|Game(s)||Link's Awakening DX|
Giant Buzz Blob
|Quest Reward(s)||Blue Mail|
The Color Dungeon is a dungeon in Link's Awakening DX. It was initially added to Link's Awakening DX to showcase the use of the Game Boy Color's screen to enhance gameplay. Link can enter the Dungeon as soon as he returns BowWow to Madam MeowMeow.
Entrance to the Dungeon
In the Library, an unreachable Book high on a bookshelf gives directions as to locating and revealing the dungeon's entrance. By Dashing into the Bookshelves with the Pegasus Boots, Link is able to knock the Book on the floor. The Book instructs Link to push the Tombstones in the southeast corner of the Cemetery in a specific order; by following the Book's instructions, the entrance reveals itself under the last pushed Tombstone. However, before Link can go further, Dion and Gar stand in his way. They caution Link that he must have Magic Powder in order to advance and offer to sell him some if he has none.[note 1]
The Color Dungeon can be accessed without reading the Book in the Library, as the Tombstones can be pushed once Link has obtained the Power Bracelet. However, the final Tombstone can not be moved if Link is accompanied by another character.
The Color Dungeon incorporates many color-based puzzles. In some rooms, Link must hit Switches to harmonize their colors, or throw Orb Monsters into holes matching their color to progress. Link's Awakening for Nintendo Switch adds distinctive shapes to all of the color puzzle elements so that they can be distinguished and solved by colorblind players.
Inside the Dungeon, the Power Bracelet is required to complete some puzzles, and Magic Powder is a vital item to defeat the Giant Buzz Blob. Avalaunch exhibits a more mechanical appearance in comparison to regular Hinox; they can make Boulders fall from the ceiling.
Once the Hardhit Beetle is defeated, Link meets a Great Fairy who offers him "the power of color" in the form of either the Blue Mail or the Red Mail. Link can clear the Dungeon again to switch between tunics. In Link's Awakening DX Link can never revert back to his Green Clothes, but Link's Awakening for Nintendo Switch allows him to switch between all three tunics.
The theme played inside the Color Dungeon is a remixed version of the Dungeon theme from The Legend of Zelda.
- The Color Dungeon is the only location where Green Rupees are found in Link's Awakening DX.
- The Color Dungeon is referred to as "Level 0" on the Dungeon Map in Link's Awakening DX. This designation is not present in Link's Awakening for Nintendo Switch, however.
- "Color Dungeon" — N/A (Link's Awakening (Nintendo Switch))
- "New world of color under the 5 gravestones.
3 4 5
Try with all your might. Open a new path! Whoever is worthy receives the power of color. I wonder what the world of color is?" — Book (Link's Awakening DX)
- "Our colors are never the same! If I am red, he is blue! If he is red, I am blue! What color is my cloth?" — Gar (Link's Awakening DX)
- "Do you have the powder? If not, you must go back." — Gar (Link's Awakening DX)
- "Welcome, Link . I admire you for coming this far. I will give you the power of color. If you want offense, choose red. If you want defense choose blue. Which power do you want?" — Great Fairy (Link's Awakening DX)