which also marked Zeldapedia's fourteenth anniversary, the English wiki was shut down and its community merged with Zelda Wiki and Zelda Universe. The other language counterparts currently remain active.
Characteristics and Policies
Like other wikis at Fandom, Zeldapedia sets its own policies. This results in certain differences from Zelda Wiki. Much like other Wikia wikis, Zeldapedia had allowed anonymous, non-registered, users to edit but an update of the COPPA Act has prompted Wikia as a whole to end anonymous editing on wikis with a target audience of thirteen and under. Some criticisms commonly raised against Wikia itself are potentially extended to their hosted wikis such as Zeldapedia, such as perceptions of a more centralized and less community based or caring approach, while criticisms of being primarily financially motivated rarely extend to various Wikis and their users and staff.
One notable policy difference between Zeldapedia and Zelda Wiki is the usage of citations and references which, while core principles here at Zelda Wiki, are less valued at Zeldapedia.
Fandom as a whole is run by its own staff, and each individual wiki has their own governing body. Zeldapedia's staff as of 2019 is as follows:
Spin off wikis
Zeldapedia has a number of spin-off wikis, including the Zelda Fanon Wiki.
Zeldapedia incorporates a number of sub-wikis for various languages. The largest as of 2017 being the French and Spanish wikis with 3700 articles.
- French Wikia
- German Wikia
- Italian Wikia
- Spanish Wikia
- Simplified Chinese Wikia
- Traditional Chinese Wikia
In November of 2011, after the affiliation between ZeldaInformer and Zelda Wiki ended, ZeldaInformer and Zeldapedia affiliated together. The affiliation lasted until July of 2013.
- "...Angela was quite interested in, well, seeing Zelda Wiki perhaps move to Wikia. But not just that - she was also interested in merging ZW.org with Wikia's already existing Zelda Wiki..." —Jason Rappaport (Zelda Wiki:News 2007)
- "Our wiki and theirs, although compatible, would take a TON of work to merge together. On top of that, the promised increase in traffic did not justify this insane amount of work, nor did it justify actually having to move the wiki to Wikia, where we'd all lose control over the site, as well as ownership of the site. Wikia refers to their wikis AS "their" wikis - and that doesn't work well with what ZW.org really stands for, and that's not being TRULY owned by anybody. But, obviously, as the technical owner of the domain I had to make some sort of decision, and in the end, with the input of the other owners and some friends, it was unanimously decided not to move to Wikia or to merge with Wikia's Zelda Wiki." —Jason Rappaport (Zelda Wiki:News 2007)
- Forum:Moving, Zeldapedia.
- Announcement to all Editors, Zeldapedia.
- Official Crossover Voting Thread, Zeldapedia.
- This wiki has been archived and moved to Gamepedia, Zeldapedia.