Features and Overview
Clock Town is the largest town in Termina and is the region's center of government and commerce. The Town consists of four main sections, each named after one of the four cardinal directions on a compass, as well as a small area known as the Laundry Pool. Clock Town is located right in the center of both Termina Field and all of Termina.
Clock Town is completely surrounded by tall walls. There are only four entrances into the Town, each facing a different compass direction, and they are all constantly guarded by Soldiers. However, there is a small, secret entrance through a tunnel from East Clock Town to the Astral Observatory. However, this entrance does not make the Town particularly vulnerable due to the tall fence that surrounds the Observatory. Only Deku Link can get in by using a Deku Flower.
Clock Town is a very lively place. Many walls are painted with colorful patterns, and there are shops offering many wares and services. The annual Carnival of Time draws huge crowds of tourists. However, when Link arrived in Termina, Clock Town was on the verge of destruction by the falling Moon. This caused a large number of the townsfolk to flee, and the Town continued to empty as the days went by.
Clock Town is run by Mayor Dotour, who makes important decisions from his home in East Clock Town. The Mayor's wife, Madame Aroma, is in charge of scheduling performances for the Carnival of Time. Other important figures in town are the Head of the Town guard, Captain Viscen, and the Head of the Carnival Committee, Mutoh.
The Carnival of Time
- Main article: Carnival of Time
Every year, people from all over Termina come to Clock Town to celebrate the Carnival of Time. It is celebrated when the sun and the moon align to pay homage to the never-ending progress of both nature and time, and to request fruitfulness for the next year. It is customary to celebrate the Carnival wearing a hand-carved Mask that resembles the Four Giants, the guardian spirits of Termina.
South Clock Town
- Main article: South Clock Town
South Clock Town is considered to be the main hub of the Town, due to its large size and the fact that it connects to every other section. It is also the location for the namesake and the main structure of Clock Town, the Clock Tower. In this area, two Treasure Chests can be found.
West Clock Town
- Main article: West Clock Town
West Clock Town forms Clock Town's business district. All of the Town's shops are located along its winding road, including the Bomb Shop and the Curiosity Shop, which is only open after 10:00 P.M. West Clock Town is also the location of the Post Office, Lottery Shop, Trading Post, and Clock Town Bank in Majora's Mask. The Swordsman's School can also be found here for those who wish to improve their Sword skills. At night, the Rosa Sisters practice their Carnival dance at the northern end of West Clock Town.
East Clock Town
- Main article: East Clock Town
East Clock Town is where the main tourist attractions of the city are located, as well as the Stock Pot Inn for any travelers who wish to stay in town. Most of the businesses are minigames such as Honey & Darling's Shop and the Town Shooting Gallery. However, there is also the Milk Bar, a place for townsfolk and tourists alike to congregate and chat, as well as a venue for bands such as The Indigo-Go's to perform. The raised northern section is the location of the Mayor's Official Residence, as well as the entrance to the secret tunnel leading to the Astral Observatory.
This is also where the first Stray Fairy is located at night.
North Clock Town
- Main article: North Clock Town
North Clock Town is the least busy section in town, which has no buildings. It appears to be the Town's park as it is mostly covered in grass. There is also what appears to be a small play area for children in the northeast corner, and the Deku Scrub Playground is located down a hole in the southwest, right next to the entrance to Clock Town's Great Fairy's Fountain. North Clock Town has a reputation as an area where muggings occur. This is proven true when the thief Sakon attempts to steal the Bomb Shop's bag from the Old Lady during Link's first night in Termina.
- Main article: Laundry Pool
The Laundry Pool is the smallest section of Clock Town, located in the southwest corner. At first sight it looks like a rather insignificant place, but becomes an important location in the Reuniting Kafei and Anju sidequest. It features an entrance to the Curiosity Shop's backroom where Kafei lives inside, a member of the Frog Choir, and a bench where Guru-Guru sits at night.
This is also where the first Stray Fairy is located during the day.
- Each day in Clock Town has a different variation of the same melody. The First Day's theme features a fiddle playing the melody in a whimsical manner. The Second Day features the melody on an Ocarina and fiddle, and is very similar to the First Day's theme, albeit with fewer instruments playing at a time. The Final Day features a variation on ocarina that is far more frantic than the first two days and has an occasional diminished harmony in the background that gives a very ominous and desperate tone.
- "Clock Town
A clock tower looms large over Clock Town, located in the middle of Termina Field. Residents here prepare for the Carnival of Time, a festival taking place in three days where they will pray to the gods of the four regions for a bountiful harvest." (Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 110 (MM))
- "I'm terribly sorry! There are no vacancies today... We've been booked solid with reservations. It's always this way before the carnival. I'm sorry." — Anju (Majora's Mask)
- "Come back to what?? Won't this town be crushed beneath the moon the morning after tomorrow?" — Anju's Mother (Majora's Mask)
- "It looks like this is it for this town, you know. You saw the moon, didn't you? It's gotten so huge. All the townsfolk have fled. You should flee, too. Far away..." — Guard (Majora's Mask)
- "Mr. Dotour Mayor of Clock Town. V.I.P." — N/A (Majora's Mask)
- "Madame Aroma, the Mayor's Wife In charge of town performances" — N/A (Majora's Mask)
- "Captain Viscen! ...The Mayor's orders are absolute!" — Guard (Majora's Mask)
- "Urgently Recruiting! Workers wanted to build the festival tower for the carnival. See Mutoh." — N/A (Majora's Mask)
- "Each year, the season of harmony begins when the sun and moon are in alignment. Paying homage to the way that both nature and time are tirelessly in the process of progressing... the Carnival of Time is when the peoples of the four worlds celebrate that harmony and request fruitfulness for the year." — Anju's Grandmother (Majora's Mask)
- "For ages, people have worn masks resembling the giants who are the gods of the four worlds." — Anju's Grandmother (Majora's Mask)
- "Have you been to the Clock Tower plaza yet?" — Anju (Majora's Mask)
- "They're twins just like us! Can you believe it? I think they're practicing somewhere in West Clock Town right now." — Twin Jugglers (Majora's Mask)
- "Please, hear my plea! The masked Skull Kid has broken me apart and scattered my pieces! Please find a way to return me to the Fairy Fountain in North Clock Town." — Stray Fairy (Majora's Mask)
- "Kafei Strange youth seen near Laundry Pool" — Bombers' Notebook (Majora's Mask)
|Names in Other Regions|
|Italian||Cronopoli||From the Greek word κρόνος, time, and the suffix -poli, city.|
|SpanishEU||Ciudad Reloj||Clock City|
|Clock Town Areas|