Cawlin is first seen talking with Groose and Strich about how they caught Link's Crimson Loftwing in their trap. Link overhears them, and Groose proceeds to taunt and berate him until Zelda arrives, distracting Groose as he becomes infatuated with her. Cawlin is also one of the four participants in the Wing Ceremony.
Cawlin has a crush on Karane and eventually asks Link to deliver a love Letter he wrote to her. However, Link has a choice between delivering the Letter to Karane or to Phoeni, who appears in the Knight Academy's restroom at night. Doing either will result in Link receiving five Gratitude Crystals.
If Link chooses to deliver the Letter to Phoeni, much to Cawlin's chagrin, she will read the Letter and end up falling in love with Cawlin. Phoeni will thereafter affectionately stroke his hair while he sleeps, and he will be plagued with nightmares. If Link delivers the letter to Karane, however, she rejects Cawlin, and in an ironic turn of events will end up entering a relationship with Pipit, who only realized he loved her after hearing she received a love Letter from someone else. This causes Cawlin to run away crying, and he can be found wallowing in despair in Groose's room thereafter.
- There is an inscription in the lower right hand corner of the chalkboard in the Knight Academy classroom that reads "Karane + Caw...". Although the source of the inscription is unknown, it was likely to have been written by Cawlin.
Cawlin's name is likely derived from "caw", onomatopoeia of the sound crows make.
|Names in Other Regions|
- "His criteria for judging a situation is based purely on whether it is a benefit to him. He is a schemer but will not take action publicly." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 24
- "You fool! How dare you! This is no ordinary piece of paper! It's a letter! A very special one at that! I put my heart into every word... I guess you could say it's sort of like a... All right, fine! It's a love letter!" — Cawlin (Skyward Sword)
- "So listen up! The person you must give it to is a girl... An upperclassman... Her name is Karane. You know who I mean, right? She's the one with the round hat. She's really cute. You know the one. And don't you dare...not even by mistake...even think of giving it to that weirdo in the restroom! Swear it!" — Cawlin (Skyward Sword)
- "This is the hand of a ghost. The ghost's original name is unknown. Judging from its appearance, I calculate a 90% chance it belonged to a young girl. Over 80% of ghosts are said to harbor some kind of unfulfilled desire. I suggest you cease being scared and speak to her." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "Didn't I specifically tell you NOT to give it to the weirdo in the restroom?! Seriously! I said it like five times! I know I did! You fool! How could you?! Anyone who blocks the path of true love deserves to be kicked by a bird! I hate you, Link!" — Cawlin (Skyward Sword)
- "It's good to see you again... Actually, thanks to you, I met my true love... Yes, him... It all started with that letter that you gave me... Those beautiful words of affection caused me to fall hopelessly in love..." — Phoeni (Skyward Sword)
- "Ever since you botched that mission with the letter, I've been having nightmares and can't get any sleep! It's just one thing after another! What is going on?! I wonder if that bed is cursed? Maybe it's Groose's revenge!" — Cawlin (Skyward Sword)
- "So, yeah... I have to say, he really put his heart into it and everything... I don't know... Maybe I should consider going out with Cawlin. ...Hah! As if!" — Karane (Skyward Sword)
- "When you told me about the letter, it was at that moment I finally realized. I realized that...I love her. I thought to myself, "I can't let anyone else take her from me!" If you hadn't told me, I might never have even noticed my own feelings for her. I'm so grateful. I don't know how I can ever thank you!" — Pipit (Skyward Sword)
- "It's over... It's all over... What do you want, Link?! Have you come to laugh at me in my miserable state? Just leave me alone!" — Cawlin (Skyward Sword)