|Use(s)||Gives Charles magical power|
Charles's Necklace is an item featured in The Shadow Prince. As its name implies, it is a necklace that belongs to the knight of Moria, Charles, which was given to him by his great aunt. It is eventually discovered that the necklace is actually what gives Ganon the ability to disguise himself as Charles, and it is the only item that gives him his power.
The necklace is first introduced after Charles saves Link and Princess Zelda from an ambush of Moblins. Link notices his necklace is full of runes, and when he asks Charles what they mean, the knight evades the question and says that it is an ancient relic from Moria, having been passed down in his family for generations. Later on in the book, after Charles arrives to North Castle to meet the King of Hyrule, the king remarks about the necklace and asks if he may see it. However, Charles denies the king's permission with the excuse that he cannot take it off until he becomes king, as spoken of in Morian lore.
Eventually, Dowser, the court hound, comes in and growls at the Morian knight. The dog then lunges himself at Charles's neck, but Zelda holds him back. The book then offers a puzzle to give the reader a hint on what upset Dowser. When the puzzle is completed, it spells out the word "NECK," implying that the dog disliked Charles's necklace.
Towards the end of the book, if Link does not have the Blue Ring, he will face off Charles in order to retrieve the Triforce of Wisdom from him. Link will have a choice of either fighting by sword or try to take Charles's necklace. The true ending of the book can only be achieved if Link decides to go for the necklace, who will cut the necklace in two and cause for Charless to fall on his knees, exposing the Morian knight to be Ganon and thus disappearing into nothingness.
- "'This old thing?' charles says, with a flick of his hand. 'No magic there. My great aunt gave it to me. It's a keepsake.'" (The Shadow Prince (Mammoth), pg. 93)
- "Clapsed around his neck is an ornate gold necklace, with oddly-shaped turquoise stones fitted into the metal. They look like runes, but of a kind Link has never seen before. 'What do those runes mean?' Link asks. 'Nothing,' Charles says. 'The necklace is an ancient relic from Moria. It's been passed down in my family for generations.'" (The Shadow Prince (Mammoth), pg. 37, 38)
- "'Begging your highness's pardon, I'd rather you didn't. According to Morian lore, I'm not supposed to take it off until I'm king.'" (The Shadow Prince (Mammoth), pg. 93)
- "The dog licks his face, then Zelda's. But when he comes to Charles he growls, showing teeth." (The Shadow Prince (Mammoth), pg. 94)
- "Dowser growls again. Then, suddenly, he lunges for Charles's throat! Zelda has to pull the dog back." (The Shadow Prince (Mammoth), pg. 94)
- "With a neat chop he cuts the necklace in two. Charles gasps, clutching his throat. 'My necklace!' he cries. 'My beautiful necklace!' [...] Suddenly, Charless falls to his knees. [...] Charles's handsome features begin to melt away, exposing a grinning, bare skull with starving white eyesockets. [...] The evil wizard raises a claweed hand and Link suddenly feels as if he's under water. But Ganon's power isn't strong enough to stop Link from moving forward. [...] then, with a chilling shriek, he vanishes into thin air." (The Shadow Prince (Mammoth), pg. 96, 97)