Cheep-Cheeps are small fish that are solely encountered in underground side-scrolling areas, usually in flooded caves or dungeon passages. They swim slowly and pose little threat to Link, but can swim in varying patterns horizontally or vertically and make avoiding them tricky in certain instances. In some areas, they leap out of the water to attack Link from below, similarly to Cheep-Cheeps in the Mario series.
In Link's Awakening, Cheep-Cheeps are encountered in flooded, underground passages of dungeons, predominately in Angler's Tunnel and Catfish's Maw. Cheep-Cheeps slowly swim in the waters they inhabit. While they are generally docile, the Cheep-Cheeps in Catfish's Maw will jump out of the water when Link is near, however they can be stomped down if Link is right above them. Cheep-Cheeps are weak enemies that can be destroyed by any manner of attack, including the Sword, which Link can swing while swimming underwater.
Oracle of Seasons
In Oracle of Seasons and Oracle of Ages, Cheep-Cheeps appear identically to those in Link's Awakening. They appear in flooded side-scrolling areas of caves and dungeons. As before, they can be attacked with the Sword while underwater. In Oracle of Ages, they can also be destroyed with the Switch Hook. In Oracle of Ages, Cheep-Cheeps can be found in the passages of Jabu-Jabu's Belly. In Oracle of Seasons, they are found in the underground tunnel between Sunken City and Mt. Cucco.
Four Swords Adventures
In Four Swords Adventures, Cheep-Cheeps are once again found in flooded side-scrolling areas of Stages. They swim slowly and threat to the Links, however as the Sword cannot be used underwater, they must simply be avoided. They are encountered at Lake Hylia, The Coast, Desert of Doubt, and Frozen Hyrule.
- The Link's Awakening Nintendo Player's Guide erroneously refers to these enemies as Cheep-Sheep.
- Bago-Bago, skeletal fish enemies from The Adventure of Link, have a similar attack pattern to Cheep-Cheeps in the Mario games that leap out of water in river areas.
Cheep-Cheep's Japanese name, Puku-Puku, is Japanese onomatopoeia for bubbling noises.
|Names in Other Regions|
- Cheep-Cheeps were also referred to as Cheep-Sheeps in The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening — Nintendo Player's Guide by Nintendo of America Inc.. However, because it contradicts the name given in Encyclopedia, this term is not considered Canon.
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 170 (LA | LADX | OoS | OoA | FSA)
- The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening — Nintendo Player's Guide by Nintendo of America Inc. , pg. 100