Challenge Mode on the Select Mode screen
Challenge Mode is a game mode in Hyrule Warriors where players are given challenging battle scenarios to complete. First added to the game with the Version 1.2.0 update, the mode is greatly expanded upon following the Version 1.6.0 update and release of the Boss DLC Pack, which adds additional modes, including the Ganon's Fury mode, wherein the dark beast Ganon becomes playable in this mode only. Challenge Mode and its derivatives are absent in Hyrule Warriors Legends.
Challenge Mode pits Warriors in a battle scenario where they are given a challenge or a series of challenges to complete, with varying goals and difficulty. Some battles have timed challenges, wherein the task at hand must be completed within a certain time limit to succeed. The Version 1.6.0 update added the ability to record each Warrior's statistical data upon completing a battle scenario. This included the Warrior's rank, the amount of Rupees collected and what Weapon was used, among other things.
Battle Challenge is the default mode available to Challenge Mode. A score is now also kept after winning each battle as of the Version 1.6.0 update.
Battle Challenge originally featured only one battle scenario, entitled "Running Battle in Faron Woods". In this battle, the Warrior is placed in the Faron Woods and is given a series of challenges to complete, nearly all of which involve defeating a certain number of enemies within a time limit. Certain challenges have specific criteria, such as defeating a certain number of enemies using only Special Attacks or while in Focus Spirit. After successfully completing a challenge, the Warrior is ranked by how well they performed before starting on the next challenge. Depending on how well they did, the results of the last challenge may also increase the strength of the enemy troops. The final challenge tasks the Warrior with defeating both Volga and Wizzro.
Following the Version 1.6.0 update two additional battle scenarios, "Rush Battle!" and "Defeat 800 enemies!", were added to the section.
Boss Challenge is an additional mode available in the Boss Pack DLC. The mode features several battle scenario types of varying challenge, which are ranked in difficulty in Levels. More battles may be unlocked by winning previous battles under certain ranks. Boss Challenge rewards in new Costumes after winning certain battles with an A-Rank.
Boss Challenge features three types of battles:
- Defeat [number of] enemies!: Warriors are tasked with defeating a large number of enemies within an extended time limit. By defeating the Giant Bosses that appear on the battlefield, more enemy reinforcements can be made to appear.
- Brave Battle: Warriors are tasked with defeating an indefinite number of enemies until the timer runs out. Giant Bosses can also be defeated to make more enemy reinforcements appear.
- Survival Battle: Warriors are targeted by powerful Assassins and must fend them off in a series of waves. Healing is limited to spawns that require either meeting up with an ally or defeating a certain enemy troop.
Ganon's Fury is an additional mode available in the Boss Pack DLC. This mode features the dark beast Ganon as a playable character, and is the only mode where he is playable. Ganon appears as a giant beast and fights hordes of smaller enemies as well as Giant Bosses. Like Warrior characters, Ganon is able to perform attack combinations, as well as execute Special Attacks and Focus Spirit, and level up. As in Boss Challenge, Ganon's Fury features several battle scenario types of varying challenges. Battles are ranked in difficulty in Levels and more battles may be unlocked by completing previous ones in certain ranks. Like Battle Challenge and Boss Challenge, a score is also kept after winning each battle. Ganon's Fury also rewards in new Costumes after winning certain battles with an A-Rank.
Ganon's Fury features three types of battles:
- Defeat [number of] enemies!: Ganon is tasked with defeating an enormous number of enemies. This type of battle is not strictly timed.
- Giant Battle: Ganon must defeat the "Lords of the Horde", a number of Giant Bosses that control the battle field.
- Survival Battle: Assassins target Ganon and must be defeated in waves same as it was in Boss Challenge. Healing is also once again limited.
Ganon's Fury also features a new Giant Boss exclusive to this mode: the Great Fairy. The Great Fairy shares her moveset with Link's Great Fairy Weapon, only with the absence of Link and the Bottle she carries him in. The Great Fairy has the potential to restore the lost health of other Giant Bosses.
Cucco's Fury is a separate mode identical to Ganon's Fury, which instead features a giant Cucco as a playable character. This mode is unlocked after completing Survival Battle Lv. 3 in Ganon's Fury with an A-Rank. This mode features the same types of battles as in Ganon's Fury. As with Ganon, Cucco is able to perform attack combinations, execute Special Attacks and Focus Spirit, and level up.
|Names in Other Regions|
|FrenchEU||Mode défis||Challenges mode|