Purple Chu Jelly from Twilight Princess
Restoring certain vitals
|Comparable Item(s)||Jelly Blob|
Chu Jelly is a recurring item in The Legend of Zelda series. It is an item retained from defeating a Chuchu, and has restorative properties. Depending on the game, it can either be used as an ingredient to make Potions or can be scooped up and used in its current state in a Bottle.
Location and Uses
The Wind Waker
In The Wind Waker, Link can obtain Chu Jelly either by defeating a ChuChu or stealing it from the ChuChu with the Grappling Hook. The Jelly is then kept in the Spoils Bag. They cannot be used as an item until the Chu Jelly is given to Doc Bandam on Windfall Island to brew into Potions. Doc Bandam already has the Red Potion available, while Green Potion and Blue Potion must first be created by giving him 15 Chu Jellies of the respective color. Once Doc Bandam has made one Potion from the first batch of Chu Jellies and has given Link a free sample, that Potion will then be available for purchase from his store. Link can also continue to give Doc Bandam five additional Chu Jellies of any color to receive a free Potion. Jellies can also be sold to Beedle for one Rupee each.
There are three types of Chu Jelly available:
- Red Chu Jelly: dropped by Red ChuChus and makes Red Potions.
- Green Chu Jelly: dropped by Green ChuChus and makes Green Potions.
- Blue Chu Jelly: dropped by Blue ChuChus and makes Blue Potions. Only one Blue Chu Jelly can be obtained per Blue ChuChu, for a total of 23 jellies.
In Twilight Princess, Chu Jelly can be found by defeating Chus. Unlike The Wind Waker, once a Chu is defeated, its dissolving remains can be scooped up into an empty Bottle and be used as drinkable Chu Jelly.
There are several different types of Chu Jelly available:
- Purple Chu Jelly: obtained from Purple Chus. It has a random effect when drunk. Usually it drains one Heart, but it can occasionally restore one or all of Link's Hearts. Purple Chu Jelly can also drain Link's health down to a quarter of a Heart.
- Yellow Chu Jelly: obtained from Yellow Chus. It has the same use as Lantern Oil and can be used to refuel the Lantern. It can also be scooped with the Lantern to instantly refill it as well.
- Red Chu Jelly: obtained from Red Chus. It has the same effect as Red Potions and restores eight Hearts.
- Blue Chu Jelly: obtained from Blue Chus. It has the same effect as Blue Potions and restores all Hearts.
- Rare Chu Jelly: obtained from Rare Chus. It has the same effect as Great Fairy's Tears, which restores all Hearts and grants Link double attack power for a short time. This Jelly has to be obtained quickly, as if the Rare Chu merges with another kind of Chu, it will become that Chu's color. If Link has Rare Chu Jelly already, Yellow Chu will appear instead of the rare one.
- Green Chu Jelly: obtained from Green Chus. It has no effect when drunk. Green Chus only appear when a Blue and Yellow Chu merge in the Wii and HD versions of the game (they create a Purple Chu in the GameCube version), which can only occur in the Cave of Ordeals. In the Wii version, the Green Chu Jelly has no description on the item subscreen and no text appears when it is obtained; in Twilight Princess HD, text was added in both cases, even referencing the fact that is has no effect when drunk.
- It is speculated that the Green Chu and its Chu Jelly in Twilight Princess might be a leftover from an earlier version of the game, and that the Green Chu Jelly was intended to be used to restore Link's Magic Meter, which was present in early versions of the game before being removed.
- Black Chu Jelly also exists in the game data of Twilight Princess, but is inaccessible in normal gameplay.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Chu Jelly||Red Chu Jelly||Green Chu Jelly||Blue Chu Jelly||Yellow Chu Jelly||Purple Chu Jelly|
|FrenchEU||Gelée Chuchu||Gelée Chuchu Rouge||Gelée Chuchu Verte||Gelée Chuchu Bleue|
|German||Schleim-Gelee||Rotes Gelee||Grunes Gelee||Blaues Gelee||Gelbes Gelee||Lila Gelee|
|Italian||Gelatina ChuChu||Gelatina ChuChu Rossa||Gelatina ChuChu Verde||Gelatina ChuChu Blu||Gelatina ChuChu Gialla||Gelatina ChuChu Viola|
|SpanishEU||Jugo de chuchu||Jugo de chuchu rojo||Jugo de chuchu verde||Jugo de chuchu azul|
- "There's a gelatinous substance in the red jelly. It's an effective cure for exhaustion, but it can't be used in its current state." — Inventory (The Wind Waker)
- "There's a gelatinous substance in the green jelly. that is filled with magic power, but you can't use it in its current form." — Inventory (The Wind Waker)
- "There's a gelatinous substance in the blue jelly that is a cure-all, but you can't use it in its current state." — Inventory (The Wind Waker)
- "You put green Chu Jelly in your bottle! It doesn't look all that tasty..." — N/A (Twilight Princess HD)
- "Jelly from a green Chu.
*Set it to [Y], [X] or [R] and drink it, though it doesn't look like it will do much..." — Items Screen Description (Twilight Princess HD)
- "Jelly from the black Chu. It smells bad even with the lid closed. Looks like you can set it to and drink it with [Y] or [X], but..." — N/A (Twilight Princess)
- "You put black Chu Jelly in your bottle! Ugh! That color! It looks really bad for you. You can set it to [B] on the ["-"] screen and use [B] to drink it, but... Ewwwww!" — N/A (Twilight Princess)
- "Jelly from a black Chu. Even with the lid on, the acrid smell permeates the air. You should be able to drink it with [B], but..." — N/A (Twilight Princess)